Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
19 April 2024, 01:05:46 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I said, Does anyone know ..... - Trillian
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Forum Help (a thread for the rest of us)  (Read 3558 times)
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« on: 05 March 2013, 13:36:47 »

Hi Gang,
After a couple of days of wrangling with new Mods and fixing code I have finally got a solution for those that want a cleaner set of "Recent Posts" on the front page:
Under your Profile Settings there is now a section called: "Recent posts preferences" under here you can select the boards that you want to see posts from on the front page.
*WARNING*
Once you have set your preferences this will become an OPT-IN system, meaning any new Sub-Forums/boards will not automatically be selected! you will have have to revisit the page and add them.
The New Posts alerts will still show and the "Latest Posts" menu item will still show all the posts.
The First Block of Recent Posts has links (the Title is a link, as is the little graphic on the left) that will take you to another page with as longer list of recent posts which is also filtered by your preference.
Please let me know what you think of the new options and layout.
Many Thanks.

Thanks for the latest settings. I can now easily locate game session write ups and notes no matter where they are posted. I think it's also worth mentioning that selecting a main topic includes all the subforums and threads inside it. - Also useful.  thumbs up

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2013, 14:12:40 »

Hi Dat,

Glad you find this useful, I would be careful what you select though. With the tests I have carried out with our test user and the details on the SMF site about this mod, it literally only monitors the selected items (on the recent posts) if there are sub-forums you will need to select each one. As and when new ones are created you would need to add those to your selection to keep the monitoring up-to-date.

You can experiment with the effects by changing your selections and see what appears/disappears on the front page recent posts.

It is also worth noting to revert to monitoring all messages in the recent posts - When using the "Recent posts preferences",  check the "check all" button (So everything is highlighted) then uncheck "Check all" and save the preferences. With them all blank you will see all messages, including any from new boards created.

I am still learning this at the same time as everyone else, but hopefully this will prove helpfull to all.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 00:12:41 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2013, 19:40:06 »

Personally I would not use this mod as I can navigate a well laid out  forum  without it but I can always appreciate  effort from an Admin who is trying to make things better for users

well done Zarni   Beer

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2013, 23:17:11 »

I'd say this was a definite quality of life improvement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: