Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
18 April 2024, 03:36:31 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Count the heads. - Zaphod Beeblebrox
Linked Events
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 06 January 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 13 January 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 20 January 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 27 January 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 03 February 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 10 February 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 17 February 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 24 February 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 02 March 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 09 March 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 16 March 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 23 March 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 30 March 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 06 April 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 13 April 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 20 April 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 27 April 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 04 May 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 11 May 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 18 May 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 24 May 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 01 June 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 08 June 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 15 June 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 22 June 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 29 June 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 06 July 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 13 July 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 20 July 2016
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 7pm: 27 July 2016

• Signups have closed
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spirit Games Wednesday Night - 2016  (Read 11650 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 06 January 2016, 19:48:24 »

Regular Burton Board Gaming at Spirit Games on Wednesday nights

We play a selection of new releases and old favourites, starting at 7.00pm and going on up to midnight. All are welcome, look at the the articles pages on our website to get an idea of what we have been playing over the past year or two.

Contact Details
salnphil@spiritgames.com
« Last Edit: 02 July 2016, 21:04:33 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2016, 01:16:19 »

The plan is to Mombasa, I believe Chris is up for a game and maybe a Richard if we can prise him away from Food Chain Magnate for one evening :whistle: not sure who else might be interested but not sure if we should go to 4players yet or not?

I hope to have a slightly better handle on the rules but not promising I'll be any better at teaching it yet  Roll Eyes  Embarrassed  Undecided

Given the time it took on Sunday I would like to get this started early(ish) so I may just turn up, grab a larger table and start laying it out ready....

Wow .. Plans and things is this really a wed night @ Spirit  Tongue

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Forum Staff
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2016, 15:33:20 »

Quote from: StroppyGnome
I'll be bringing my own copy of Mombasa as well so will definitely be playing one of them. 4 players shouldn't take much longer than 3 I think - and the whole thing should go much quicker (and be easier to teach)now we know how to play. Otherwise we could get 2 games going.

We only got a couple of things wrong on Sunday in the end (card replenishment, multiple people with max quantities).
« Last Edit: 13 January 2016, 15:35:17 by Forum Staff » Logged
RichardD
Aware

« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2016, 15:36:04 »

I've left my copy of Mombasa at home.  But I'm making no promises - Food Chain Magnate is VERY good indeed, and always seems to play quickly enough if a certain teacher isn't around Wink
HairyDogWalker
Blissful Ignorance

« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2016, 15:36:44 »

I'm definitely up for trying Mombasa.

I should be there by 8pm, but I'll try to be earlier than that.  If you feel that you need to start before that, then so be it.  I won't hold it against you Smiley

Thanks

Chris
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2016, 16:26:42 »

Yeah not too much wrong:

Card Replenish - Remove the rightmost row - slide everything else over add new cards

Bonus Abilities/Actions from company track - Not usable until NEXT turn.

Max Abilities: If tied, all tied players can take the bonus action, subject to usual turn order.

Not sure if this actually happened but: Every person that passes the money reward on a company track gets the reward and everyone else that has already passed it gets it again!

The bookeeper used to move the inkwell does not count towards the entry requirement to a book you would need a 2nd one.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2016, 01:49:16 »

So got to play Mombasa with Steve and Chris. The game takes a little setting up but not too bad and this time the rules explanation was a little easier having now played it fully once. Though there is still a lot of ground to cover and I'm sure I wondered off on tangents here and there.

Still, this is not a short game, as the rules take sometime to cover and the game provides a lot of meaningful decisions to make as it trundles along.

I found myself not properly concentrating on the game so seemed to be trying to accomplish too many goals rather than sticking with one or two. You have to adapt to the way others play and on how the companies progress, as well as the cards that come into play.

I found my final score was a worse than my first but I still enjoyed the experience immensely and look forward to playing this again.

This ended up being the only game I played that night, not that was a problem in any way.

Great game that will have plenty of replayability with the variable setup options post the training wheel stater layout.

I don't have the scorepad to hand but the others were streaks ahead of me  BangHead  Dont Know

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2016, 01:54:51 »

So I guess the inevitable question is what are those of us not playing Food Chain Magnate going to play this Wednesday?

Does anyone have a preference they want to bring along or request is brought along by someone?

Regards,
Zarniwoop

RichardD
Aware

« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2016, 10:29:08 »

So I guess the inevitable question is what are those of us not playing Food Chain Magnate going to play this Wednesday?

Does anyone have a preference they want to bring along or request is brought along by someone?

Dare I suggest Food Chain Magnate?
« Last Edit: 19 January 2016, 10:31:47 by RichardD » Logged
RichardD
Aware

« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2016, 10:30:54 »

So got to play Mombasa with Steve and Chris. The game takes a little setting up but not too bad and this time the rules explanation was a little easier having now played it fully once. Though there is still a lot of ground to cover and I'm sure I wondered off on tangents here and there.

Still, this is not a short game, as the rules take sometime to cover and the game provides a lot of meaningful decisions to make as it trundles along.

I found myself not properly concentrating on the game so seemed to be trying to accomplish too many goals rather than sticking with one or two. You have to adapt to the way others play and on how the companies progress, as well as the cards that come into play.

I found my final score was a worse than my first but I still enjoyed the experience immensely and look forward to playing this again.

This ended up being the only game I played that night, not that was a problem in any way.

Great game that will have plenty of replayability with the variable setup options post the training wheel stater layout.

I don't have the scorepad to hand but the others were streaks ahead of me  BangHead  Dont Know

Andy taught Mombasa in the other room, too. He and one other player had played before. Andy was slightly concerned to discover at the end of our game that he'd lost by three points to one of the new players!

I never quite understood books until the end, so ignored them. But y can score quite well by tolling out on the diamonds track.
HairyDogWalker
Blissful Ignorance

« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2016, 11:12:50 »

I'm easy this week. I don't mind doing Mombasa again, to try and make the rules stick. Next week, I'd like to play Inhabit the Earth, which I should be picking up tomorrow with my birthday gift vouchers.
Forum Staff
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2016, 14:44:35 »

Quote from: StroppyGnome
I'd be up for a full-fat, no training wheels Mombasa where everyone has played before (so we can concentrate on the tactics of the game as opposed to learning/teaching it). It's one of those games (much like Food chain magnate) where your first game is a learning game.

On a (much) lighter note I'd like to get in a game of Fantastiqa since I'm still carrying it around(Perhaps before Chris turns up? It supposedly runs to about an hour.)  
« Last Edit: 19 January 2016, 14:45:10 by Zarniwoop » Logged
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #12 on: 02 July 2016, 21:00:02 »

This evening we started with Kodama whilst we awaited more players. Always a fun game but given the last couple of games some people have ended up with a bunch of low scoring cards I am thinking maybe a variant where people can discard some for fresh cards.

Several games finished around the same time so we split up and I played some older classics with Francis and Nic.

The first was Blue Moon City always enjoy playing this one and we were pipped to the post by Nic who managed an excellent win. We finished off with a game of Samurai this being the original version not the recent reprint. Another fun game albeit with a slightly complex scoring system. This time Francis managed a stealthy instant win by having the most of 2 different items.

All in all another fun evening and looking forward to next week.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

RichardD
Aware

« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2016, 00:58:13 »

I've completely forgotten what we played.

I seem to recall a quick round of Multiuniversum; I think we played adventure 2 of Legends of Andor. Oh, and Guilds of London - which went really slowly, as both Luke and Andy thought that they could somehow beat me by thinking long and hard about their moves on what was their first ever game. Which meant that instead of winning by a huge margin after a quick game, I won by a huge margin after a slow one.
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2016, 01:13:53 »

Wed 13th July 2016

So we had a fairly packed shop this week with plenty of games being played.

Started this session with another game of Via Nebula though this time I was in the driving seat for teaching. Really fun game and this time, having learned what not to do from last game, I managed to get a score in double-digits!. Sadly for me but great for the cosmos it was not enough for the win

Next up was a game of Viticulture which I think I have only played once before a long time ago. Another fun game with some interesting choices along the way. My wine making skills were obviously lacking in this game as I came last.

Finally as Caz had arrived from Choir we settled down for a quick game of Red 7 a really excellent filler game. Caz romped home to the win on this one.

Another fun session and look forward to next week to see what we manage to play.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: