Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
17 April 2024, 01:24:06 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Just keep cool. - Zaphod
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome Gendrill  (Read 7541 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 25 July 2012, 13:22:36 »

Welcome Gendrill to the Big Bang Burger Bar.

I hope you will find us all friendly and welcoming.
Feel free to join in conversations and please do reply telling us a little about yourself.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Gendrill
Slight Inkling

« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2012, 14:33:01 »

Sent to this forum from a very nice man at Spirit Games, sorry but I forgot your name again  Embarrassed after a visit with my son to the shop last week, we, like you all no doubt, had the experience of a lot of Oooohhs & Aaaahhhs, combined with a heavy depletion in the bank balance, and the knowledge you will have no choice but to return on every occasion in the future now you have had your sole trapped their by the simple process of crossing over the threshold of the shop into what is every little boys dream come true, especially those that never grew up Grin

So on with the intro...

The name is Doug and I am close enough to 50 to be counting in months now not years!  Wink I currently live in South Wales but have recently found a new partner who is a Burton lass born and bred and so now find myself spending a lot of time in Burton with her, plans are for me to move up here with her sometime next year, although that is still some time off yet, being a gamer I have to make sure plans for future gaming are set up as well of course Wink

So with that in mind I have decided to join your forum to get to know some of you better over the coming months and offer my services as both a player of Board Games and RPG’s and also GM RPG’s as well, YES! I hope to hear a few of you cry at that seeing a couple of posts already where you are trying to get games going and require numbers and the couple of GM’s are desperate for a break and a chance to sit back and actually PLAY! The drawback for now of course is that my travelling back and forward means that I will not be able to attend any events very often for a while, but another helping hand is on it’s way if you will have me that is?

So what are my interests you are no doubt asking? On the Board Game front I am open to at least try most of them, although I have a preference for co-op style games like Pandemic or Arkham, I do also enjoy the more family friendly Games like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne, not so much a fan of the card style games though where there is a deck of cards like a CCG rather than a board with pieces to move about, but willing to try still none the less. On the RPG front, like the Board games, open to most of them really but D&D, Pathfinder, WoD, CoC, Shadowrun & Star Wars are always welcome, rusty on some of the rules on some of them but know enough to play, have and will GM D&D, Pathfinder and CoC if that will help in the future as well Wink

So there you have it for now, a long winded intro, I do tend to waffle on when left to it, but hope to meet some of you in the near future and hopefully find some new friends to continue my Gaming hobby when I move to Burton permanently some time next year  Smiley

PS. Love Dragons and the colour Purple Wink
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2012, 18:27:17 »

What are your thoughts on Purple Dragons specifically, I wonder?
(Hello.)
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2012, 18:59:15 »

Purple Dragons interesting concept though I have issues with purple print on occasion

I also own to being that man but the word nice is seldom applied to me hence the nom de forum, any way welcome on board & I hope to see you around more.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Gendrill
Slight Inkling

« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2012, 14:28:31 »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Purple Dragons? Taken for granted as a must of course  Shocked

Note taken on the purple text, so will limit its use but I expect as its me it will slip in on occasions, sorry for those that have trouble with it.

Good luck with your meet up tomorrow (Saturday), hope you get enough to make it a good day, will try and get along to a few meets as I can in the future, restrictions mentioned in my original post permitting, but from what I have seen at the shop and read on this forum, I will be spending a lot of time and have a lot of fun with you all in the future  Smiley

Forgot to mention in my OP that I also enjoy figure games like Hordes, Flames of War, Warhammer 40k etc. and Computer games like WoW, Skyrim, SW:TOR, LotRO, Diablo etc. Not sure if that will make you groan or grin, but thought I should add it  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 27 July 2012, 14:30:24 by Gendrill » Logged
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2012, 14:45:54 »

Glad to have you aboard and always nice to find a fellow gamer.

As well as the weekly games in the Shop on Wed Nights, there is the monthly Saturday (which you have already seen) and of course there are the two local conventions:

Beer & Pretzels (Run by Spirit Games) [Twice a Year Now!]
Raiders of the Game Cupboard (Run by several members here, me being one) [Quarterly]

There are also message boards on here for both events where more details of events can be found as well.

We have regular RPG Sessions going on around the area as well, there Wed night at Spirit has both Boardgames and Roleplaying, we run a bi-weekly Thursday Night slot at one of the local Pubs and there are various other sessions around the place.

There is always room for another GM as, in common with all such groups, things fluctuate so more people willing to step in and run games is always good.

Next time you are up we can always arrange to meet at the Shop (yeah I know temptation will be hard on us all!!) one evenning or there are plenty of pubs along that road that serve a more than decent pint  Beer

Glad to have you aboard and I look forward to getting a game with you in the near future.

p.s the Missus likes Purple as well so I expect some fun at the table when their are purple peices available  Grin help

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2012, 00:11:39 »

The amusing thing about Purple text is that there are two appearences for the forums, and one of them uses a Dark Blue background.
Not that it matters, as I tend to compulsively highlight text to keep my place anyway.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2012, 05:53:17 »

Purple is very Very cool its just invisible with the settings I have to use on the forum & on the monitor in order to avoid triggering screaming migraines & allow me to do some work shockingly!!!

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2012, 19:09:31 »

Having been chided by Zarni no less for obsessing about the purple prose I will get back on topic. There is a lot going on in Burton on the gaming scene & whilst I appreciate the travailing will cause problems I would like to draw your attention to.

Autumn Beer & pretzels now being held on the Saturday & Sunday 3 & 4th of November & Beer & Lard II on Saturday 13th of October & our quataly games festival Raiders of the lost Games cupboard on the 29th of September.

However you would be more than welcome to coma along to any thing we do. 

EvilGinger

Pug118
Slight Inkling

« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2012, 22:40:20 »

Hi Gendrill,

I just thought I'd add my welcome to the others.  
I moved to Burton about two years ago and found spirit and all the guys there to be very welcoming and friendly to an old, out of practise, gamer.
(Ironically I've since moved to South Wales.)

The Wednesday night game at spirit was always fun and Ginge runs some great games in the local hostelries.

I hope you find it as much fun as I did.

Oh, and have a pint of Bridge for me.  Beer

Gendrill
Slight Inkling

« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2012, 16:27:19 »

Thanks for the heads up on coming events, a bit early to be able to confirm my location, and so my chance of attendance, for any of them yet but will certainly be interested if I am in Burton for any of them.  Smiley

I expect to be back your end again around mid August for a couple of weeks so will definitely make an effort to try and call in for one of the Wednesday sessions even if just to say hi and put faces and real names to forum names.  Cool

What part of South Wales Pug? I am about 15 miles north of Swansea myself, is that anywhere near you? I am in a gaming group here that you may be interested in if it is, check out my website for more info. It is a little basic but will give you a rough idea, most of the club stuff is discussed on our forum, linked from the website, like you guys do I would imagine.

Talking of the website, as it is mine that I run for the club this end, Welsh Weyr Gaming Club, I can’t see anyone complaining if I add a banner on it to link to Spirit Games if you have one that you care to email me, a bit of free advertising has to be a good thing for all I would think  Wink
« Last Edit: 30 July 2012, 16:29:04 by Gendrill » Logged
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2012, 17:02:15 »

Phil would be highly delighted if you did in fact just drop him an e-mail at salnphil@spiritgames.co.uk & he will more than likely set up a cross link for you, or get his IT department to do it for him Wink

EvilGinger

Pug118
Slight Inkling

« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2012, 22:56:06 »

Sorry or the delayed response Gendrill.  (And the consequent thredmancy.)

I'm in Cardiff these days but am quite regularly in Skewen (Neath) at the weekends visiting with the outlaws.  Grin
Gendrill
Slight Inkling

« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2012, 19:55:52 »

Yeah Skewen is close, so if you find yourself free one Sunday afternoon or evening feel free to pop along to our gaming club, as mentioned, details on our web site at http://welshweyr.co.uk/ including a map to help locate it  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: