Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 18:07:26 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Caves are cool. Let`s Get out there and relate to it - Zaphod BeebleBrox
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital TV - Too much money?  (Read 5345 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 14 May 2013, 21:22:16 »

I have previously gone down the route of haggling with SKY and negotiated better deals, but whilst these are great they are always short-term.

I understand the benefits of haggling, I do, but I want to spend my evenings/weekends enjoying the benefits of my hard working day not squander them having to chase companies to do what they should be doing anyway to existing customers.

Simply SKY charges too much for its product, does not care about existing customers and just wants to attract new ones.

There package structure is confusing and pointless and if, like me, you  prefer to use another company for Phone and a different one again for broadband you are penalised because they want you to buy everything from them to give you a "better" deal.

So I have finally taken the plunge and cancelled my SKY TV, and will be using Freeview and the Streaming TV companies to fill some of the gaps. This will save me quite some money over time, I did manage to keep the recording option on the SKY boxes for a £10pm

I will keep an eye on this and see if I really get the benefit of even this, so I may even cancel that later on.

It's a shame that in the modern age that customer loyalty and the word of mouth benefit that brings has long since been forgotten/overlooked by big companies. I hope that some entrepreneur comes up with a really competitive Internet/streaming TV option that provides some real competition to these big companies to make them sit up and take notice.

For those that are happy to take the time to use negotiation tactics good luck to you it can reap benefits but I personally just do not have the energy to keep it up.

Just thought I would share my choices and decisions in case it helps anyone else.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2013, 21:54:39 »

Yeah, paying for special tv channels feels increasingly weird in the world of Freeview and Netflicks, even before you get into talking about more niche alternatives like Crunchy Roll and stuff.
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2013, 14:37:06 »

Crunchy Roll would have hooked me like a honeybadgerfish if they offered more varied anime instead of the stuff thats just broadcasting on possibly one channel in japan. - Shame.

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2013, 18:52:49 »

Not something which would tempt me when I did have cable my main use for the television was to listen to the BBC world service in the day time whilst painting rather cool trying to brush up on my Farsi listening to the program for teaching Farsi speakers English....

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2014, 20:17:39 »

Well I am not missing sky and I now have a shiny new freesat pvr which is proving to be an excellent replacement for the sky box.  Once I have caught up on the recorded content I will cease payment for the sky+

I will probably the put the 1tb drive to better user in my pc  thumbs up

now to just avoid the sky users in the office spoiling game of thrones season 4  BangHead

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2014, 22:01:55 »

There's probably some kind of direct streaming alternative if it's just that one show you want to get your hands on without waiting for the DVD box-set. I can't imagine none of the big streamers having GoT. Probably works out significantly cheaper than Sky+, if so. Worth considering.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2014, 04:45:30 »

I will show you how to put a dagger in their livers - they will soon learn  Evil Laughing 9

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: