Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 21:59:18 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
We don`t stand a Whelk`s chance in a Supernova. - Ford Prefect
Linked Events
  • Dux Britanarium PLaytest: 14 April 2012
  • Signed up (1/50):
    # Name
    1.EvilGinger

Please login or register to sign up for this event.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dux Britannarium Playtesting  (Read 10003 times)
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« on: 31 March 2012, 22:39:49 »

Where
Spirit Games
114-115 Station Street
Burton On Trent
DE14 2QQ

When 12 noon to 5pm

I will be running one or more play test games of the as yet unpublished rules by the Toofat lardies DUX BRITTANNARUM using the campaign starter armies for the Romano British & Saxons

Come along if you want to have a go at these & to have an influence on the final product which is due out later this year.

for more on this take a look at

http://www.bigbangburgerbar.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=1833.15

http://www.bigbangburgerbar.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=1744.30

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2012, 01:01:37 »

Whilst I am not going to have both forces painted in time I have to report that the Romano British are painted short of a little finishing work & the cards are all made for bot forces & whilst I wont have them painted the Saxons are based & ready to go otherwise.

If my camera where working I would post pictures here.

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 07 April 2012, 01:03:13 by EvilGinger » Logged

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2012, 06:54:19 »

Now posted on Face book & I loath the new events tool its even more pain than the old one & on the Spirit Games event section subject to moderation & Derby wargames society Forum.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2012, 11:26:11 »

Just discovered that the latest version of the rules is v2.53 so I have asked the nice Mr Clarke for a copy & I am awaiting that plopping into my e-mail in box. Exciting stuff this.

I have also ordered some Hovels live stock from Spirit Games

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 11:36:08 by EvilGinger » Logged

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2012, 18:32:57 »

Rules fully up to date & in a folder & cards done for both the game deck & the fate deck.  Romano British fully painted even if the bases still need finishing. The Saxons are unfortunately still in their undercoat as if I had done more with them they would not have been playable with as half painted figures are a bit too sensitive to handling.

see you on Saturday

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2012, 05:53:37 »

dont forget Game on today!!!

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2012, 12:01:24 »

All Packed & ready to go will be there sharp at 12PM

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2012, 21:23:38 »

The first play test is done dusted & finished & I will be posting some of my thoughts about this when I have caught up with my sleep but my first impression of the game after a first run through with figures & a game was positive it needs polishing & clarifying but it works and would work quite fast if we had not been trying to stress the system and look a lot of stuff up.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2012, 18:10:09 »

I did two play test exercises with figures one solo & one with Steve the Spirit Games Mail order troll neither played to a conclusion as a game but I got a feel for the way the game ran & realized that I had less experience than I thought running close combat Lardie style & this proved critical as in the period the winner & loser is largely determined face to face shields locked at the point of a spear

The Scenario was the same in each case a clash between two starter sized armies.

The first run through
The first run through went  through the pre battle and for the first round of the main battle which being fought on a rather small table bought both forces into contact with little manoeuvring  or chance for missile fire. I however rather get ahead of myself.

Pre Battle
I decided that the single combat step was not really solo able  I decided not to try it here and given the British had won the upper hand they started with consulting the oracles which went horribly wrong & then the Saxons gave his men a stiffening drink got his men drunk when they over did it & both where now down to four cards in the hand of fate & had gained no great advantage. The British king made a rather so so speech and the Saxon one decided to just get on with it.

Battle
Saxons got to act first with all their cards coming up before the British ones despite shuffling though given the size of the deck over shuffling might have been the problem starting with the missiles who loosed a rather ineffective volley as the rest of the Saxon army  ran forward  across the front champion to the fore shouting abuse at the Britons

The British left composed of their best troops a shield wall of companions and warriors surged forward hoping to catch the Saxon champion before his slower fellows caught up with him but they failed to do so as they made contact too close to the following Saxon Hearth Guard who quickly closed the short space still between them a general mellee ensued which the Britons numbers narrowly beat the Saxon quality but though the lines swayed and the Saxons where forced back the fight was not conclusive and could well have continued for a couple more rounds especially if the Saxon warriors & the British levy had got involved or clashed in the centre

however at this point Steve arrived & I reset the game  

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 19 April 2012, 20:43:11 by EvilGinger » Logged

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2012, 20:42:41 »

The Second run through

Pre Battle

After talking Steve through the rules & explaining them where needed we started with the pre battle phase rolling for initial cohesion which was appalling for both sides before Steve's Saxons got the upper hand and he decided to do something about his forces cohesion pool first he consulted the Omens which foretold a bad end for has men & his fate hand shrunk by one The British seer prophesied an easy victory and increased their cohesion there by then Steve handed out the ale leaving his men fighting drunk & well up for it something which subsequently gave them quite an edge The British king made a quite good speech but the Saxon a real lemon which had is men laughing at him and not the enemy & very diffidently not taking him seriously all battle   so he decided to accept the British challenge of the Champions which left his champion sore wounded and the British one hardly hurt & the British much heartened.

Battle
I had left the British deployed as they had been in the first game with the warriors and the companions to the left & deployed forward with a commander & British king close by with the levy in the centre with the second commander and the champion the British missile where behind them ready to rush in front to skirmish and them fall back behind when threatened. Steve however altered the Saxon deployment so that he had his hearth guard & one group of warriors on the side facing the British companions & warriors & two in the centre opposite the British levy with the Saxon missile on the far left of the line. He had a commander with each of the two formations of troops & his king positioned between them so that he could command both his badly wounded Champion lay on a brier behind the lines & took no part in the battle.

Turn one
The battle started with the British left advancing to put a block of the best British troops in front best Saxon ones The Saxons then got a run of all there cards more or less one after the other starting with the Saxon king. The Saxon King ordered  all his men forward & they came forward in a rush screaming & shouting abuse however the warriors in the centre failed to reach more than half way to the British over all though they ended up closer to the advanced British flank.

The subsequent Saxon commanders where used to refill Steve’s hand of fate cards & and to rally off the tiny amount of shock caused by the British missile to the Saxon warrior formation. The other British commanders where used to clear the rubbish out of the British fate hand & set it up to pull a hopefully rather nasty stunt latter.

Turn two
This started with an advance by the British left, however constrained by the need to maintain a shield wall they failed to reach more than half way to the Saxons companions & the British commander had his men lock shields in anticipation of the counter charge.

The Saxon King again ordering all his men forward again needing & having the right fate card & they came forward in a rush screaming & shouting abuse however the warriors in the centre failed to reach more than half way to the British levy but the Saxon Hearth guard backed by a hail of javelins axes and rocks they threw as the came forward with the taunts & goading of the Saxon warriors holding the British Warriors in place & unable to intervene. Outnumbered & shocked by the hail of missiles the British companions where hurled back from the end of the Shield wall with minimal damage by on the Saxon companions.

The British champion then rushed forward form behind the levy shield wall to assist but failed to reach the still intact British warriors shield wall & the British king moved forwards to rally the shaken companions & the turn ended with the Saxon missile coming forward to shoot at the British Levy shield wall which they did rather ineffectually.

Turn Three
I don’t think that we finished this turn to be honest but a lot happened & I began to lose track & Steve had to go off to give his sword class & was agitating to get on with stuff so he would not be late so it got a bit rushed & my notes got rather poor.

The Saxon right wing commander came up first and continued the fight on his right flank with the two groups of Saxon companions rounding on the two groups of Warriors the right most group of Saxon companions got very badly handled by the British warriors they where facing & recoiled from shock with the British warriors following up breaking the shield wall which in the end was less than wise. The other similar fight was more of a draw with the British Warriors being pushed back slightly & the Saxons following up. The Saxon king came up next & used his one command initiative to have the group of Saxon warriors who where hanging back on the right after previously taunting to with a Carpe Diem to go round behind the left most group of British warriors & attack them in the flank & rear. the Saxon flank attack was a dismal failure & only caused a few shock on the British warriors who held.

The British king came up next & he rallied his companions as he was in command range off them & continued the fight between the badly mauled Saxon companions & the British warriors facing them which the Saxons lost but not by enough and as they had been taking kills not shock they still did not have excess shock (2 figures 1 shock if I remember it right) and he unleashed the British levy. Using Carpe Diem to pull a hopefully winning run of cards the right wing British commander was called forth & the Levy charged as well as a Levy shield wall can ploughing into the back of the flanking Saxon warriors & mauling them horribly though not quite enough the break them, but wounding the Saxon commander opposite them who had charged with them in the hope of finishing off the flanked British when he got the chance.

At which point my memory & my notes fail

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2012, 19:39:15 »

I now have the Version 2.55 rules as I mentioned else where & I am expecting the campaign rules next week so its all go & I am planing an another play test run after Beer & Pretzels but have not sorted out dates etc.

I will keep you posted

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2012, 15:43:13 »

I am now aware that all my "new" Roman Scenery which I had wanted to speed paint for Beer & pretzels missed me on the delivery this morning & will have to be collected tomorrow. Just the fun on needs & I hope it being actually second hand that its had a lick of paint & being resin got thorough the postal service intact.....

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2012, 16:42:30 »

The Roman scenery was not painted & some of it was damaged by its postal experience non the less is is very repairable & lovely stuff & I will be posting pictures of it when I have it fully repaired & painted.

On the play test front I am still trying to organise another play test game in the shop & I managed to get a play test game at Triples in Sheffield with the author & pick up some insights into how the rules work from the master. I would like to thank Steve for being my driver getting a day out has proved to be inspiring.

The rules are due some time late summer early autumn & will I am sure be on prominent display at Beer and lard this year.

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 27 May 2012, 14:27:53 by EvilGinger » Logged

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2012, 14:32:03 »

I will talk to Phil about organising a play test in the shop now that Expo is over as he had more than enough to do before Expo. I will post it as an event when I have a date.

The good thing about the mad run up to Beer & pretzels was that I managed to get a starter force for each side painted & some what more for the British.

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2012, 17:39:19 »

Managed a play test  game  at the shop & took photo's as it progressed sadly only with my phones camera & the AAR will be linked to below when I have got my new dark ages blog set up

EvilGinger

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: