Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 15:07:27 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Arthur Philip Dent? You`re a jerk, a complete asshole. - Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading  (Read 2460 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 02 January 2019, 13:44:59 »

I think this is the year I really need to make a more conscious effort to read more.  It's seems a long time since I read a book and I have shelves of unread stories. 

It may be the spark to reignite my imagination and lift my spirits. I might even try to post here about what I read in a pseudo book club kinda way.  Obviously having to avoid major spoilers.

I'll give it a go, though as always best laid plans and all that 😀

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

PM
Lefthandrule
Mild Psychosis

« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2019, 15:18:19 »

For anyone wanting suggestions from my extensive reading list from the last year.

The Expanse series (the basis for the TV series) - Hard Sci-Fi

The Broken Earth Trilogy - N K Jemisin - Fantasy (The Stone Sky/The Obelisk Gate/The Fifth Season)

British Library Crime Classics - mainly 20's and 30's crime stories that were popular at the time but had gone out of print, several are available for free via Kindle Unlimited/Prime.

Artemis - Andy Weir (writer of The Martian) - Hard Sci-Fi

The Frontiers Saga - Ryk Brown - Space Opera

Elysium Fire - Alistair Reynolds - Far Future Sci-Fi Crime (Sequel to Aurora Rising (The Prefect))

And if you want just a massive pile of books to read just google David Weber - Honorverse novels.

Custard: A detestable substance produced by a malevolent conspiracy of the hen, the cow, and the cook.

Devil's Dictionary (1906)
slug
Lefthandrule
Unhinged

I will stop gaming when they pry the dice from ...

« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2019, 18:13:08 »

I have been reading EBooks for the past few years after one of my friends in the US gave me a memory stick with over 10,000 titles.
Big shout out to Steven Erikson and and the Tales of Malazan, 10 books in all and a brilliantly written series.
Also enjoyed Glen Cook and his Black Company series, probably another 10 books in all and definitely worth the read.
Stephen Lawhead done a different take on Robin Hood, really enjoyed that and I am on the last book by Joe Abercrombie in a 3 book fantasy series.
Either the quality of writing I am reading has improved or I am more easily pleased. I haven't stopped reading a book in a long time, plenty of good page turners.

...my cold dead fingers. Whats that dear, gaming? no no just going to do some shopping, I may be gone a little while.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: