Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 April 2024, 11:34:16 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Hey listen, I think we`ve got enough problems of our own with you shooting at us, so if you could avoid laying your problems on us as well I think we`d probably find it easier to cope! - Ford Prefect
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boardgame Expansion Rules  (Read 2697 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 19 November 2012, 10:43:17 »

A lot of boardgames are given expansions to increase the options and indeed provide more longevity to the gameplay.

All this is fine and I embrace the chance to relive old favourites in new ways.

My curiosity though is when these expansions are being designed why do we only get a rulebook of the differences? What is stopping the publisher providing a revised ruleset with the base game + the expansion + any FAQ/Errata into one consolidated ruleset.

This, especially for more complicated games, would enhance the ability to pick up the nuances of the new rules and allow easy reference without having to continually juggle between two or more rulebooks.

If this is purely down to cost, which in the current climate is understandable, why not produce it as a PDF that could be made available from their website or indeed here on the BGG. Given owners the chance to print a revised rulebook themselves.

Just some random thoughts I've had and I am interested in other peoples opinions on these.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2012, 12:59:11 »

I would be inclined to agree with Zarni especially given that the rules sets for most games are quite slim volumes & so really can't cost that much so would not appreciably increase the price of the expansion &  an expansion is by its nature useless without the base game.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: