Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
27 April 2024, 03:58:34 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Listen, you footwarriors, can you hold hard a bit with the firing? I`ve just got three impromptu weddings breaking out behind me. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DnD 4th] Homebrew - Pacts and Patrons  (Read 12574 times)
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« on: 07 March 2009, 23:57:34 »

This thread is about 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragon's Warlock Class. Or rather, it's about the different Pacts that a Warlock can choose as the origin of their powers.

A Warlock is granted power by entering into a bargain of some kind, (usually via dread rituals and forgotten lore) with a powerful entity. For the purpose of the thread, I'll call this entity the Warlock's 'Patron'.

The Patron, it is safe to assume, is not just giving out arcane might like candy on halloween. The Patron is getting something in return. It's possible that a one-off sacrifice, gift or service is enough, as once a Warlock has his power, it really is his power. Just as possibly, the Warlock could have an on-going relationship with his Patron, either performing occaisional services, devoting himself entirely to the goals of his patron, or what have you.

I shall be using the thread to write up possible Patrons (Like the Archfey in the Manual of the Planes, for example), as well as possible exchanges, services and so on that the patron may require of his Warlock.

If you have ideas of your own or so on, feel free to add them to the thread for our mutual amusements and/or people to borrow, whether serious or jokey.

Table of Contents;
Parton/s - Suggested pact boon

1) Asmodeus - Infernal
2) The Lovecraft Mythos - Star
3) The Flower King - Fey
4) Lolth - Dark
5) Ogg'Ullothon - Star
6) Corrigan the Briar Witch - Fey
7) The Bloodthorn - Fey
8) Nip - Fey or Infernal
« Last Edit: 03 November 2009, 06:56:27 by Snakes in the Tiki Lounge » Logged
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2009, 00:33:21 »

[Patron]

Asmodeus!
The infernal pact assumes and implies that you are, in fact, making a bargain with devils, if not merely following nebulous and indefinate 'proceedures' that a group of rogue devils taught the nobles of Bael Turath in ancient times.

Now, if you've got the guts for it, why not go straight to the top? If you can even begin to offer the Devil Asmodeus, (King of Hell and now a God in his own right) something that he actually wants, or could use, then surely your power would be unrivalled?

[The Deal]

Asmodeus is the most cunning and duplicitous of all devils. His mind is so dangerous a weapon that he has the entirety of Hell itself dancing to his own tune and even his most elaborately sneaky of 'rivals' cannot hope to begin to understand the scope of Asmodeus's plans and schemes. When making a deal with Asmodeus, you can try to be careful, but chances are, you are not going to get the best of it.

Here are some general things to remember when designing a deal with Asmodeus - He is true to his word. Entirely, and without fail. Asmodeus will not break the deal, or lie directly about the nature of it. He will not go behind your back and work to undermine the agreement. Likewise, he will hold you to the exact letter of your word.
This is not to say that such deals are safe. The above is exactly the source of the danger. Perhaps more than any other patron, one such as Asmodeus will not give power loosely, he will benefit immensely from any such bargain. Dangerous quests, priceless artifacts and the kind of secrets that topple empires are not above the level of one-off offerings that Asmodeus might demand.

More likely, however, Asmodeus would value continuing service over a one-time exchange. You might find yourself agreeing to;

1) Turn your body over to asmodeus for a year and a day, once every decade of your life. For a year and a Day, your flesh would provide a powerful devil practically unlimited access to the prime matirial plane. If you are lucky and have bargained well, you may have knowledge of the time when your service begins each decade, but likely it will be left to Asmodeu's whim.

2) Provide regular sacrifices of gold and powerful artifacts to hidden cults of Asmodeus (Or, depending on the setting, the appropriate Churches of Asmodeus). Perhaps the quantity and regularity are left up to yourself, but more likely a certain pre-agreed quantity or worth would be set. Perhaps the items you are to sacrifice would not even be of your choosing, with compulsions sent to you whenever you came into possession of suitably 'useful' artifacts. Perhaps, you would be compelled or commanded to provide items you do not already even possess, forcing you to obtain them at any cost or face the (Quite probably pre-agreed) sanctions.

3) Serve Asmodeus directly. Periodically, you are sent commands, requests, suggestions upon which it is...probably best that you act promptly and decisively. Often, these commands would make very little sense to you, or seem trivial things. Other times, you may be called upon to tackle near-impossible tasks. Whichever type, failure will carry a heavy price. Again, the exact nature of the service could vary immensely and will almost certainly play to the characters strengths, but it is best to assume that if a high chance of failure exists, then it could well be the outcome most beneficial to Asmodeus, who will insure in such things that he benefits whatever the outcome. Not that it will make the punishment for failure any more lenient, even if he was counting on it!

Played best, even the form your punishments take should benefit Asmodeus in some way, even, (or especially) If it does not seem to. 

[Good or Evil acts?]

It is worth noting that the Devil Asmodeus is far too cunning to rule out tasks or ploys of any nature, should they benefit him. If a character is interested in playing a Good Aligned Warlock with an Infernal Pact, it is worth remembering that Asmodeus is quite capable of getting vast benefits from using such a tool, even if he restricts his requested sacrifices and tasks to exclusively 'Positive' deeds. It is not important for the character to understand how Asmodeus could possibly benefit from such tasks. It isn't even entirely necessary for the DM to understand how, just so long as he is aware that somehow, in some way, Asmodeus will benefit from the task.

The Devil always wins.
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2009, 19:37:55 »

A few Q&A:

• How do you know about the Warlock class? If you're an 'Insider' i demand copies of character builders etc.!
  • For some reason, your post sounds like a sales pitch (!). I can imagine this leaflet dropping through my letterbox next to a 2 for 1 on pizzas. Can you design this whim into a reality?
  • Religious patrons....unique powers...are a Warlocks abilities more awesome than a Clerics?
  • Which Deity would i be most interested in?  - Ooh ooh, do him/her/it next!

Thus ends my thoughts for today. Sleepy3

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2009, 23:24:44 »

I know about the warlock class on account of it being in the same players handbook that I have been using for the last calender year.
Not what I'd call insider information, really, cheif.

As far as sales pitches, have you considered accepting our Lord Asmodeus into your life?

Seriously though, Asmodeus is generally the only God who's likely to ever give out 'Warlock' stuff, on account of his special status as both God and Devil. Considering the origin of Warlocks and Warlock pacts come from a group of Devils who were not loyal to Asmodeus giving the nobles of Bael Turath essentially 'Free Ultimate Powerz!' (and creating Teiflings in the process), Asmodeus is likely to be a very rare patron.

The specifics of any pact that is to be with Asmodeus himself is entirely up to any DM allowing/using any of this stuff working it out with the player in question. It certainly should not result in any specific extra benefits for the player, except in the way of Roleplaying stuff to get their teeth into. Further, I'd say that given that it's with such a collossally important entity, any pact with Asmodeus should be particularly demanding and epic in nature, where-as it's quite fair for other, less 'major' patrons to have a much wider range of possible 'deals'.

Basically, if you want the bragging rights of getting your power Direct from a Greater Deity, you're really going to have to earn them!
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2009, 01:16:32 »

Just a quick one today;

The Lovecraft Mythos

The Great Old Ones and Outer Gods of the Lovecraft/Cthulhu Mythos are perfect inspiration for Star-Pact patrons. I'm not going to go through any in particular and list interpretations etc, though. Suffice it to say, that one of the most important parts in designing an arrangement with one of the lovecraftian entities is that Evil is not a description that really fits.

One of the central themes of the lovecraft mythos is the complete and utter unimportance of humanity. In that context, human constructs such as 'Good' and 'Evil' are even more meaningless than usual. The best way to portray or conceive of most of them is essentially Ammoral.

The Great Old ones, if the DM is willing to incorporate them in any significant way, would make great Patrons. In the Mythos, the Great Old Ones (Including Cthulhu himself) are generally 'Dead but Dreaming' and generally entombed/imprisoned and so on throughout the world and space in general. They may eventually require mortal assistance when the stars align, to kick-start their return, and are often associated with 'Cults' in the original pieces.
This would give plenty to build on, if the DM is interested. However, like many of the other entities of the Mythos, it is quite simple to merely treat them as being 'of the Far Realm' and impossibly distant, instead. This means that they can be indirectly incorporated, allowing an interested player to have some kind of Pact with one of the Horrors, without the DM necessarily having to re-write his setting into a Lovecraftian mein.

One-off sacrifices for mind-destroying power and eternal servitude are quite appropriate for many of the Entities, and I reccommend skimming through either Wikipedia or any more cthulhian Wiki's out there.

It is worth noting, however, that in contrast to, say, Asmodeus, most of the Lovecraftian Entities are vast, distant and uncaring in comparison. They are quite likely to be much less 'hands on' and controlling, because as they are Impossible Alien Horrors from (or who exist entirely) Outside the known and knowable Cosmology/Universe, they often have much less at stake.

Wherever possible, link them to DnD's abberations and the Far Realm. Mad Cults hidden at the fringes of society, or unspeakable empires of the Underdark are all perfect strongholds. Lets Face it, the Illithids certainly could do with some Gods of their own, so to speak, right?
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2009, 03:37:51 »

very interesting I always saw Warlocks as making pacts with either second line powers (rebel devils) or those like the Chthloid ones Tiki mentioned which are too alien to have or be interested in conventional clerical  organizations, or working clandestinely (the Primordials). My one other candidate for a pact type would be elemental where the Warlock gained their power through a pact or pacts with the denizens of elemental chaos though this might be a build which will appear in arcane power as it seems such an obvious gap. Multiple pacts also seems a possibility with the Warlock gaining power from whoever they can scrounge it off of through one off agreements perhaps thereby gaining a range of powers from across the current pact types.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2009, 19:11:39 »

Sounds interesting. Why dedicate yourself to the one deity when you can be sycophantic towards many of them and gain a diversity of powers? Reminds me of a certain game where doing a favour for one of the 15 gods got you a nice reward in return. Shame this sort of stuff hasn't happened in any campaigns yet really.  Undecided

Mortal! You could have just stopped by to see Me. Would have saved you some lettuce, you know. I believe I'm displeased.
This is when I should smite you. Give you a serious smiting. Completely smitten. When I tell you to do something, I generally mean it. I suppose there's something I can have you do while you're here, though. A little errand. And a lot of fun...
« Last Edit: 10 March 2009, 19:13:28 by Dat » Logged

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2009, 21:47:49 »

Dat FYI I believe that Wednesday Vince is the only one with a subscription to D&D insider at the moment though if you suddenly wanted a painted army Evil Wink then I could afford to subscribe myself . Indeed if I could get you addicted to wargaming then well.....

EvilGinger 

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2009, 22:31:51 »

Sounds interesting. Why dedicate yourself to the one deity when you can be sycophantic towards many of them and gain a diversity of powers? Reminds me of a certain game where doing a favour for one of the 15 gods got you a nice reward in return. Shame this sort of stuff hasn't happened in any campaigns yet really.  Undecided

Mortal! You could have just stopped by to see Me. Would have saved you some lettuce, you know. I believe I'm displeased.
This is when I should smite you. Give you a serious smiting. Completely smitten. When I tell you to do something, I generally mean it. I suppose there's something I can have you do while you're here, though. A little errand. And a lot of fun...

The Devil will not, I repeat, Will NOT give you Real Ultimate Power(tm) in exchange for a head of cabbage and a bit of old yarn. Just so you know. Smiley
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2009, 00:30:55 »

A Link; 'Feylocks; Who is giving them power?

The Flower King

Beautiful and Terrible, a being of Ammoral Benevolance and a quicksilver temperment. The Flower King is an Archfey of either Eldarin or more likely Elven origin, the issue is somewhat clouded by time. He stands outside of the major Factions (Such as the Summer, Green and Winter Fey) but who never-the-less holds great individual power and is respected by many of the prime movers and shakers in the Court of Stars.

As the fey would put it, he is very much 'Seelie'. That is, he is essentially benevolent towards mortal-kind and can be trusted to honor his word with them, provided he is given his due respect. In comparison to many of the Archfey of the Court of Stars, he is both pragmatic and pro-active outside of his own Demesne and the spheres of Fey Politics. When powerful beings intrude upon the Feywild (Such as intruding Demons or Devils, or the Orcus's foul undead) in any numbers, He is amongst the first to raise his blade and make war.

A master of powerful Magics and an ellusive and relentless warrior, The Flower King can raise a powerful force when spurred to such action, despite lacking particularly close allies in the Court of Stars. Many Eldarin and not some fey Elves dedicate themselves to the Archfey. He is seen to symbolise the 'element of goodness' and all that is colorful & joyful as well as all that grows and expands. His followers espouse the importance of Love and Forgiveness in general life. When the Flower King's ire is raised, however, it is as terrible as the storm, both as sudden and as destructive.

[The Deal]
In his normally effervescent mood, the Flower King is a whimsical and generous creature. It is easy to underestimate his intelligence and his resolve. He is one of the most genuinely Benevolent of the Archfey, and is quite willing to enter into such pacts with mortals in exchange for either goods or services. Expensive 'Sacrifices' are unlikely to tempt him, but he may well require that a petitioner prove their worth (and their generally decent nature) by performing some kind of fanciful task or dangerous quests. Romantics and Idealists are likely to find the price they pay for power to be much less significant than more morally ambiguous types or those with particularly grim personalities.

Ongoing 'services' and possible exchanges could include some of the following;

1) Dedicating themselves entirely to the Flower King, the Warlock uses their gift to secure the few 'points of light' in the dark world of the mortal-plane in his name. Ridding great forests of the unnatural forces that taint them, destroying the undead and banishing powerful fiends become the life-long quest of the Warlock. It is expected that such a character take measures not to cut themselves off too fully from normal life however, for the Flower King espouses the importance of simple pleasures and quiet contemplation.

2) Rallying friends and neighbors, the Character clears out a Zombie Haunted graveyard, Spider infested Wood, or similar source of ongoing danger and peril for the people of his region. If he survives, then in exchange for his valour, the Flower King rewards him the powers of the Warlock.

3) In addition to his arcane might, the Warlock receives a magic bag of seeds. In exchange for the gift of power, the Warlock must plant the seeds on his travels, whenever possible. The seeds are entirely mundane, though the flowering plants that spring forth in the months following usually prove both spectacularly beautiful and suprisingly hardy. The bag, when emptied, is left outside at night under a full moon. Observed or Otherwise, the bag will be full anew in the morning.

[Evil and Unaligned Warlocks?]

Whereas Good Warlocks should in most cases find a good fit with The Flower King, (Though the more puritan and judgemental one is, the less likely they are to find favour), Evil and Unaligned Warlocks aren't such a neat fit. Evil thoughts and Evil Deads committed prior to seaking the pact will likely mean that a Warlock must undergo many arduous trials, both obvious or otherwise, in an attempt to attone and prove they have changed. Evil deads after the Pact has been sealed will not lead to the removal of the characters powers, but will likely lead to the Flower King moving agents of his will against the character.
'Betraying' the Flower King in such a way is likely to end messily for the Evil Character in question, though if the player wishes, the DM should make the possibility of Redemption available.  (Likewise backing out of their part of the pact should, perhaps, have similar consequences. Even the most Benevolent of Fey would likely react badly to being short-changed or taken for granted!)

Unaligned Characters will likewise have to tread carefully. 'Law' means little to such Archfey, and the specifics of their moral codes are often unfathomable, but outright acts of Evil should be avoided. Morally Grey areas are less likely to instigate a Hunt, (such as petty theft, lying, torturing your enemies), but if a significant pattern of 'Gritty' 'Grim' behaviour develops, it's quite possible that the Warlock will 'Fall out of Favour' to some degree, though possibly not to the point of outright hostility.

Whatever the general nature of the character, it is important to note that like much of the Court of Stars, the Flower King values good manners in general, and respect in particular. Being rude or offensive to a 'kindly old crone' would not, in and of itself, likely cause any reprocussions (Other than the anger of the old lady herself!) but if the Old Crone is a fey Creature or Witch of the Flower Kings Court, the character could well find himself subjected to an inconvenient (Or perhaps potentially deadly) curse.

[A Note on Undead, and Generally Sinister Behaviour]

The Flower King is less concerned with 'Cosmic Evil' as he is with genuine evil. Undead are dangerous in as much as they are the frequent tool of genuinely Sinister Evil powers such as Orcus. The Flower King does not generally give the same kind of unyeilding, crusader-style commandments as many good aligned deities.
Similarly, Characters can quite happily embrace him without necessarily having to shun 'Sinister' behaviour at all costs. The Psychology of Fear and Intimidation can be a powerful Tool. In the Feywild, amongst the Archfey of the Court of Stars, it is the Flower King's own 'Merciless' nature in combat that goes some way to persuading his rivals not to confront him openly. Though he is essentially forgiving, he is rarely known to grant quarter to a fallen foe who has already spurned the opportunity to surrender. To those rare creatures and Archfey foolish enough to have challenged him in his own Demesne, he has shown no mercy or quarter at all.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2009, 17:54:14 »

This is getting even more interesting should I perhaps post and edited version of A'melle's patron? or would that give the game away here.

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2009, 18:18:23 »

Lolth
Has great power amongst the Drow but beyond them has more or less none.  She has powerful enemies in the feywilde  and the surface world. She can seldom act openly but has not changed in persona since her failed attempt to unseat Correlion which banished her to the abyss and drove her ally's from there home in the feywilde altogether. She still seeks power but is wiser now knowing that power is easier to achieve if your foe does not suspect it till far too late.

She is a schemer and a worker from shadows only too happy to grant those who want easy power that power for a cost which is not to be revealed to them at the time. She would use her pact sworn to further her aims in the world beyond the abyss and the underdark of the mortal realm. She will appear to be what she is not either a Demon or an archfey she is given to seeming fair and good until her prey is good and bound to her a classic spider and like a spider the prey once caught doesn’t escape.

Her pacts typically seem one off and require minor sacrifices but the Warlock is never forgotten and Lolth will use them and guide them form the shadows doling out more power, not infrequently in a different guise so the Warlock does not suspect he is binding himself further to the same entity, as she wishes until the Warlock is her creature. Lolths schemes are complex and it may suit her to play her agents against each other as she does the Drow for she is a ruthless believer in social Darwinism. 

Her pacts favour non aligned and Evil warlocks generally but she is not above offering power to good one in order to so enslave it and whilst she favours females most of her Warlocks are male which may say something about there disposability in her cause.

A Warlock bound to her will generally not know the truth about his patron.

« Last Edit: 11 March 2009, 18:23:19 by EvilGinger » Logged

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2009, 19:03:42 »

This is getting even more interesting should I perhaps post and edited version of A'melle's patron? or would that give the game away here.
I thought you were leaving that up to me? Smiley If you have more written up about her patron, I'd suggest you send any of it to me via pm or email, and I'll let you know from there. Smiley
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2009, 22:49:21 »

I was but  was considering mentioning it here by way of an example but as most of the actual pact is not defined yet ( I did indeed leave it up to you) I will leave it to you to post any thing about it. I wasent going to give away any dreadful secrets. Like the yearly sacrifice of a lizard man for example Wink

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2009, 02:05:08 »

The Aphelion Chronicles
~
Chapter XVIII - Of the Esoteric Order of The Star Eater and His Thousand Dead Suns Rising
The Large tome is bound in unfamiliar leather, it's clasp perhaps an ancient ivory. It is clearly a copy, though old enough none the less. It is a wordy and clearly slightly unhinged document detailing various ancient Astronomancical studies and related mythologies. As the book goes on, the nameless Author becomes increasingly perculiar, often going on long nonsensical and sometimes quite ominous tangents. By Chapter XVIII, the book is barely recognisable from the almost scientific tone of the earlier sections. It is full of hyperboli and illegible diagrams. The Chapter describes at some length an extraplaner being or 'forgotten' demon prince, Ogg'Ullothon the Eater of Stars. An Utterly Nihilistic entity, trapped in impossibly ancient times by the Gods of some alien world in an Extra-Planar prison that would hold the evil entity till the end of all creation, or beyond. The book makes a number of wild claims at this point, eventually becoming an incomprehensible rant for several pages (All dutifully transcribed, even down to the violent slashing-marks made by the original author's pen when language itself seemed to momentarily fail him).

Subsequent chapters concern themselves with a number of histories of various cults and orders that have held Ogg'Ullothon as their patron. Some seeking to unleash him upon the world to bring about it's true destruction, others merely seeking to use the entity as a source of power, tapping into his prison with false promise of freedom. The final section concerns itself with oddly detailed descriptions of various rituals and rites relating to the Sun Eater. The book's nameless author claims that several of them, if performed right, would indeed crack open a channel the eternal prison of dread Ogg'Ullothon and end the world itself.

Later Chapters are even more wild fancifull, eventually devolving into outright drivel.

The Above is a handout I used in my running of the Keep on the Shadowfell, detailing bits and pieces of A Forgotten Demon-Prince (an alledgedly fictional one). Clearly, such an entity is quite a decent choice for a Star-Pact patron, albeit a rather bleak and possibly dangerous one.

Ogg'Ullothon the Star Eater

Ogg'Ullothon is an utterly Nihilistic entity, even by Demonic standards. Although described as a forgotten Demon Prince, it is more properly described as an entity of the Far Realm. Imprisoned in impossibly ancient times by 'Alien Gods', this world-devouring ender-of-all-things is essentially impotent to act directly in any plane. If it exists, it is unlikely to have a conciousness as understood by mortal minds. Perhaps it is beyond the understanding even of the Gods. It seemingly only exists to destroy, to consume the very stuff and fabric of reality; To end the Multiverse itself, one plane at a time.

Entombed in a semi-sentient demiplane prison for all time, it is possible that the entity is no longer truly alive. But this doesn't stop it from being a source of Power for those reckless enough, or nihilistic enough, to risk dealing with.

[The Deal]

There are several ways to draw power from Ogg'Ullothon. Either the Prospective Warlock can appeal directly to the entity (Or to the sentient echo of the entity, depending on DM's whim. The Entity is alien enough to reality that it is quite possible that 'Death' has not quite the same meaning as to creatures and beings native to the Cosmology we know of.)  or the Warlock can tap into the same kind of power indirectly, essentially stealing the creature's power, or even tapping into the power of the Dread Prison itself. If tapping into the Entity without its content, or syphoning power from it's planar prison, then no formal 'deal' as such is required. Instead, it will likely take the form of a one-off sacrifice of some form, such as;

1) Using various magical items (or the residuum drawn from them) to feul a dread ritual, with a vast and (specifically master-work) Mirror as the focus, the power is drained and the character becomes a Warlock. The items are destroyed, crumbling to dust upon completion of the ritual.

2) Similar to the above, complete with the Large Ornate Mirror as focus, but the 'Energy' required to fuel the ritual and tap into the extra-planar source of arcane power comes instead from the sacrifice of living entities. Perhaps any living creature is required. Perhaps only using intelligent creatures or even friends and family will produce enough power to fuel the ritual and take what you will from the entombed Entity. Perhaps only slaying your Intelligent Sacrifices in such a way as to trap and/or destroy their very soul's will give you enough energy to tap into the Prison Plane without being drawn into it in turn.

Alternatively, particularly Fatalistic or unscrupulous characters may seek to deal directly with Ogg'Ullothon.

Considering that the entity is very firmly trapped, it is not, unlike other patrons, genuinely dealing from a position of strength. Though one-off deals are possible, (largely because of it's desperate nature) they are unlikely to be what it needs or craves. Ogg'Ullothon seeks the freedom to destroy. It will likely push for services that work towards eventually granting it this freedom, either in the form of researching and performing rituals to do so, or founding dread cults to work towards similar ends en mass.
It is quite possible to use the creature's desperation against it, however, and to break the deal with (Relative) impunity, because it is so utterly nihilistic that it generally struggles to attract followers.

Ogg'Ullothon (Or it's sentient echo, if the entity is dead in the DM's version of the multiverse), will whisper foul promises of further power and riches beyond measure to any foolish enough to initiate contact. If they are aware of it's true goals and nature, it will balance these bribes with promises to leave their plane of existence to last, claiming that it would instead begin with alternate planes of existence, which would take it centuries to devour, allowing the Warlock with hundreds of years to live in unrivalled splendor, having the world tremble at their feet while Ogg'Ullothon instead consumes the Shadowfell, Feywild or other planes as relevant.

[Good Or Evil?]
Ogg'Ullothon is without doubt truly Evil, if it exists in truth. It is an uncaring, Alien thing that longs only to snuff out all that exists. It is verging on inconceivable that a Good Character would ever knowingly seek to bargain with such an entity. Even Devils and some Demons are unlikely to relish the idea of the foul star-spawn ever being freed. Truth be told, however, it would be suprising if any such character even knew of the Star-Eater's existence. Such Evil Characters as become aware of Ogg'Ullothon could very well see a source of power worth exploiting, especially those who are desperate, or simply insane. The Star-Eater's foul whisperings would soon send such a character mad, should they be foolish enough to make contact in any event!

Unnaligned characters could well find themselves tempted to exploit Ogg'Ullothon for their own ends, making a 'Pact'. However, they are likely to be drawn towards such methods that do not require dealing with Ogg'Ullothon itself, stealing power from it, or simply syphoning it from his extra-planar prison. Those who enter into direct deals with the Entity are unlikely to do so with anything resembling honesty, likely betraying the entity when the power has been granted. Possibly even by actively working to undo the efforts of those rare Cults devoted to Ogg'Ullothon, effectively undermining the Otherworldly Horror's chance of ever being freed. Still, any contact with the foul Eater of Stars or his (rare) worldly forces is dangerous, and Players should explore the roleplaying possibilities presented by such peril to their characters 'Sanity' with their DM.

[Worldly Forces]
Whether or not the Entity is real, was real, or is living or dead in the DM's version of the Cosmos, it is possible that their are cults of some kind dedicated to the creature. Such cults are overwhelmingly made up of humans, being as they are by far the easiest to corrupt, and often the most naive when it comes to such otherworldly horrors. Even more rare than such cults are ones genuinely devoted to their 'Master' and his cause.

Other than such small cults of the insane, it is possible that particularly foul individuals of an Abherrant origin may revere Ogg'Ullothon as a God. Mind-Flayers in particular are a possibility, but it should be mentioned that Illithids who dedicate themselves to such an entity are just as likely to be hated and reviled for their blasphemies as their Human equivelants.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: