Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
19 April 2024, 14:04:31 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Who said anything about panicking? This is still culture shock. You wait till I`ve settled down in the situation and found my bearings a bit. Then I`ll start panicking. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4E players handbook 2  (Read 2986 times)
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« on: 23 March 2009, 14:07:10 »

by way of a review.

If you like 4E D&D as I have to admit that I do despite it being quite different form previous editions of the game you will be pleased to know that the same production quality and coherence of approach is applied in this slightly slimmer volume, 223 pages compared to the 317 of PHB 1.

what you get 5 new races though only on the Deva's are totally new these being a "race" of now mortal angels The others are Half orcs now a race of its own for reasons of the games new PG image Gnomes fleshed out from the Monster Manual Shifters also fleshed out from the monster manual and Goliaths reworked form 3E Races of Stone

each of these and the exiting 8 races form the PHB 1 now get at least one racial paragon path each which can be entered at 11th level regardless of class

8 character classes 4 for the new Primal (spirit) power group one for each role Striker, Controller Leader Defender  Bard a very interesting and customisable arcane Leader as the class can take  multiple multi class feats and do a bit of every thing thereby. The avenger a divine striker specializing in hunting down the enemies of its deity and Smiting them lots  Evil. The  Invoker a divine controller who calls down the wrath of its god the Sorcerer an interesting new variation on the 3E character class which has two very distinct builds listed and is a characterful as the warlock which it resembles

more epic  destiny's tailored to the new classes for the most part. Character options Backgrounds which allow players to generate a bespoke version of the regional backgrounds in 4E forgotten realms book and there by gain a small character bonus.

More feats both specific to the new classes and expanding the generally available ones. more magic items mostly but not all tailored for the new character classes and some more Ritual magic most of which can only be used by the bard.

over all it looks good seems to work well though I have not thus far play tested any of the stuff in the book owing to D&D day not working out quite as planned. DAT has so I expect ney demand he  comment on that

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2009, 20:13:06 »

- A comment? Well, the Bard, Avenger, Invoker and Barbarian all handled themselves well in the one encounter i DM'ed. All four classes had no problem getting to the end of an encounter battling creatures appropriate for their level. Each class seemed to fulfill their role well, dishing out damage or controlling the battlefield, sometimes both! To end this brief commentary, these four classes seemed to work - and work well.

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: