Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
20 April 2024, 07:10:51 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I`ve gone off the idea of progress. It`s overrated. - Arthur Dent
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dux Britanarim - campaign  (Read 20787 times)
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2012, 20:38:02 »

Useful links for the period

First names a source for Saxon &  Welsh  names which will also do for games of Saga

http://www.regia.me.uk/members/names.htm

& Roman names

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/late-roman

& an over view of the possible chronology of the whole fall of Romano Britain & the rise of Saxon Britain

http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/kingdoms/index.html

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2012, 19:54:28 »

http://www.bigbangburgerbar.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=2962.msg9088#msg9088

I now have all of the men of Laudanum painted up & I am working on doubling the numbers of groups avalible of each type to give the force some room to grow. I have nearly managed this for the men of Laudanum being seriously short only of  Levy I need more Saxons & have started working on the men of the less Romanised kingdom of Elmet to the West. I may even have started on the Men of Lindsey after the week end it rather depends on what Instant Armies have in the Roman line.

I still need to get the blog sorted out but as I have not taken the pictures for it rather feel that it can wait for a bit.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2012, 22:17:31 »

The kingdom of Elmet

This land lies to the west of Lindsey &  has old roots and its king & people see them selves as the inheritors not only of the legacy of Rome but of the tribes of Britons who lived in this land before the Romans came. They are more lightly romanised and most speak the language of the Britons first rather than  Latin as they do in  the eastern & southern kingdoms.

Beyond its borders in those eastern & southern kingdoms, it is seen as a wild land full of a half barbarian people near as bad as the sea wolves of the Saxons themselves yet they are still kin still both Roman & Briton.

The King of this land is old & whilst his people respect him & account him a wise ruler his sons chafe under his rule feeling that there time should have come and his grandsons who have new come to manhood seek glory in other lands as Hero's & even mercenary chiefs.

to be continued...

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 11 May 2012, 22:44:25 by EvilGinger » Logged

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2012, 22:47:28 »

The army of Elmet

This comes in two shapes the large band of Mercenaries who are lead by the kings eldest grandsons & the army of the kingdom itself.

I am going to build the former first & move on to the latter when time & resources allow.

to be continued...

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2012, 12:39:18 »

I now have a nice selection of Roman scenery which needs painting & finishing I had hopped to use it today at Beer & pretzels but I think it needs a bit of love form the paintbrush before I do.

Should have it done for the next shop Demo game though.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2012, 16:49:17 »

I have updated the orders of battle & characters  listed previously

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2012, 17:00:11 »

I am also painting figures for The Men of Elmet & for the Men of South Lindsey & have decided what to do for the two Saxon shore forts either side of the entrance to the wash.  These will now be the Red Dragons Allied to Laudanum & the Blue Dragons a part of South Lindsey.

Initial orders of battle for all of these follow.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2012, 17:06:20 »

The men form the fort - the Red Dragons

The Red Dragons Named for their shield design where originally  based on an Auxiliary infantry unit assigned to the  Saxon shore defensive system since the end of direct Roman rule they have evolved slightly and their descendants have become a inhabitants of a series of villages scattered amongst the coastal marshes & their capital is a larger village centres on the units original fort. They are not numerous and can not support themselves with out the aid of inland settlements specifically in this case Laudanum

Leaders

Tribune Tiberius Maximus though only a child when his father & many men form the garrison marched away in 408 to join Constantine  the emperor in Gaul, he is very much a Roman & his  men are as much as any you can find in these lands in this dark time still soldiers of Rome

Romulus  Tiberius's second second in command

Quintius Abanus an officer of the Red Dragons

Note unlike many leaders Tiberius is a proper Roman & has no need for the barbarian affectation of a champion

Troops

Commanipulares two groups some of the best troops avalible any where to the Britons armed & equipped as well as any late Roman soldiers.

Milites  two groups of infantry less well trained & equipped often having other jobs around the settlements & fort.

Millites Sagittarii one group of a very rare commodity professional archers

Numeri two groups as well trained as the Milites and equipped almost as well but men who have full time jobs around the settlements or are garrisons of the watch towers the Red dragons still maintain

Equites one group of warrior grade light cavalry drawn from those few horsemen who ride courier between the watch posts & patrol the coast.

Rustici two groups of missile troops levied form amongst the marsh men slingers for the greater part

note that whilst the Numeri of the Red dragons are as well equipped and trained as warriors there loss is a sore as that of any levy

The Blue Dragons
Like the Red Dragons these are the descendent of a Saxon shore defence unit but this one was a mixed unit of cavalry & infantry as with the Red Dragons both Stithico & later Constantine III striped this unit down to little mere than a detachment for duties else where on the continent but it has since recovered in numbers if not in quality it maintains a strong cavalry element though they are mostly light & used to run mounted patrols along the vulnerable coast of Lindsey between the watch posts. It is also important to note that the Blue Dragons are part of Lindsey and not a separate kingdomlet as the red dragons are.

Leaders

Troops

The Men of Lindsey

Are divided into five groups the city men from Lindom itself & four rural areas. in each of the cardinal directions, of which I am only going to model the men of the south as they are directly across the wash from Laudanum.

Leaders

Troops

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 27 May 2012, 14:49:49 by EvilGinger » Logged

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2012, 14:48:33 »

The Men of Elmet

Leaders

Troops

I have figures for some of these but I am still working out what else I am going to put in them & I am saving up for a Welsh Saga Starter force as I want this force to look rather closer to the Welsh than to the Roman

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 19 June 2012, 16:52:42 by EvilGinger » Logged

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #24 on: 19 June 2012, 16:50:12 »

I am approaching the finish line when it comes to my men of Laudanum & need very few figures to round them off the final force totals will be

Cavalry
2 groups of six figures shock, 1 group of four figures light I need four light & four shock cavalry

Infantry
2 groups of eight  figures Companions, 4 groups of eight figures Warriors, 6 groups of eight figures levy & I am short only eight levy & a couple of figures for the companions.

Harassing 
2 groups of four figures missile & one of four figures Javelins

Leaders
I have three big men painted up on foot but I need a couple more & mounted versions for at least three of them.

I hope to get pictures of them done in the shop over the next week & you can look at them on Saturday as I hope to run a demo at raiders.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #25 on: 19 June 2012, 16:58:41 »

I have noticed a distinct lack weakness in the Saxon side of the the forces & feel that I should direct my efforts that way for a bit. My only problem is that much as I like Gripping beast's early Saxons I have at least three of each in the Saxon forces I have so far & this looks a bit samey. So I  really need to look for & trencher get some of the suitable figures I have tracked down I want to have a look as Musketeer Miniatures, & more of Westwinds Saxons

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2012, 20:24:59 »

With the Publication date now known I look forward to being able to start the campaign off, I will make sure that Phil has enough copies to go round.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #27 on: 07 July 2012, 21:48:13 »

Who would be interested in joining in the Campaign I will provide all the necessary stuff all you have to do is turn up & play

who is in?

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #28 on: 29 July 2012, 18:03:03 »

Just to remind every one that DUX BRITTANARIVM is released tomorrow so the campaign will start very soon indeed. Phil will also have a good supply of the rules & the game cards as well & I will be sorting out lists of suitable figures & manufactures in 25-28mm & 15mm on the Shield walls clash Blog.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #29 on: 31 July 2012, 06:10:58 »

A further update the Author will be personally delivering the new rules to Spirit Games Some time on wednesday get them whilst they are hot.....

EvilGinger

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: