Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 16:20:02 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
We going to get lynched aren`t we? - Phouchg
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercept  (Read 4738 times)
slug
Lefthandrule
Unhinged

I will stop gaming when they pry the dice from ...

« on: 29 July 2011, 14:22:00 »

A small select group of adventurers are gathered and pay rapt attention to some members of the border patrol.  A small group of elves are towered over by a female half orc and a human warrior clad head to toe in shiny armor.  There has been trouble brewing in the ruins beyond the border.  More humanoids have been crossing into the settled lands and raiding outlying farms and other soft targets.
The small group have been commissioned by the local lord to investigate this increase in monster activity and see if they can quell some of the incursions.  The local towns have been squabbling and this has resulted in a drop of patrols.
Our ranger finds a fairly well trodden path out of the ruins and we decide to set a watch over this area hidden from view in a bothy.
During the night we catch sight of a group of goblins heading through the gap in the hills.  The paladin states his intention of tackling them, the priest casts a silence spell on him to try and quieten the clanking metal and he runs down the hill to face them. The barbarian follows a lot quicker and the others move in closer or unleash their missile weapons.
The two warriors come under missile fire from the goblins but the heavily armored paladin largely brushes off their ineffective attempts at slowing him down while the barbarian receives several wounds.  We erupt in their midst and immediately take a couple of them down. The human warns the half orc to stay 10’ away from him as his vision in the moonlight is poor and he doesn’t want to incur any friendly fire.
The fight is touch and go.  An orc is noted as their leader and the ranger concentrates his fire on him, it is a little disconcerting to note the orc gulping down a potion and his wounds healing, but through perseverance manages to take him out.
The priest seems intent on supplying suppressing fire and ensure there are no more goblins hiding in the darkness, finally he aims closer to the surrounded combatants and delivers some killing blows.
While barbarian is magnificent in her effort to kill the goblins she takes a ferocious amount of wounds, the priest sends a healing wave of goodness over the combatants and keeps her alive a while longer.  The paladin has steadily been hacking through the horde surrounding him and taken few wounds due to his heavy metal carapace.
We finally get down to the last couple of goblins who are taken prisoner, one manages to escape.
Under questioning there are two tribes working together albeit the smaller group seemed to be lording it over the greater number.
We hands these miscreants over to the border patrol and rest up.
The next day we follow the tracks of the creatures we had fought and sure enough there looks like two groups had come together.  We follow the smaller and allegedly more powerful groups tracks and end up looking at a large ancient fort, accessed through a narrow gate.  We send the horses  back to a pasture and advance on foot.

...my cold dead fingers. Whats that dear, gaming? no no just going to do some shopping, I may be gone a little while.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2011, 21:46:34 »

Over the weekend I will get round to going through my notes and positing  something to supplement the above.

The Lord Taran of Wintergrave hired our hero's as he was concerned that given the bad feeling between the border lords the hiring of large mercenary forces which was traditional to support the border guard militia, could just as easily or more easily indeed, be used to attack your neighbours was a poor course of action so he fell back on the idea of a small group of highly experienced adventures to do the  task of dealing with the increased humanoid raids from the Rubble Border.

Our Gallant Hero's where

The Dwarf Sorcerer;- Oskar "Copper Claw" Mac Oskar
The Elven Ranger;- Spay
The Human Paladin ;- Matus Maclain
The Half Orc Barbarian;- Gloria
The Elven Cleric :-   Orydine Priest of Desne

Edit DeeBee's correction

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 12:33:01 by EvilGinger » Logged

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2011, 16:54:05 »

They travelled form the fortress town of Wintergrave west to the Village of Dogdale the furthest west of the significant settlements of the hold of Wintergrave here they found the place already behaving as if under siege and spoke to the Village elders, including the Wise woman Greta. Travelling  further west but before the reached the line of Militia watch posts the found the proverbially sparsely inhabited land, depopulated and dotted as it became more wild  and hilly with the abandoned Cotts of small farmers many of which showed the signs of having been burnt or otherwise attacked.

The goblins they captured shed some light on the politics of the humanoid tribes and revealed that several tribes where cooperating indeed the party which attempted the ambush consisted of the local Red fang  goblins & the much more northern Blue boar goblins commanded it would seem by an orc from the previously unheard of Snagletooth tribe.

Talking to the Militia when they handed their goblin captives over revealed that very few of the "rangers" who had dwelt in the hills between the border holds & the plains of the Rouble border yet remained but that Snagletooth had been the name of one who was a hero in the previous humanoid incursion over a century before.

Please feel free to add any thing I have missed especially character names where my notes where a bit illegible.

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 30 July 2011, 16:55:42 by EvilGinger » Logged

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Deebee
Lefthandrule
Unhinged

« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 09:02:23 »

My half-orc was Gloria
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: