Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
19 March 2024, 07:56:05 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Right planet, wrong universe. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkham Horror  (Read 9043 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 13 January 2008, 15:41:20 »

The year is 1926, and it is the height of the Roaring Twenties. Flappers dance till dawn in smoke-filled speakeasies drinking alcohol supplied by rum runners and the mob.
It's a celebration to end all celebrations in the aftermath of the war to end all wars.

Yet a dark shadow grows in the city of Arkham. Alien entities known as Ancient Ones lurk in the emptiness beyond space and time, writhing at the gates between worlds.
These gates have begun to open and must be closed before the Ancient Ones make our world their ruined domination.

Only a handful of investigators stand against the Arkham Horror. Will they Prevail?

It is the roaring 20‘s, and while there’s electricity in the air, unnatural storms are brewing as well. Strange things are happening in the small Massachusetts town of Arkham; people have gone missing, sightings of indescribable creatures grow more and more frequent. And the very air thickens with a sense of foreboding that roils like an acrid mist through the streets.

The Ancient Ones are stirring...

Arkham Horror was originally published by Chaosium, Inc. , in  1987. This new, updated edition features stunning new artwork and graphical design (including a new gameboard, counters, cards, and playing pieces) as well as revised and expanded rules from the game's original creator, Richard Launius.

Players can select from 16 unique playable investigator characters, each with unique abilities, and will square off against the diabolical servants of 8 Ancient Ones, including Ithaqua, Hastur, and the terrible Cthulhu! No fan of the Cthulhu Mythos will want to miss the opportunity to acquire this classic Call of Cthulhu board game!

Arkham Horror is a cooperative game for 1-8 players ages 12 and up, and can be played in 2-3 hours.

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page

Arkham Horror FAQ

The copyrightable portions of Arkham Horror, its expansions, accessories and miniatures are © 2005-2012 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Call of Cthulhu is a registered trademark of Chaosium, Inc. Used under license. Arkham Horror, its expansion titles and Fantasy Flight Supply are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2013, 12:01:22 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2008, 12:56:05 »

Once again, terror has come to New England, this time spreading to the small country town of Dunwich, just a few miles from Arkham. The area is filled with rolling hills, many of which are topped with mysterious stone circles or the ramshackle houses of the recluses who live outside of town. At night, the piping of the whippoorwills fills the air, while lightning bugs dance in the witch-haunted hallows. This is a place where dark pacts with unknown forces are made, and where city folk go to disappear without a trace. But however much the people of Dunwich may distrust outsiders, they desperately need your help against the Horror that has manifested on the Whateley farm...

Dunwich Horror adds 8 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 15 Item cards, 25 Unique Item cards, 21 Spell cards, 11 Skill cards, 5 Ally cards, 4 Condition cards, 28 Monster tokens, 36 Mythos cards and 32 Gate cards to the base set. It also adds new location cards, for a total of 14 cards at each location instead of 7. Dunwich Horror also adds many new mechanics. Players can take a train to Dunwich (a new board that is placed on the end of the Arkham board), which adds 9 new locations and 2 new outer worlds to the game. Players reduced to 0 stamina or sanity have the option of drawing from the Injury or Madness deck, acquiring permanent handicaps, rather than losing half their items and clue tokens. Gates are no longer permanently sealed (a popular house rule in the base game). Condition cards provide benefits to all players may be activated. And, of course, the Dunwich Horror itself - not as strong as the Ancient Ones, yet far stronger than any other monster in the game.

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 15:11:06 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2008, 12:59:12 »

A stange wind blows in Arkham. Mysterious strangers walk its streets and exotic artifacts trade hands in shady back-room deals. A museum exhibit of relics and tomes from ancient Egypt has come to town, and with it an influx of dangerous cultists, supernatural events, and the all-too-familiar danger of an Ancient One awakening from its slumber. Once again, the investigators are the only ones who can, through luck, lore, and courage, stop it.

Arkham Horror: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh
It seems harmless enough. Just a room full of dusty old antiquities, dug up from some old tomb in Egypt. Miskatonic U's faculty are all a tizzy, of course, but why did Professor Armitage go all pasty-white when he saw the Pharaoh's sarcophagus?

The weirdness didn't start until the next night ...

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh is the first expansion for Arkham Horror! Focusing on the thematic game play, amazing art, and strange tales that made the original game such a fan-favorite, this expansion includes 166 new cards!
•22 Exhibit Items, ancient relics from the visiting exhibit.
•18 "Barred from the Neighborhood" cards for unlucky investigators.
•4 Benefit and 4 Detriment cards with new and intriguing effects.
•45 new Arkham Location cards, 27 new Gate cards, 18 new Mythos cards, 21 new Spells, and 7 new Allies to make Arkham Horror bigger, scarier, and more exciting than ever before!

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page

Arkham Horror: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Revised Edition

“Know, O Thief, that these things are mine,
 For I am the Dark Pharaoh, him of the Crawling Chaos.
 Take what is mine and your blood will boil in your skin,
 As I reveal to you my Other Faces and my True Glory.”
     - Whispers of the Dark Pharaoh

Explore ancient mysteries with The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (Revised Edition). This updated and revised version of the 2006 Arkham Horror expansion adds a terrible threat to your game in the form of the Dark Pharaoh and his mysterious artifacts.

With new Exhibit Item and Exhibit Encounter cards, players can uncover the artifacts that have gone missing from the museum’s current “Legacy of the Pharaohs” exhibit. But beware! The Dark Pharaoh will not let his treasures go so easily. The Avatar of Nyarlathotep himself joins the fray with the Dark Pharaoh Herald sheet, spreading his curse throughout the game.

Finally, The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (Revised Edition) also adds Patrolled Neighborhoods, Benefits and Detriments, and Ancient Whispers, all creating additinal layers to your games of Arkham Horror.
 •Adds the Dark Pharaoh as a new Herald
•New Exhibit Item and Exhibit Encounter cards explore an eerie new museum exhibit in Arkham
•Benefits and Detriments add special investigator conditions to Arkham Horror
•90 Ancient One cards, 21 Spells, and 7 Allies

NOTE: This expansion is compatible with the Miskatonic Horror expansion.

Rules
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 18:24:12 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2008, 13:03:38 »

The infamous theatrical play, "The King in Yellow," has come to Arkham to steal the sanity of those who watch it. With it come artists who paint things that cannot be, writers who dream of black stars, and madmen who wish to drag the rest of humanity into the dark abyss. Lording over all of them is the King in Yellow himself. With the townsfolk being corrupted by the baleful yellow signs, can a few courageous investigators stop the King in Yellow before madness takes its toll?

The King In Yellow is an expansion for the Arkham Horror board game by Fantasy Flight Games. This expansion features:

* 1 Herald Sheet
* 1 sheet of tokens
* 90 new Ancient One cards
* 6 new Investigator cards, including new Items, new Spells, and the terrible blighted Allies

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 15:10:35 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2008, 13:05:59 »

Return once more to H.P. Lovecraft's vision of Massachusetts, this time to explore the dream-haunted shores of misty Kingsport, a city where the dimensional barriers are at their thinnest. But this place also has poweful guardians, so perhaps the investigators will find someone - or something - willing to help them in their battle against the Ancient One.

Kingsport Horror introduces new game concepts to the Arkham Horror board game, including wandering dimensional rifts, Epic Battle cards, Guardians, and elusive monsters that must be tracked down before they can be fought. Kingsport also adds eight new investigators, four new Ancient Ones, two new Heralds, over 20 new monster markers, encounters, and an expansion board featuring the city of Kingsport. All in all, this expansion adds over 300 new cards to the base game.

Kingsport Horror requires a copy of Arkham Horror to play.

Contents:
* 1 Game Board
* 1 Rulebook
* 8 Investigator Sheets
* 3 Guardian Sheets
* 4 Ancient One Sheets
* 2 Herald Sheets
* 24 Monster Markers
* 3 Rift Markers
* 2 Waterway Tokens
* 12 Rift Progress Tokens
* 4 Gate Markers
* 1 Skill Slider
* 48 Eihort's Brood Markers
* 8 Bast Tokens
* 8 Investigator Markers
* 112 Investigator cards
* 36 Arkham Location Cards
* 56 Kingsport Location Cards
* 22 Mythos Cards
* 32 Gate Cards
* 16 Epic Battle Cards
* 45 Ancient One Plot Cards

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 15:11:44 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2009, 20:00:32 »

A dangerous cult has risen in Arkham! Meeting in secret, these heretics and madmen consort with dark powers and offer up sacrifices to the Ancient One, while hordes of vicious monsters descend on the town. It's up to a small band of investigators to infiltrate the cult and learn from these dark rituals, yet even the most pure-hearted may find himself corrupted in the process. Will their efforts be enough to stop the Ancient One from awakening, or will the investigators succumb, one by one, to the blasphemous seduction of its Herald, the Black Goat of the Woods!

The Black Goat of the Woods is an expansion for the Arkham Horror board game. This expansion features:
* 88 new Ancient One cards
* 9 new monster markers
* 1 Herald Sheet
* 90 new Investigator cards including new items, new spells, and the dangeorus lure of corruption...

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page
« Last Edit: 24 January 2010, 23:10:22 by zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2009, 17:27:53 »

Of all the cities found in HP Lovecraft's vision of Massachusetts, perhaps none is quite so deadly as the small fishing village of Innsmouth. Decrepit and dying, Innsmouth is being consumed from within by an ancient pact once made to save the town. The investigators will find every hand turned against them as they explore its rotting docks and fetid beaches. In the end, perhaps the only way to save Innsmouth is by destroying it along with the terrible creatures that haunt its waters near Devil Reef.

Innsmouth Horror introduces several new game concepts to the Arkham Horror board game, including Personal Stories unique to each investigator as well as the Innsmouth Look. The town of Innsmouth is hostile to the investigators, and they may well find themselves thrown in jail and fed to a Shoggoth while they search the town for evidence to call in the Feds. However, leaving Innsmouth to fester is a bad idea, since the Deep Ones will gather and rise, bringing with them the Ancient One. Innsmouth Horror also adds 16 new investigators, eight new Ancient Ones, two new Heralds, Epic Battle Cards for the new Ancient Ones, over 30 new monster markers, plenty of new encounters, and an expansion board featuring the town of Innsmouth. Over all, this expansion adds over 300 new cards to the base game.

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page

Contents:
  • 1 Rulebook
  • 1 Game Board
  • 16 Investigator Sheets
  • 16 Investigator Markers
  • 16 Plastic Investigator Stands
  • 96 Personal Story Cards
  • 8 Ancient One Sheets
  • 2 Herald Sheets
  • 36 Arkham Location Cards
  • 42 Innsmouth Location Cards
  • 36 Mythos Cards
  • 16 Gate Cards
  • 24 Ancient One Plot Cards
  • 10 Innsmouth Look Cards
  • 12 Small Dust Cards
  • 32 Monster Markers
  • 6 Deep One Uprising Tokens
  • 8 Ghatanothoa’s Visage Tokens
  • 2 Aquatic Markers
  • 1 Zhar Token
« Last Edit: 24 January 2010, 23:13:17 by zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2010, 02:40:20 »

A new expansion announced for Arkham Horror, below is an extract from Fantasy Flight, follow the picture link above for more details..

The Lurker at the Threshold is the newest boxed expansion set for Arkham Horror, the classic cooperative board game for 1-8 players, set in a world of gothic horror created by author H. P. Lovecraft. This expansion will bring new levels of dread to your table top, with the addition of a brand new Herald Sheet for "The Lurker at the Threshold" – a powerful and malevolent being that has appeared to prepare the way for the Ancient One, plus more than 200 components and some extraordinary new game mechanics to boot.

The Lurker at the Threshold is an expansion for the Arkham Horror board game by Fantasy Flight Games.

This expansion features:

• 1 Herald Sheet
  • 18 new Gate markers
  • 110 new Ancient One cards
  • 56 new Investigator cards, including new items, new spells, Relationship cards, and horrific Dark Pacts made with the powers beyond!
This is not a standalone product. A copy of Arkham Horror is required to play.

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page
« Last Edit: 10 July 2010, 18:29:46 by zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2011, 03:19:00 »

A recent find at Miskatonic University has unearthed even more mysteries pertaining to the strange happenings in Arkham, Massachusetts. While the worshippers of the Ancient One grow in strength, the stalwart defenders of this sleepy town are put to the ultimate test.

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of Miskatonic Horror, an expansion for Arkham Horror. The fight against the unknown forces of the cosmos is far from over, and those that thought they stood a chance against the mythos have a lesson to learn.

Miskatonic Horror is a new type of Arkham Horror expansion that builds upon the materials found in the ample library of other Arkham Horror expansions. While the components and rules found in Miskatonic Horror can be enjoyed with only the Arkham Horror base game, the more expansions you incorporate, the more aspects of Miskatonic Horror you can enjoy.

With nearly 450 new cards, Miskatonic Horror adds new Mythos and Location cards for Dunwich, Kingsport, and Innsmouth, as well as new cards for Gates, Epic Battles, Relationships, Injuries, Madness, Skills, Blights, and much more. Miskatonic Horror provides new materials for every Arkham Horror expansion.

Continue your Investigations

Miskatonic Horror includes:
  • New Skill, Gate, and Mythos cards for the Arkham Horror base game
  • Additional Exhibit Item cards for Curse of the Dark Pharaoh
  • New Injury, Madness, Dunwich Location, and Dunwich Horror cards for Dunwich Horror, as well as an all new Dunwich Horror Herald sheet
  • More Blight and Act cards for The King in Yellow
  • New Kingsport Location, Epic Battle, Blessings of Noden, and Visions of Hypnos cards for Kingsport Horror
  • Over 20 new Cult Encounter cards for The Black Goat of the Woods
  • New Innsmouth Location and Innsmouth Look cards for Innsmouth Horror
  • Additional Relationship cards and Reckoning cards for Lurker at the Threshold
  • Plus new Player reference sheets and a new Institution variant!

Rules
Boardgamegeek Page
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 18:26:39 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: