Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 March 2024, 11:59:14 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Oh er.... THAT party. - Zaphod
Linked Events
  • Autumn Beer & Pretzels 2015: 17 October 2015 - 18 October 2015

• Signups have closed
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn Beer & Pretzels 2015  (Read 3977 times)
Spirit Games
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Spirit Games

« on: 14 August 2015, 01:03:23 »

Autumn Beer & Pretzels 2015
By Sally
Autumn Beer & Pretzels 17/18th October 2015

1 Bridge Street, Burton on Trent DE14 1SY and
Burton Bridge Inn, Burton Bridge Brewery (opposite the hotel)

Details:
Just across the road from Spirit Games, so the free board games library and extra playing space will be available.

Real ale from Burton Bridge Brewery at the hotel as well as the pub Bar snacks and hot food – all day both days at the hotel, and on Saturday evening at the pub.

Dates:
Saturday: 11 noon – 11pm Sunday: 11 noon – 8pm

Pre-booking advised, but with extra space it will probably be OK to turn up on the day. On Saturday ring the shop to check.

For light relief between serious game, we have use of the pub's SKITTLE ALLEY Saturday afternoon and evening.

Tickets:
£4 per day, £6 for both days.

Contact Details
01283 511293
salnphil@spiritgames.com

Spirit Games (Est. 1984)-Supplying role playing games (RPG), wargames rules, miniatures, scenery, board and card games for the last 36 years For enquiries ring 01283 511293 or email salnphil@spiritgames.co.uk, or by arrangement at Units 267+268,B.E. Webbe Storage,Wharf Rd, Burton, DE14 1PZ
Spirit Games
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Spirit Games

« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2015, 14:12:15 »

Beer & Pretzels 7 Wonders Tournament
Throughout the weekend there will be two copies of 7 Wonders available for tournament play – tournament entry cost is £2, every player gets a promo card, up to 28 players can enter. Once we have six or seven players a game can get under way, at the end of the weekend the two highest scorers will get a playmat and alternative art pack, third and fourth just the art pack (it's very nice).

Spirit Games (Est. 1984)-Supplying role playing games (RPG), wargames rules, miniatures, scenery, board and card games for the last 36 years For enquiries ring 01283 511293 or email salnphil@spiritgames.co.uk, or by arrangement at Units 267+268,B.E. Webbe Storage,Wharf Rd, Burton, DE14 1PZ
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2015, 16:12:25 »

Another year and another Autumn Beer & Pretzels has been and gone. As always a big thankyou to Spirit Games for running this additional event. The Three Queens Hotel provided the venue and a good selection of reasonably priced food as always.

There is a few downsides to the venue in that the main gaming space is in the area used for the breakfasts with additional space provided in the Atrium and other rooms dotted around in another part of the hotel. People also use the bar area for some games. The problem with all this is that it is not easy to find a game or players waiting to play without running around all the areas which may mean you miss someone or lose your space at a table. This tends to mean that usually people end up playing in the same groups with occasional swaps within the same area or grabbing the odd stray gamer as they pass Wink

Not sure there is really any easy way around this and people do seem to manage to play games all day/night so its not a huge problem.

On the Saturday I managed to play the following games:
Istanbul with Istanbul: Mokka and Bakschisch
I really liked the original game and was keen to check out how it played with the expansion. In the end it proved to be a fantastic addition to the base game which provides more options without overly complicating the game. As always the result was close with the other players within a turn of winning after I pipped them to earning my last crystal.

Isle of Skye
I really like this game it has simple mechanics and is always a joy to play. The game has four scoring tiles which are scored in various combinations over 6 rounds. The scoring tiles are chosen from a larger set so each game will be different. There is a unique bidding system for gaining new tiles which works quite well. A really fun enjoyable game where you have to adapt your game as each different scoring combo comes up.

Revolution!
This was another game played with an expansion in place adding new locations with negative scoring which provided for some more tactical play. Essentially a bidding game with Money/Blackmail/Force tokens which outrank each other in that order, combinations can be used as well to break ties. Certain actions you bid for only accept certain tokens making for more choices to be made. The actions sometimes get you tokens or influence points (vp's) or allow you to influence one of the buildings on the board also there can be combinations of all of these. The buildings are a majority control providing various amounts of points at the end of the game.
The new bits added some interesting additions to the base game I'd probably play this again but it's still not one I would actively seek to play over something else.

Red7
This was played as a filler whilst we were waiting for food to arrive in the evening, played a couple of rounds then were about to try out some of the additional rules we never get to try, as we always end up laying with new people, then a new player turned up.............  BangHead 

This is a really fun little game and quick to play.

Ultimate Warriorz
Last game of the evening for us and it looks pretty the components are of a decent quality as is the artwork. The box doubles as the arena with the addition of some cardboard pillars placed around the edges. Last man standing brawl or whoever has gained the most points by inflicting damage on other players. Great fun, plays quite quickly and with a hand of cards containing actions, movement, defence, some special moves as well as initiative some careful choices need to be made.

I'll post another report on the Sunday games....

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: