Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
23 April 2024, 18:51:22 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Oh er.... THAT party. - Zaphod
Linked Events
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 12 January 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 19 January 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 26 January 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 02 February 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 09 February 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 16 February 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 23 February 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 02 March 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 09 March 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 16 March 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 23 March 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 30 March 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 06 April 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 13 April 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 20 April 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 27 April 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 04 May 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 11 May 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 18 May 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 25 May 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 01 June 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 08 June 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 15 June 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 22 June 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 29 June 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 06 July 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 13 July 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 20 July 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 27 July 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 03 August 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 10 August 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 17 August 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 24 August 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 31 August 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 07 September 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 14 September 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 21 September 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 28 September 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 05 October 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 12 October 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 19 October 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 26 October 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 02 November 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 09 November 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 16 November 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 23 November 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 30 November 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 07 December 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 14 December 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 21 December 2011
  • Spirit Games Board Games Night - 8pm: 28 December 2011

• Signups have closed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spirit Games Wednesday Night - 2011  (Read 30607 times)
Spirit Games
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Spirit Games

« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2011, 19:55:28 »

13th April 2011

A little mention for Wednesday Night:

Four of us played Sutter's Mill which I had been keen to play again since trying it at Christmas. As the only one to have played before I gave out suitable advice (honest) but experience still showed. Chris and Carl soon saw what was going on and were reigning me in as best they could, and are both keen to try again to beat me at my own game. That's in a tactical sense, it's not physically my own game, the owner has taken it back to Ossett with him. Mind you, I suspect that if three people take the same approach, the fourth will sneak a victory amidst the squabbling. The game is quite simple in essence, easy to explain and set up, but timing your reactions to other players' moves is critical, with lots of tension building up as crunch time approaches. Quite a little classic, which has been completely overlooked.

Chris got his revenge at Hey, that's my Fish before we all headed for our beds.

Cheers, Phil

Spirit Games (Est. 1984)-Supplying role playing games (RPG), wargames rules, miniatures, scenery, board and card games for the last 36 years For enquiries ring 01283 511293 or email salnphil@spiritgames.co.uk, or by arrangement at Units 267+268,B.E. Webbe Storage,Wharf Rd, Burton, DE14 1PZ
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2011, 22:29:42 »

4th May 2011
Tonight was another go with Cargo Noir this time we had the full 5 players. This added a new dimension to the game making it much busier with more player interaction. The bidding was a lot more vicious and it was a little bit harder to get all the right good combinations to buy the VP cards.

The final scores were: Paul:70, Sal:75, Caz:90, Chris:90 and the winner Phil:100

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2011, 23:33:37 »

11th May 2011
We started the evening with a game of No Thanks a card game where the aim to to end up with the least points. 9 Cards are removed from the deck at the start, each card has a number on it, and each player is given 11 chips. The start player turns over the top card and either takes it or places a chip on it, if he takes the card he turns over another and repeats the same choice. If a chips is placed he next player either takes that card and the chip or places his own chip on. This continues until someone takes takes or is forced to take the card. Once the deck is exhausted players count their scores, any remaining chips count as a negative score. The trick is that if a player has a run of cards 15-16-17 for example, you only score the lowest card.

We played two games of this the scores as follows:
Paul:59, Neil:50, Caz:37 and the winner Sal:36
Paul:60, Sal:54, Caz:21 and the winner Neil:14

We then played a game of Speicherstadt a deceptively simple game that is simple to learn to play but takes a while to master the unique bidding system. This was only my 2nd game, the first with only 3 players, tonight's game had the full 5 players and it was a lot more cutthroat making getting hold of the rights cards to win harder.

Final scores were: Neil:7, Sal:11, Paul:12, Caz:16 and the winner Eric:17

We finished the end of with a couple of games of Coloretto. This is another simple little card game that is extremely fun to play and quick. All the cards are a different coloured Chameleon, some are just a +2 Point card and there is multicoloured Chameleon. The idea is to collect sets the more of one colour you can get the higher the score, You can only have 3 sets, any more and these count against you in the final scoring. A number of placeholder cards are placed centrally (1 for each player) then in turn each player either takes a card and placed under a placeholder or takes a set of cards. Each placeholder can have a Max number of cards under it, so players are either trying to add to a set to make it better for them or to scupper another player.

Scores were:
Neil:18, Caz:19, Eric:20 and the winner Paul:22
Sal:13, Neil:18, Paul:20, Eric:22 and the winner Caz:24

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2011, 11:54:59 »

25th May 2011

Tonight we started with a game of Braggart this is a fun little game where players try to build a story with a hand of cards. The cards come in different flavours Scene's, Deeds, Foe's, and Results with a minimum combination of Deed + Foe. Players arrange the cards to form a story, lower value cards provide hilarious but ridiculous stories and higher value cards produce more heroic exploits. Players can either accept someones tale or play various liar cards from their hand to replace cards with lower value equivalents from their hand. At the end of the round the player with the highest value tale keeps all of the cards for victory points and any other players with takes keep  one card and discard the rest. On your turn you can draw cards, start your tale or play Ploy cards which allow you various special actions. Play continues until the deck of cards is exhausted and players total their scores. This is a quick but hilarious game which produces some fantastic combinations in the stories. Really good game worthy of more plays. Final Scores: Phil:59, Paul:37, Sal:35 and Martin:33

The next game was Carpe Astra this is always a great game, Andy and myself had to brush the cobwebs from our memories for the rules but it was not difficult to get back into things. Players use network cards in conjunction with agents to influence various guilds to gain favour they can also use Slander cards to influence the guilds against other players. The aim is to collect sets of guilds tokens to score at the end of the game. The game lasts 10 rounds, each round aside from the first having bonus's for various actions. Final Scores: Paul:15, Andy: 13 and Martin:10

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2011, 22:43:38 »

8th June 2011

Started the evening off with a new game - "Go With the Flow Pirate Edition" where the players compete to collect treasure from the central island and be the pirates with the most at the end of the game. Players can also steal treasure from other pirates as they attempt to sail it back to their own island on the edge of the board.

On your turn you either train a new pirate onto your island, build a raft or set sail, you move orthogonally from your island turning one tile at a time. The tiles will reveal a tide or one of several special tiles, your choice is either to go with the flow and turn over the tile your are moved to or spend a coin to Steer which is to turn the tile 90° or weigh anchor if the flow is not where you want to go. On your next turn you can navigate away from your tile in the direction you choose.

Several tiles have whirlpools, sharks, Storms all of which have different effects on your boat and/or pirates. If you make it to the treasure island then you collect a treasure and on your next turn set off back to your island hoping to avoid fighting any other pirates on the way. You can also leave a pirate on treasure island which allows you to push an unmanned boat towards your island, hopefully, or construct a boat directly on treasure island.

I really enjoyed this, it is a fun little game that plays quite quickly as well as being quite tricky as you start with a small amount of money which does not get replaced so spending it needs to be done wisely.

We then went on to play yet another new game - "Zombie Close" a light Zombie game where each player controls 1 survivor and 3 zombies. The winner is the last man standing, survivors and zombies start in the middle of the board and then get moved around by the players. Survivors draw a card from a deck which provides an additional action or bonus on their turn, if the players get bitten after 5 turns or if they get bitten again, they become Zombies and draw from another deck of cards. Survivors or Zombie survivors get to move upto 6 squares, whereas the zombies get to move 1d6 squares (a single roll for all 3 zombies).

This was quite good fun, not very complicated and short enough to be intersting to try again. Zombie themed games are not really my bag but I did enjoy this.

« Last Edit: 20 June 2011, 21:15:33 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #20 on: 20 June 2011, 14:48:53 »

1st June 2011
This was the last wednesday prior to the UKExpo so Phil, Sal and myself had a go at Conquest of Planet Earth Phil having played this the week before undertook to teach the rest of us. Phil unfortunately did not remember as much as he thought, and we had a few rules hiccups along the way. I enjoyed playing this game and it has a Mars Attacks kind of feel to it, but I did feel there was something missing and I wanted more. For replay ability having different versions of the same game certainly provides plenty of options and is a very neat idea.

Phil Won this eventually Wink

Regards,
Zarniwoop

carldjcross
Staff
Unhinged

« Reply #21 on: 22 June 2011, 14:20:20 »

15th June

One of the things I really like about Wednesday night at Spirit is that someone always has something new and interesting to play. Or at least it's either new, interesting or fun to play. One of them.

Tonight Paul and Carol came armed with a game that was all three of those things. They picked up Medieval Mastery at the UK Games Expo direct from the designer, I know because he'd signed the box.

The game is a lite hex based wargame. The fully made up board is quite small forcing the players to interact sooner rather than later and if our game was anything to go by there was quite a lot of interaction. And by interaction I mean fighting.

After the first couple of turns it was only Paul and myself who hadn't scrapped and that was only because our armies couldn't see each other.

Much use was made of the randomly distributed “special powers” which give bonuses to attack or defence or cancel out other powers for instance. I suspect these will also give the game its replay value.

I sat in the Arena the whole game pretty much but it didn't do me much good. The Arena is the always the centrepiece of the otherwise randomly generated board and is worth more than anything else on the board.

Around me the battles raged but Carol managed to slip in the winning point due to one of her special powers (I think). But as with lots of games of this type it was a well balanced game ending in a close result.

If you ever get to play Traders of Carthage my tip would be not to scupper your own ships. Like I did on my first go.

Carol and Neil played much more cautiously and managed to protect their cargos long enough for them to score ending the game with 70 points each with Neil winning on tokens. 

Ekil erif, ekam erif. Erif, erif DiMaggio.
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2011, 23:54:50 »

22nd June 2011
Tonight we started off with 3 games of King of Tokyo which is an extremely fun little game. The artwork and components are of good quality befitting the style of the game. Essentially a dice game with players trying to get to 20 points first whilst trying to damage the other players, there are various cards which can be purchased which provide one off or permanent effects to you or other players. Players roll the dice upto 3 times keeping or discarding dice, the dice symbols mean you either collect energy (used to buy cards), cause damage, heal or score points.

To score points if you have 3 of a number (1, 2 or 3) you score that many points, if you score more than 3 of a number then you gain an extra point for each one. To heal for every Heart token you heal 1 point of damage, unless you are in Tokyo. For every lightning bolt you gain an energy cube which can be spent on cards during your turn and finally Fists represent damaging other players, those outside Tokyo hurt the player inside whilst those inside Tokyo damage all other players. Players in Tokyo can not heal but do gain points for going into or staying in Tokyo, if they are damaged by a player they can elect to leave forcing the other player into Tokyo.

This games plays really quickly and is immense fun providing a good open or close to a games evening.

We then Played Dixit a strange game where players have a hand of cards, with some superb artwork on them, and the active player says a word / phrase / tells a story / sings a song / makes a noise about one of his cards the other players then look through their hand and places a card they think matches this face down. The active player then takes all the cards, including his own, and shuffles them then places them face up in front of everyone stating which order the cards go in, players then vote for which card they think is the active players.

Scoring goes as follows:
If All or None guess correct the Active players card then 2 VP for All Other Players
If only Some guess correct 3 VP for Active Player and Correct Players
Each Incorrect Guess 1 VP for Card Owner

This is a quaint and quite funny game, especially in the right company but this did not really float my boat as this kind of creative on the spot type thing just makes me uncomfortable as I am just not that good at it. Good fun was had by all but this is not one I would leap at playing again given a choice.

Finally we played Tombouctou The components and artwork on this game are of a very good quality, not unsurprising as it is a Queen Games production. The rules are quite simple, well laid out and well written.

Each player has a number of camels (each lettered), a number of lettered cards (matching the camels) and a set of cards showing where in the next oasis thieves will rob camels. At the start of the games players place their camels at random on the starting pitches, with the only restriction they have to have a camel in each line once all the camels are out play begins. Players are dealt a set pf 3 cards which show which pitches, on which lines will have 2 types of goods stolen from, On a piece of paper players mark, in secret, where they know the thieves will strike then select their first camel to move.

Each line of camels has a choice of two lines to move to in the next oasis for free, or by paying one good can move to any line. Players reveal which camel they want to move, and move them in turn order to the front most empty space of their chosen line, 2 spaces have card symbols which means players pass round to the left their thieve cards. At some point the players will know where thieves will strike at 3 out of the 5 lines so there is always an element of risk for everyone. Once all the camels have been moved the thieves attack camels on those pitches lose the goods indicated, if they have them. The thief cards are then collected back in, shuffled, and a new set dealt to each player for the next oasis.

Once the players reach Tombouctou and resolve the last theft players score their camels. Each good they have left is worth the number of that type stolen throughout the game, for example if you have 3 water left and 10 have been stolen you Score 30 for your water. You work out your score for each good and then total it all up, the player with the most wins! Smiley

This is incredibly good fun, produces some funny moments during play and very very enjoyable.

Final Scores: Paul:93, Caz:98, Phil:100 and Luke/Martin:141 (Last minute sub when Luke had to dash!)

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2011, 22:31:54 »

29th June 2011

Tonight we got to play another game of Navegador players represent traders exploring unknown regions and building up trade routes to build and expand the empire.

Players explore, trade, build, buy workers, gain privileges all to earn VP's. The board and pieces are extremely well made, look excellent and fits the theme nicely. This is by no means a short game to play as players have a lot of action choices made by moving their playing piece around a Rondel. There is plenty to think about with a fine balance being made between building up ships/buildings/churches or keeping cash reserves for later rounds. Every choice and action has significance so you have to plan your go carefully with a mind of what you need to do next time, hence why this game plays a little longer than it says on the box Smiley. That said it is quite an enjoyable game and you rarely notice the time it takes to play as it is engaging throughout, even when it is not your turn. A good game, one that I will play again. I think we did manage to miss/get wrong several rules along the way as it had been a long time since we last played but that's only to be expected final scores were: Caz:103, Paul:121 ans Phil:129
« Last Edit: 21 July 2011, 22:35:04 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2011, 22:49:23 »

6th July 2011
The shop was packed to the rafters with gamers tonight, so in order to get a table Myself, Carl and Caz were forced (terrible I know) to go over the road to play in the Roebuck pub, a huge sacrifice but someone had to make the gesture.

We took over some small games that would fit on the table and started the evening off with Sumeria a really excellent little game from Reiver Games sadly shut down but was an excellent independent games maker. Final Scores Paul:19, Carl:28 and Caz:50

Followed this with a game of Go with the Flo (Pirate Edition) an excellent little game with some quality pieces and simple gameplay. Final Scores: Carl:1, Caz & Sal:3, Paul:4

Finally we closed the evening off with a classic favourite Guillotine set in the French revolution players attempt to collect the most valuable heads of the Aristocracy in order to get the most points and win. Really funny game with some excellent artwork and humorous action cards. Final Scores: Paul:12, Sal:15, Carl:17 and Caz:24

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2011, 23:01:26 »

13th July 2011

Tonight we played another game of Medieval Mastery an excellent game where players need to gain territory and compete with other knights to win the crown.

Then we finished off with a game of NightFall which is another in a long line of Deckbuilding games, the differences here are that each player gets 2 unique decks that only they (for the most part) can buy cards from, players can attack each other and players lay cards down form chains of cards around the table (each card dictates what can be played after it). I found this complicated to follow the choices you could make, the only scoring mechanism is who has the fewest wounds with another slightly hard to fathom way of tie breaking. This was not as quick to play as other games of its type and I found it way to complicated and random to build up a decent hand of cards. The scoring mechanism left me confused and so I did not easily fathom a decent way to play. I guess more games of this would make it easier to know what you need to do with your hand to maximise actions and scoring but this is not a game for me. Given a choice I would rather play Ascention or Dominion which are much easier to just pick up and play.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2011, 23:04:24 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

carldjcross
Staff
Unhinged

« Reply #26 on: 10 August 2011, 15:49:14 »

Wednesday 3rd August

I thought the game we were playing last week was called Olympus but a quick look on BGG reveals otherwise.

It was certainly set in mythical Greece and may or may not have included Crete but if definitely put Atlantis in the Med between Europe and Africa. It was also about collecting resources tied to particular territories to buy advances and wonders (it was very Civ like) and it was Andy’s game. I wonder what it was? Anyone know?

Whatever it was called it soon became a two horse race between Paul and Phillip. The game has a neat balancing mechanic in that everyone has the same amount of turns but can choose to spend them in chunks that are small, large or anything inbetween. It also allows canny players to “save” up extra time for a couple of free turns by buying certain advances or being between in combat. Using that tactic just about edged Phillip the win with a 51 to Paul’s 46.

It’s a quick but satisfying Civalike whatever it’s called.

Ekil erif, ekam erif. Erif, erif DiMaggio.
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #27 on: 10 August 2011, 19:07:57 »

The games was called: Olympos

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #28 on: 06 September 2011, 00:50:19 »

20 July 2011
Tonight we broke out my shiny new copy of SmallWorld Underground this is a standalone game with mostly the same mechanics as the original Smallworld. The rulebook highlights the changed rules to make it easier for existing players to pick out the additions/changes. There are new races, new terrains and new special object and places all adding to the rich fun atmosphere of this game.
I Like this better than the original there is enough different here to make the game as enjoyable, if not more so.

We had a 3 player game of this With Sally romping home with a Score of 113,  closely followed by Caz with 110 and as usual for playing my own game I came last with 75.

To finish off the evening we played a couple of rounds of Buckets, a favourite of most of the wed night boardgamers and always a fun closer of the night. Sal and Caz ending up winning the games between them.

Another great evening of gaming with the usual excellent company.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2011, 00:58:01 »

11th Aug 2011

Tonight we had a rare visit from Frog and Carl wanted to have a go with Dungeoneer which he has been itching to play for a while. Each player gets a random character and a hand of 5 cards, on their turn players try to build/explore the dungeon by laying cards down. As you explore you gain Glory and Peril points, one used to pay for useful items for your character the other can be used by other players to do bad things to you on their turn. This is quite a neat mechanic, the cards are of good quality as it the artwork. I enjoyed the game, obviously helped by me winning Smiley, I'd give it another try.

We finished the evening of with a game of Infinite City always a favourite for wed night sessions. A really neat game with minimul rules, and you do what it says on the cards Smiley. Final scores for this was: Neil: 18, Andy: 19 and me: 20. Shocking really but it does happen now and again.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: