Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
16 April 2024, 08:31:33 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Life! Don`t talk to me about life - Marvin (The Paranoid Android!)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Hulk  (Read 12248 times)
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« on: 24 August 2009, 15:57:38 »

Space Hulk is out sept 5th if my glimpse on boardgamegeek is correct. Raiders VIII is sept 19th.
Anybody buying this and bringing it to the event? I have wanted to play this game since i was a kid and knowing there will be the latest edition there at Raiders will be a great incentive for me to leave my house.
Does anyone even have an interest in it in general?

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2009, 18:09:03 »

I do never owned a copy as a friend did, but this is quite the best game GW ever produced IMO and its so typical of the Accursed Lentonite scum that its been out of print so very very long. It is also just about the perfect small unit tactical skirmish game ever simple fast to play yet very deep.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
whitefire
Burton Delvers
Mild Psychosis

« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2009, 01:36:23 »

Well, I  have this on pre-order having been advised of it whilst waiting for my son at GW in Burton.

I'll bring it along to Raiders if you like. Might even play it myself..
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2009, 13:43:21 »

whoo-oo!

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2009, 13:50:48 »

before or after the marathon game of EVE conquests old chap

EvilGinger

RichardD
Aware

« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2009, 23:35:11 »

I've got a copy of Space Hulk 3rd edition.  And 2nd edition.  And 1st edition.  And a load of metal miniatures that I bought for the 1st edition and never got around to painting.  What I don't seem to have are all of the genestealers from my 1st edition copy - they look to have gone walkies (probably as a result of moving house 4 times since I last played it); maybe they're in a box somewhere, maybe they've gone for good.  The box that they *should* have been in is empty, which isn't a good sign ...

Anyway, it's a toss-up between Heroscape and Space Hulk for me this weekend.  Right now I'm leaning towards Space Hulk.  I've got two squads of the Marines painted up, and I've spent this afternoon punching out he cardboard and finishing a quick paintjob on two stray figures from my old collection, so we can use painted Marines at the weekend.  I'm not going to paint any genestealers, though, and will probably use my old 2nd edition miniatures simply because I don't think I've got the time to assemble all of the new ones.

I wonder how much a White Dwarf quality paintjob would cost, if I wanted to get all the 3rd edition figures painted by someone really good?
RichardD
Aware

« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2009, 00:34:00 »

What I don't seem to have are all of the genestealers from my 1st edition copy

Found the little grubs.  They were hiding in the Advanced Space Crusade box.  Which was pretty light on content even with 20+ stray genestealers and a pile of hybrids; once they had been repatriated, the box looked distinctly empty.  Games Workshop - masters at selling something containing mostly nothing.  Which makes 3rd ed Space Hulk even more remarkable - I fear it's going to be a re-run of the Heroscape box, in that once it's been opened, it is almost impossible to get all the bits back in!
carldjcross
Staff
Unhinged

« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2009, 09:28:03 »

I wonder how much a White Dwarf quality paintjob would cost, if I wanted to get all the 3rd edition figures painted by someone really good?

£331.05 plus postage and packing apparently:

http://bit.ly/NLqCT

Ekil erif, ekam erif. Erif, erif DiMaggio.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2009, 11:20:36 »

£331.05  Splutters,  then wipes tea  from all over computer monitor looks again ......... £331.05...... Egad I am under charging horibly..... or some one is trying to rip people off, the  page wont load so I cant say for sure which.

EvilGinger

edit have seen it now nice paint job in heavy metal house style a bit too dark for blood angels who should be bright red like aerial blood as they are on the box art GW painted figures and I don't like the stealer's could easily do better than that. Not however worth £331.05 IMO as usual with ebay "pro paint jobs" & don't forget the $75 fixed postage either.

EvilGinger

« Last Edit: 16 September 2009, 11:28:45 by EvilGinger » Logged

RichardD
Aware

« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2009, 15:56:15 »

It's a nice paintjob, and pretty much the sport of thing that I'd want on my figures.  Problem is the small matter of £300+.  I'd get lynched if I spent that sort of money.

Anyway, after saying that I had two old squads of Termies painted up, I found myself in possession of a spare set of Space marine sprues (one figure was damaged in transit, so GW sent out a replacement).  With a post on boardgamegeek suggesting a particularly quick and easy painting technique, I thought that it would be rude not to - so I've painted most of a set of the new figures.  If the last layer dries properly today in time to varnish them tonight, I should be able to use these nice new figures on Saturday.  The genestealers remain unpainted, though.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Tr7lB9cAk4E/SrEOqdRhpeI/AAAAAAAAAbM/ALlPfafOh-s/s512/IMG_0038.JPG

Done 11 of these over the last 2 days.  The paintjob won't win any awards, but I'm happy enough with it for the amount of effort I put in.  Hopefully I won't screw it all up with the varnishing tonight.
RichardD
Aware

« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2009, 16:16:10 »

That all worked rather well.

I ducked out of Space Hulk between 2 and 4 to play Ad Astra (a useful experience; it saved me spending £45 to discover that I don't like the game), but for the rest of the time I was playing or running Space Hulk downstairs.

Here's a couple of shots:

Roy and Vince:

I played Suicide (Mission 1) with Scouse first, moving on to each having a crack at Exterminate (Mission 2).  Exterminate is far too easy for the Marines - even when I ganked Scouse's Sergeant *and* heavy weapon Marine in the first combat, his last man just sat at the end of a corridor and wiped out everything that came at him.  Meanwhile on my turn at the Marines, I had two men left at the end including the assault cannon at the end of a corridor who hadn't fired a single shot (and therefore had the ammo in hand to comfortably dispatch 15 or more).

Suicide's a different kettle of fish.  It's so hard for the Marines that I'd taken two 'stealer blips off them at the start and they were *still* winning quite comfortably.

We had a good session at the end, with everyone taking a turn at the 'stealers before using what they had learned to play the Marines, with the roles rotating through the three players.

Next time, I do one of the *huge* missions I think.

« Last Edit: 20 September 2009, 16:25:25 by RichardD » Logged
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2009, 13:43:26 »

Words can't express how sad i am that i couldn't attend this.  Sad Here's hoping for more games.

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2009, 17:13:03 »

might be able to do something about that.

not sure what yet but I am plotting

EvilGinger

tinpot_creos
Blissful Ignorance

« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2010, 14:44:15 »

I'm well up for a game of Space Hulk at RotGM tomorrow, if any kind soul wants to bring along a copy and talk me through the rules, that is.

I've played it a couple of time, a long time ago.

A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: