Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 April 2024, 11:44:22 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I wish i knew where my mice were. - Trillian
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5432 times)
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« on: 09 August 2009, 05:06:16 »

"Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Prepare to guide your stout charges to fortune in a world fraught with many perils. You'll begin by creating your world and watching an animation of the region's history. Once this process is completed, you can prepare a group of dwarves and send them out to seek wealth deep in the mountains. As you dig deeper and more dwarves take up residence in your outpost, your doings will attract attention, both wanted and unwanted. Deal with challenges as they arise, and you might one day find that your fortress has grown to become the capital of the kingdom."

The Official Website is Here but you will learn much more by reading This

I'm starting this thread as a place for people to post about their own Dwarven Fortresses and terrifying encounters with Monstrous Carp.

I also need to officially apologise to Evil Ginger, on account of I believe I not only robbed him of a nights sleep by introducing him to the retro-styled insanity and improbable depth of the Dorf's, but also by extension physically injured him as he apparently fell off his stool laughing when one of his dorf's came down with severe cave adaption.

If more than just myself and possibly Evil are interested in Fortressing, I have an idea for later in the season, but I'll go into that a bit later, after posting the story of my first real attempt at a Fortress...
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2009, 14:25:16 »

"Apology accepted"  I will however correct you as it was not one, but  28 of my dwarves! who had been mining but I needed to get stuff up to my external trade hall in a hurry so I had them all act as porters. My ribs are still sore and I am going even blinder staring at the interface.

Evil Ginger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2009, 18:29:00 »

"Apology accepted"  I will however correct you as it was not one, but  28 of my dwarves! who had been mining but I needed to get stuff up to my external trade hall in a hurry so I had them all act as porters. My ribs are still sore and I am going even blinder staring at the interface.

Evil Ginger
You got it running with the tile-based mod, or the 'original' purely text-based nethack/rogue style?

I found it a lot less intimidating using Mike Mayday's semi-graphical collected easy-instal version thing.

Having read up on it, I concur. Severe Cave adaption is awesomely hilarious. Apparently there are ways to treat it, but it is a difficult, expensive path that involves lots of vomit.

There follows the tale of Nothinod, an ill-fated settlement in the mountainous regions of a still-young world.

YEAR ONE - Year of Sudden Fire. or; Mushrooms? We don't need no stinkin mushrooms!
Seven carefully chosen dwarves, two dogs and two fluffy, adorable cats embarked in a gloomy mountain-step, far from any significant neighbors.
The two principle miners quickly excavated a simple dormitory and barracks, before continuing onwards and downwards to start both the workshop floor, and the attached store-rooms beneath. Refuse went outside, out of the way so as to avoid filling the fortress with the stench of decay, and the small graveyard was placed on a hill overlooking the entrance. Not that we'd be needing it.

Summer soon passed beneath a flurry of activity. Beds were made, doors also. Food and wood storage was provided, but mostly vast achres of rock storage. The ground was hard and unwelcoming, but rich in useful rock. In autumn, the first dwarven caravans arrived, though they had to complete the journey on foot as the entire fortress was inaccessible for such vehicles. Trading was not amazing, but we came away with some extra food and drink.

Not much, however. It was then, having explored the stocks, that I realised just how low we had gotten. We had, in fact, no source of food. At all. It was well into late autumn when I realised that not only had my dwarves embarked upon a rocky, soil-less land, but they had not even attempted to build a farm.

Now everyone was getting hungry. The alcohol wasn't looking very plentiful either. Work began on an off-site farm, in the lower hills. However, the work was not completed, as at the start of winter, it all went wrong for the Seven.

In a flurry of violence, three dwarves and both the adult cats died a fiery death, as a fire-imp clawed its way up from the bottomless pit, (just south of the pool of magma) and went on a rampage. Quickly enlisting the miners and woodcutters, the imp was dealt with. However, the surviving miner was injured, and work slowed to a halt. As winter grew more grim, the surviving dwarves began to slowly starve. One was lost to drowning, depression and tiredness making him careless while fetching water from the stream. Another starved.
The remaining two took to fishing, and hunting vermin to survive. all work ceased, bar that required to survive.

As spring broke, bringing a fresh batch of migrants, only one dwarf of the seven remained alive. With the new labour force, (all hideously poorly skilled at any usefull, apparently consisting largely of peasants and gemsmiths)  work on making the stocks of fish edible began, and slowly things began to stablise. Not before the last of the original dwarves could be killed by either goblin attackers, of course.

Year two began, with Elven Caravans making their first visit, and all the original settlers dead...
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2009, 22:51:57 »

Very amusing and rather more successfully than my best attempt so far which was the one which featured the mass Cave adaptation Episode. I did quickly learn to build underground farms where you can grow mushrooms a crop that can also be brewed into booze apparently not that I have ever managed it, I also enlisted most of the first years migrants as miners which speeded things up a lot even if as Tiki says they are either amazingly skilled in something not immediately useful or utterly unskilled altogether, they can help dig and offer more targets of low value to any nasty you do dig up.

The fortress did not however survive long into its second year as despite managing to feed itself. no dwarf thought to save any seed so mushroom farming died the death. There where two invasions of goblins which killed several dwarves owing to the cave adaptation issue. Then had to fight them inside, as I had found even a goblin can easily kill a dwarf which is to busy vomiting to fight back. My last original dwarf a hunter died a sad lonely death somewhere outside whilst hunting I needed leather for armour and several of the first years migrants just vanished and before autumn the population dropped to a point it was not viable and I abandoned the fortress.

That said I am just about to start again having downloaded a good tutorial as  idea I now know what I did wrong....

EvilGinger

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2009, 19:08:28 »

Yeah, I played on a good ways from the above, and many hijinks and cockups followed, naturally. It was a couple of years before food started to stablise. Suffice it to say, the second years dwarves spent most of that year hungry, I had no miners so sod all construction got done, and there were frequent mass starvations.

Also, periodical Goblin attacks and Kobold raids.

Pressure was limited by occaisionally locking the elven merchants in the trade depot and waiting for them to die. Generally, as they get more and more desperate, they invariably would go completely mad, and attack each other. In the first case, their musk-ox went completely and utterly berserk, splattered everything in elf blood, then slowly bled to death itself from it's wounds.

The junk they left around their corpses would be promptly claimed and sold to the next dwarven caravan to show, of course, given the fortress lacked all significant craftsdwarfs.

Rigorous domestic-animal butchering (mostly puppies. The cat population having been wiped out), and having most of the dwarves spend all day fishing finally managed to give them a handhold, and by the end, mining had resumed. A farm was finally built, and I had experimented with digging channels to give my little beardlings access to water without so much chance of drowning. Eventually I added a well to the setup, but all that did was make it so that every single dwarf not currently doing something really desperately important just hung out there, blabbing about stuff and generally being idle. Stupid Peasants and their stupid granite water-cooler.

I abandoned the fortress shortly after, to start over now armed with a vague grasp of how to do things, and what to do in the first-place.

Of course, this wasn't my first fortress. The first one didn't get past the first autumn. The madmen set up camp in a tropical jungle that hadn't a rock in sight. The mud-walled fortress looked okay, as I started on the most basic essentials, but I didn't know about dealing with rubbish at the time.

In short, if you dump your trash outside, away from your dwarves, it's all good. But if, like me, you carefully plot out a space for it inside, like your other stores, it rots. Soon the mud-walled fort was filled with noxious purple miasma and rank with flies and grubs and funny little lizard corpses. Live and learn.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2009, 20:05:15 »

now know what I did wrong....

how surprised dear reader will you be to find that my confident prediction was shockingly wrong, probably not at all given the hubris of the statement above....

since then I have built several more fortresses

the first failed when the one woodcutter went a bit strange during the winter and killed the gem cutter who was expedition leader and with whom she had a grudge with her axe as well as two other dwarves before the miner killed her with his pick this left four dwarves all wounded and sad at the mass death. one went to bed and seems died there I think because I had made no buckets for water and the booze proved fatal but I am not sure. The other dwarves got even sadder and the miner went berserk and as he was the only armed dwarf killed both the other two reaming dwarves  before fleeing into the wilderness....

the second was built on a mountainous plateaux which proved to have lots of mineral wealth but little water no trees no vegetation and most importantly no soil and was abandoned very quickly because it was discovered to be impossible to set up the required cave mushroom farm. However all the dwarves left very rich with a wagon loaded with uncut gems and precious ores. history does not record them returning to dwarven civilization....

the third was also built near mountains very rocky but with small deposits of loam which could be mined for underground farms. However these proved to be far too small to allow for sustenance let alone  growth and there where too few trees or other vegetation to be of much use....

the fourth did very well and yet thrives in its own way but was built on an aquifer and unable to dig deep enough to find stone without finding water. It proved inaccessible to trade caravans and it was also beset with Kobalds in its second year which with very few weapons the militia had very great difficulty dealing with

yet a fifth will be built on the lessons of the above.....

this is worse than my Space empires addiction and the Ascii is making me go blind(er)

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2009, 17:42:43 »

From the dwaven fortress forum

Heh.  I have but one word:

KAbOOM!

A dragon appeared on my map, and promptly made a beeline for the trade depot.  The elven traders screamed in agony as he roasted them alive (heh heh heh); unfortunately, my broker ignored the 'get the hell inside, NOW!' order and got fried too.

He's a lot tougher than those pansy elves, though.  After he and the wardogs and some guards finished beating the dragon to death (yikes?), he swung his pick over his shoulder and casually strolled into the fortress... still burning.  What's a little fire to a dwarf, right?

Then he decided he was thirsty, and headed to the booze stockpile.

What makes matters worse is that, in addition to the lousy temperament of dwarves who have just seen all their booze go up in flames, several of the barrels (of all things) were masterpieces.  My carpenter threw a tantrum, and hurled a cat down the main hallway, where it splattered on the wall.  The cat belonged to my mason, who promptly retreated into melancholy.

And of course, the burning booze didn't stop dwarves from trying to get to the rest of the stockpile (what was left of it), then heading on to other tasks... while on fire!

Soon, my wood stockpile was merrily blazing, my charcoal bins were sending clouds of smoke rolling through the workshop area, and my beds had turned into smoldering piles of ash.

I lost 26 dwarves before I abandoned.  Sheesh.

found during a lul in paper work made me laugh

EvilGinger

Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2009, 13:18:39 »

Another nugget of flaming dwarven gold. Cheesy

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print