Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 March 2024, 07:30:40 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Making it up? Why should I want to make anything up? Life`s bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it. - Marvin , The Paranoid Android
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burton, Beer and History  (Read 1775 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 03 October 2010, 12:33:58 »

There was a very unique vistor to Burton the other day who gave a talk about his great adventure to recreate an Old Beer brewed By Allsops Brewery.

I will not attempt to summarise this great adventure but rather direct you to his website where you can read about this unique and very interesting journey.

Links:
Arctic Alchemy - FaceBook Page
Arctic Alchemy - Website

This talk lead to a discussion about the Ind Coope Brewery building, recently vacated by the Spirit Group. This is now being restored and turned into flats. The developers in a unique gesture opened the doors of the building to ex-employees and local CAMRA members to look around before serious work begins. We had a talk from a local Historian - Arthur E Roe and a brief chat from Ian Webster - an ex-employee who has a large collection of salvaged documentation from Ind Coope which he is using as source material for a book.

The developer (Optima Cambridge Ltd) gave a short talk about their plans and he seemed passionate about the building and preserving the history and architecture which has either been hidden or damaged over the years. I would never have guessed how vast this building is, but it was fascinating to see and the building has a lot of beautiful architecture which will hopefully be preserved and restored as part of this redevelopment. The developer was keen to show us around and has said there will be other open days as work progresses so people can see what is being done to this lovely old building.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: