Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 13:07:28 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Computer, if you don`t open that exit hatch this moment I shall go straight to your major data banks with a very large axe and give you a reprogramming you`ll never forget,is that clear? - Zaphod Beeblebrox
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monthly Gaming  (Read 2758 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 30 May 2011, 02:08:23 »

I thought I should start documenting some of my gaming outside of the Wednesday night sessions at Spirit Games.

We only had a small band of players this month but this was good, it's always nice to get together with friends and play games from our collections.

This time we played a game one of our group had just purchased, Dominant Species. This is a wonderful looking game with some excellent components and some good artwork. This is a worker placement type game coupled with a kind of area control mechanic thrown in. There is plenty to think about here, the species you control needs to adapt to the environments it is in as well migrating to new areas. From the outset it was clear this was not going to be a short game, not that I'm afraid of long games having played Arkham Horror and Merchant & Marauders but having asked someone who had played before to explain the rules, one player insisted on interupting and adding his own tactics advice. Well he did clarify a couple of rules during the explanation which is fair enough, but I like to work out my own tactics (for better or worse) not be told what they think is best whilst trying to learn how to play the game.

I should have enjoyed this game, it certainly had the potential, but unfortunately due to a lot of Analysis Paralysis from one party in particular this game took over 6 1/2 hours pushing my endurance to the limit.

I started the game well taking an early points lead, nothing to do with any grand plan but some lucky early choices. In the end the others caught up and got well past me on the scoring track, not an excuse but a fact that near the end I was making choices a lot quicker and with less thought to just get to a conclusion. In the end we called the game before the official end as it was getting ridiculously late.

There is a lot to like about this game but I fear that unless played with the kind of people who make quick decisions, this game can drag and to be honest there is not that much you can do whilst you wait as each choice the other players make can change everyone else's status.

I do not think I will be tempted to play this again, though I can see a great game to be had, the chances of a long drawn out saga puts me off in favour of playing more shorter games.

Still you have to try things to see if you would like them or not and this was a thorough test for me.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2011, 02:38:20 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: