Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 17:01:30 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Trust you? Zaphod me old mate, Id trust you from about as far as I could comfortably take your appendix out. - Ford Prefect
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wandering Fortress; Approved Homebrew Races  (Read 7132 times)
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Psychotic

« on: 19 September 2009, 02:28:09 »

Approved Homebrew Races culled from elsewhere will be reproduced here, with credit where applicable. Changes and rebalancing may take place before final approval, however.

Note - Anyone interested in playing a race posted here, pm me, email me, or reply here and say so and we'll work the specifics out.

The following few are taken from here, and are not my creation.

Monstrous Races brewed by Limos of the Giant In The Playground forums. Reproduced without explicit permission.

Harpy

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5’0’’ – 5’5’’
Average Weight: 100 – 120lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6, 8 Fly (clumsy)
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Perception
Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Avian Build: You cannot fly while encumbered or while wearing heavy armor. In addition you cannot wield a weapon in two hands while flying.
Deadly Screech: You may use Deadly Screech as an encounter power

Deadly Screech         Harpy Racial Power
Your high pitched shriek brings pain and confusion to all within hearing.
Encounter✦ Thunder
Standard Action   Close Burst 1
Deaf creatures are immune
Target: All in burst
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude
Increase to +4 at 11th level
Increase to +6 at 21st level
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier thunder damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Satyr

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5’5’’ – 6’0’’
Average Weight: 130 – 180lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, and Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Nature
Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Suave Aura: You grant all non-Satyr allies within 5 squares a +2 bonus to Bluff.
Feint: You may use Feint as an encounter power

Feint            Satyr Racial Power
You’re just too sexy for them to keep their eyes off you.
Encounter
Move Action      Ranged 5
Blind creatures are immune
Target: One creature within 5 squares
Attack: Charisma or Dexterity +2 vs. Will
Hit: You gain combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.

Kuo-toa

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 4’9’’ – 5’9’’
Average Weight: 140 – 170lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Speed: 6, Swim 6
Vision: Darkvision
Languages: Common and Deep Speech
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Dungeoneering
Aquatic: You may breathe normally underwater and ignore rough water while swimming. You never need to make an Athletics check to swim.
Kuo-toa Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Trident.
Slick Maneuver: You may use Slick Maneuver as an At-will power.

Slick Maneuver         Kuo-toa Racial Power
Your too slippery for them to handle.
At-Will
Immediate reaction
Trigger: An attack from an adjacent enemy misses you.
Effect: You may shift into any other legal square adjacent to the same enemy, up to two squares away.

Sahuagin

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5’5’’ – 6’0’’

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Speed: 6, Swim 6
Vision: Low light
Languages: Common and Deep Speech
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate
Aquatic: You may breathe normally underwater and ignore rough water while swimming. You never need to make an Athletics check to swim.
Blood Hunger: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +2 bonus to damage rolls against bloodied enemies.
Sahuagin Fury: You may use Sahuagin Fury as an encounter power.

Sahuagin Fury                   Sahuagin Racial Power
Sometimes it’s nice to have a couple extra hands to work with.
Encounter
Standard Action      Melee
Make a melee basic attack and then two secondary attacks against the same enemy.
Secondary Attack: Strength +2 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + Strength modifier damage.

Yuan-Ti

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5’5’’ – 6’5’’
Average Weight: 140 – 200lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
Languages: Common and Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealth, +2 History
Forest Walk: You ignore difficult terrain relating to trees, underbrush, plants or natural growth.
Serpent Coils: You gain a +2 bonus to grapple checks.
Venomous Strike: You may use Venomous Strike as an Encounter power.

Venomous Strike      Yuan-Ti Racial Power
Your bite actually is worse than your bark.
Encounter
Standard Action   Melee
Attack: Strength, Constitution or Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + Strength, Constitution or Dexterity modifier damage and Ongoing 4 poison damage.
     Increase to 6 poison damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create a character, choose Strength, Constitution or Charisma as the ability score used for this power. This choice remains throughout your characters life and cannot be changed.
choice remains throughout your characters life and cannot be changed.

Illithid

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5’5’’ – 6’3’’

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Telepathy 10
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Diplomacy
Abberant Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Far Realms, so you are considered an Abberant creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Brain Eater: On a successful Coup-de-grace you gain temporary hitpoints equal to half the targets highest mental ability score.
Mind Blast: You may use Mind Blast as an encounter power.

Mind Blast         Illithid Racial Power
You crush the psyches of the weak with your superior mind.
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma vs. Will
Hit: The target is dazed (save ends) for a maximum number of rounds equal to your Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma modifier.
Special: When you create a character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma as the ability score used for this power. This choice remains throughout your characters life and cannot be changed.

Medusa (Female)

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 4’9’’ – 5’9’’

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Vision: Low-light
Immune: Petrification
Resist: 5 Poison
Petrifying Gaze: You may use Petrifying Gaze as an encounter power.

Petrifying Gaze         Medusa Racial Power
You will look lovely in my statue garden
Encounter✦ Gaze, Poison, Psychic
Standard Action   Close blast 3
Blind creatures are immune.
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma vs. Fortitude
      Level 11: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude
      Level 21: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma +4 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Target is Immobilized (save ends).
(Second failed save) Target is Petrified (save ends)
Special: When you create a character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma as the ability score used for this power. This choice remains throughout your characters life and cannot be changed.

Medusa (Male)

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5’2’’ – 6’3’’
Average Weight: 150 – 210lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Charisma
Vision: Low-light
Immune: Petrification
Resist: 5 + 1/2 Level Poison
Venomous Gaze: You may use Venomous Gaze as an encounter power.

Venomous Gaze      Medusa Racial Power
I can shoot poison from my eyes. Want to see?
Encounter✦ Gaze, Poison, Psychic
Standard Action   Close blast 3
Blind creatures are immune.
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma modifier Poison damage and 2 ongoing poison damage.
      Level 11: 2d6 + Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma modifier Poison damage and 4 ongoing poison damage.
      Level 21: 3d6 + Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma modifier Poison damage and 6 ongoing poison damage.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2009, 03:03:28 by Snakes in the Tiki Lounge » Logged
Psychotic

« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2009, 02:41:05 »

The following is sourced from Here and is credited to 'Sepsis'.

Lizardfolk

Racial Traits

Average Height: 6’2”–7’2”
Average Weight: 220–300 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Speed: 6 squares

Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance
Reptillian: Your race is reptillian and is cold-blooded. You have the reptile keyword, so you are considered a reptile for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Enduring Breath:    You can hold your breath for 10 rounds (rather than 5 rounds) before you need to make endurance checks. Additionally, you don't need to make endurance checks to hold your breath in strenuous situations.
Swamp Walking:    You ignore difficult terrain caused by bog, mud, or shallow water.
Saurian Nature: While partially civilized you still feel the call of your wild animal blood. At the time of character creation choose either the Nature or Stealth skills. You recieve a +2 racial bonus to your chosen skill.
Sidestep Attack: You may use the Sidestep Attack power.

Sidestep Attack    Lizardfolk Racial Power
Your snake-like speed allows you a sudden move while striking.
Encounter
Move Action    Melee or Ranged Weapon
Effect: You shift one square before or after making a Basic Melee or Basic Ranged attack.

(At the current time, I see no other user-races from this site that I'm okay with, as such, but the source page for this particular creature race DOES link to several user created feats. If anyone is seriously interested in playing a lizard, and likes what they look do, I will give them a second look, but not before.)
Psychotic

« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2009, 02:56:26 »

The following is my own homebrewed race, or more correctly, subrace. It is currently to be considered 'under construction'.

Dragonwrought Kobold

Racial Traits

Average Height: 3'6" - 4'0"
Average Weight: 60 - 75

Ability scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 6 squares.

Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealth, +2 Thievery.
Wings: You gain a +5 racial bonus to jump checks, and may 'glide' as detailed below.
Trap Sense: You gain a +2 bonus to defenses against traps.

Glide
You lock your wings to stop yourself from falling, though it is far from true flight.
At-Will
Move Action    Personal
Requirement: Must not be wearing heavy armour, or carrying a heavy load.
Effect: You may take a move action to move  as if possessing fly speed of 4 (Clumsy) with an altitude limit equal to your altitude at the start of the action. The effect lasts until the start of your next turn.
Special: You may use this power any number of times in an encounter, but may only use it up to your constitution-modifier number of rounds in a row.

Racial Feats

Practiced Flier

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: 6th level, Dragonwrought Kobold
Benefit: You gain a fly (clumsy) speed equal to your speed.

Aerial Mastery

Paragon Tier
Prerequisite: 11th level, Dragonwrought Kobold, Practiced Flier.
Benefit: You gain a fly speed equal to your speed.

The Dragonwrought Kobold is possibly, if anything, slightly weak as a race. It can, however, get a proper, unqualified fly speed at the earliest level possible in the game that I know of, however. It does cost 2 entire feats though, and they lose Shifty, which is, in combat, a much better ability. Overall, I'm still unsure, but am happy for it to be included in the Play-by-Post campaign, should anyone be interested.
morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2009, 00:22:08 »

Question: Do they start off Dragonwrought or can any kobold become one? I was now thinking of Ziss....but considering how soon after the events of KotSF you mentioned THIS was set, Ziss doesnt seem like a possibility.

Still, I like the Dragonwrought kobold, nice race Wink

Reach for the stars, and if you only get to the moon, thats a hell of an achievement anyway.
morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2009, 03:51:31 »

Ok, for now, I'm not sure where else to post this, so here it goes.

I've been trawling the net for inspiration for my character for the pen and paper version coming up sometime soon, and I've found a few homebrew type things I want to put up for consideration. I merely want you to give them a look over and tell me if they're possible or not.

Firstly, these feats from http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/234629-monster-racial-feats.html

Master of Disguise [Doppelganger]
Prerequisite: Doppelganger, change shape racial trait
Benefit: Once per day, while using your change shape power, you may instead assume the form of a Small or Large humanoid.

Mind Reader [Doppelganger]
Prerequisite: Doppelganger
Benefit: You can use surface thoughts as an encounter power.

Surface Thoughts Doppelganger Racial Power
You peer into another’s mind, hearing their current thoughts and using the knowledge for your own gain.
Encounter * Psychic
Minor Action Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Effect: You hear your target’s current thoughts and feelings, granting you a +2 bonus in all opposed rolls against it for the rest of the encounter.

Just something interesting from here: http://www.planewalker.com/forum/can-doppelgangerschangelings-switch-their-gender-and-if-so-are-they-um-fully-functional

'As far as I know, there's no details on this for any edition in 'general' D&D. However, as Changelings ("Lesser Doppelgangers", when all's said and done) are a part of Eberron, the old "Races of Eberron" sourcebook went into that sort of detail. To sum it up, Changelings (and presumably Doppelgangers, as they're one and the same now in 4e) begin life sexually neuter, neither male nor female. Early into childhood -roughly around 4 or 5, I think- they become either male or female: this is their "true" gender, the gender they will assume when they return to default form (the genderless form adopted by Reality Seekers is a deliberate, artificial form of their own creation). Once they attain puberty, they gain the power to assume the opposite sex.As this is a physical transformation, Changelings are perfectly functional in either gender. So, yes, a female Changeling could get another woman pregnant by assuming a male gender, and a male Changeling in female form could become pregnant. Conceiving a child "locks" a Changeling, though I don't recall if it's only into that specific form or if it merely locks them into being female until they give birth. I don't know how far along the conception needs to be to lock them, either.If you're interested, Changelings can't crossbreed; there's a flat 50/50 chance the child will either be a new Changeling or a member of the non-Changeling parent's race. There's a feat that actually lets the Changeling choose what race its children becomes, though I think it might only apply to children that the Changeling actually carries.'

Excerpt from Races of Eberron, the 3.5 manual. I know it's not as relevant rules wise, but it's pretty much all there is for information on Changelings beyond the Eberron PHB.

'GENDER AND SEXUALITY
An important aspect of a changeling’s identity is the issue of gender. Unlike doppelgangers, which are
entirely genderless, a changeling does have a default gender that manifests in adolescence, but each changeling
can adapt his or her form to be of either gender, hermaphroditic (both genders simultaneously), or entirely genderless.
A changeling can alter his or her gender (and reproductive abilities) as part of using the race’s minor shapechange ability.

Changeling Reproduction
Two changeling parents breed a changeling child. A changeling and a humanoid can mate to produce an
offspring with the child having a 50% chance to be of either race. If a changeling with the Racial Emulation
feat (see page 110) matches its subtype to that of a partner, a child resulting from the union will always
be of that humanoid subtype. If a changeling in a female form conceives a child, she loses the ability to change her gender until after the child is born.

LEISURE
“You can be poor and miserable or rich and miserable.
Only a fool would think that there isn’t a choice in that
statement. The wealthy can afford to be comforted in
their misery.”
—Changeling adage

Almost all changelings would prefer to live a life of ease. They work just as hard as they need to in order
to ensure fine comforts they crave. Changelings enjoy fine food, drink, clothing, equipment, and
accommodations. Why make do with just the necessities when you can have luxury? When possible,
changelings live in the finest style available, often gaining things on credit (their own or that of an assumed identity)

Collections: Most changelings manifest their individual passions and proclivities in collections of items. Some like quantity; others go
to great lengths to acquire specimens of the best quality. Almost every changeling has something that he prizes and for which he is willing to make sacrifices. For example, Fel collects shoes and keeps a sizable collection on display, decorating his two-story home. He owns more than two hundred fifty pairs. While he prefers a male form most of the time, he will change his gender for the sole purpose of showing off some of the daintier and more feminine shoes in his collection to the best advantage.
Roleplaying Application: Pick something to collect. It could be a single feather from many different types of birds (leading you to seek out achaierai and rocs), jewelry (driving you to find long-lost heirlooms), or books (inspiring you to build a huge stronghold just to store your impressive library).
Experiential Indulgences: In addition to possessing the finest things, changelings enjoy supremely extravagant activities. Hot, herb strewn baths, relaxing massages, stylish haircuts, manicures, pedicures, servants, and any other life-enhancing services are sought and enjoyed. Changeling adventurers would rather not camp “in the rough.”
Roleplaying Application: Why camp in the woods if an inn is an option? Why eat trail rations if a restaurant is nearby? Indulge yourself as often as you can. Life is short; fill it with good things.

(I'm posting some racial feats and other things as well. They are 3.5, but it's just for inspiration)

PERSONA IMMERSION [RACIAL]
Your assumption of another’s physical identity grants
you defenses against mental intrusion.
Prerequisite: Changeling.
Benefit: While under the effect of your minor
change shape ability, if you make a successful save
against a divination spell or telepathic psionic power
of 3rd level or lower, you can generate a misleading
result. Though you don’t learn the precise spell or
power being used against you, you know what type of
information is sought and can respond accordingly.
For example, a character with this feat who successfully
saves against detect thoughts knows that his surface
thoughts are being probed, and can thus supply any
specifi c thoughts that he wishes to be detected by
the caster.

QUICK CHANGE [RACIAL]
You can quickly alter your features and
physiology.
Prerequisite: Changeling.
Benefi t: You can use your minor
change shape ability as a move
action.
Normal: Using the minor
change shape ability is a fullround
action.

(This could be changed so that change shape goes from a minor to a free action?)

CABINET TRICKSTER

“I am me. I am you. I am him. I am her. I am form
and function.”
—Per, informer for the Cabinet of Faces

Moving unnoticed among the humanoid races, the changeling and doppelganger members of the Cabinet of Faces pursue an agenda known only to themselves. Spies, assassins, and other agents serving the cabinet work in every level of society, from back alleys to
government palaces. Cabinet tricksters are the changeling agents of this mysterious cabal. As he learns increasingly to master
the alteration of his form, the cabinet trickster eventually gains the full mutability and mindreading powers of his doppelganger ancestry. Equally important, he learns to use his mental abilities to hamper his enemies, facilitating quick escapes or deadly attacks.

BECOMING A CABINET TRICKSTER

Cabinet tricksters approach the class from many different backgrounds. More of a detour dedicated to the learning of new skills than a career path in itself, the cabinet trickster class offers distinct advantages to rogue infiltrators, bard spies, and assassins alike. The high Disguise prerequisite means that almost all cabinet tricksters have levels in rogue, bard, or shaper (psion) before entering the class. However, characters with changeling egoist or changeling wizard substitution levels can also qualify, and some changelings adopt this class after long careers as monk/assassins.

Table 7–2: The Cabinet Trickster Hit Die: d6
         Base
        Attack Fort  Ref    Will
Level Bonus Save Save Save Special
1st    +0     +0     +2    +2    Detect thoughts 2/day, doppelganger insights
2nd    +1     +0     +3    +3   Thought trick (daze), bonus feat
3rd    +2     +1     +3     +3   Detect thoughts 4/day, thought trick (disrupt)
4th    +3     +1     +4     +4   Thought trick (confuse), bonus feat
5th    +3     +1     +4     +4   Change shape, detect thoughts at will, thought trick (stun)

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate,
Knowledge (local), Listen, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, and Spot.

CLASS FEATURES
As a cabinet trickster, you focus your abilities on reading and manipulating the minds of others, gaining the ability to detect thoughts immediately, then improving that ability while learning thought tricks at each additional level. Upon attaining 5th level in the class, your advanced mental and change shape abilities make you hard to distinguish from a true doppelganger.

Detect Thoughts (Su): At 1st level, you gain the ability to read the minds of others. Twice per day, you can use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level equal to your character level; save DC 10 + your class level  + your Cha modifier). If you can read an opponent’s mind, you get a +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.
At 3rd level, you can use this ability four times per
day. At 5th level, you can use this ability at will.

Doppelganger Insights (Ex): At 1st level, your racial bonuses on Bluff, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks increase by +2 (to a total of +4). Thought Trick (Su): You not only know how to read minds, but can also tweak a person’s thoughts. As a standard action, you can replace one of your daily uses of your detect thoughts ability with a thought trick performed against any creature. Alternatively, if you have already used your detect thoughts ability against a specific creature and that creature has failed its Will save (so that you are currently reading its thoughts), you can use a thought trick as a swift action or an immediate action (depending on the specific trick). When you use a thought trick against a creature whose thoughts you are reading, it does not count as one of your daily uses of detect thoughts. A thought trick works only against a creature with Hit Dice equal to or lower  than your character level. Most thought tricks allow Will saves to negate the effect (DC 10 + your cabinet trickster level + your Cha modifier), and the disrupt thought trick allows a Concentration check against the same DC. All thought tricks are mind-affecting compulsion effects.

Daze: Beginning at 2nd level, you can use a thought trick to daze a target creature. If you are reading the target’s thoughts, you can use this trick as a swift action. A successful Will save negates this effect. Disrupt: Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a thought trick to distract a target creature from casting a spell, using a spell-like ability, or performing any other activity that might require a Concentration check (see the Concentration skill description, page 69 of the Player’s Handbook). Normally, you use the ready action to disrupt a target when it begins the activity you wish to disrupt, but if you are reading the target’s thoughts, you can use this trick as an immediate action instead. Confuse: Beginning at 4th level, you can use a thought trick to confuse a target creature. If you are reading the target’s thoughts, you can use this trick as a swift action. On a failed Will save, the creature becomes confused for 1 round.

Stun: Beginning at 5th level, you can use a thought
trick to stun a target creature. If you are reading the
target’s thoughts, you can use this trick as a swift
action. If the creature fails its Will save, it is stunned
for 1 round.
Bonus Feat: At 2nd level and again at 4th level,
you gain a bonus feat that must be selected from the
following list: Deceitful, Disturbing Visage†, Master
Linguist†, Mutable Body†, Negotiator, Persuasive,
Quick Change†, Racial Emulation†, Recognize
Imposter*. You must meet all the prerequisites for
that feat.
† New feats described in Chapter 6.
* Feat described in Chapter 3 of the EBERRON Campaign
Setting.

Change Shape (Su): At 5th level, you gain the ability to assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid, gaining the size, natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of your new form and losing any such abilities granted by your native form. You can remain in this humanoid form until you choose to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but you revert to your natural form if you are killed. A true seeing spell or similar ability reveals your natural form. See
page 306 of the Monster Manual for more information on the change shape ability. Using this ability is a standard action. If you have the Quick Change feat (see page 110), you can change shape as a move action.

(You can probably guess that I'm most interested in the last ability above. =P )

While the 3.5 feats and prestige class are not all that relevant, they may prove useful in the ideas department. The Races of Eberron manual seems to have a lot of good information on roleplaying a changeling at the very least, and while I wish there was a 4th ed version around which provided more info on the race, expanded racial feats and paragon paths, there isnt as of yet, so I make do with the information from the previous edition. All I really want is a paragon path that allows me to focus on changing form, not copying other players abilities. Smiley

The key things I'd like to focus on are:
Sizes, small and large respectively.
Movement modes e.g. speed, climbing and flight.

Anyway, much to think over and look through. I've had a look at the paragon paths available, and nothing except the Scion of Arkhosia comes close to the movement modes.

Let me know what you think Cheesy

Reach for the stars, and if you only get to the moon, thats a hell of an achievement anyway.
Psychotic

« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2009, 17:07:25 »

Could have sworn I replied here last night. Oh well.
Dragonwrought Kobolds have always been 'born that way', since their creation in Races of the Dragon. Back in 3.5, that meant that mostly they gained the 'Dragon' Type and lost their old ones. They could take a feat that would allow them to grow basic, semi-functional wings a bit later, or right then if they took a Flaw or so.

For my purposes, I've equated the Dragonwrought with the Wings, somewhat.

I have been considering giving them a racial feat, probably a power-swap one that gives them a use of a dragonborn style Dragon-Breath, but we'll have to see about that.

Will respond properly to the Changeling stuff when I've had chance to read through it properly. Tongue

[edit] So, thoughts on the above. Firstly the Enworld homebrew feats; They look innocuous enough, but to be honest, I do see problems with them. Mainly, you're not getting the old Doppleganger stuff of 'reading surface thoughts', and I see that particular power as being rather too useful out of combat, (I have reservations in combat, also, but beside the point.) As for the Size-change one, well.
It's just not helpfully written or fully thought out enough.

It gives no mention of duration, but potentially opens up (especially for more martial changeling builds) some hideously abusive tricks, Simply put, the changeling barbarian shapeshifts into an ogre in the morning, picks up his two-handed weapon of choice, which simply resizes to fit, and he's now doing broken damage.  
It also, having no prerequisites, feels rather a lot like it'd be coming far too early. Thematically it fits much better with the paragon tier.

Worth noting, the last feat in the 3.5 prestige class you posted doesn't give you the ability to change into a large creature either. Given that being small, in and of itself, does not give any bonuses, I'd be quite happy for the Enworld feat if it was only allowing small size, because it does open up disguising yourself as a larger range of peoples, but does not have any of the 'tricky' issues that opening up large-size has.

As you have noticed, it's not easy to get additional movement modes. It certainly doesn't happen before paragon tier except via certain utility powers.

A Paragon Path that allowed the use of a range of movement modes would/will be tricky. If it includes the possibility of Large sized forms as well, it's not likely to get overly much else. Of course, if we are dropping the 'animal forms' componant, that'd be a slightly mitigating factor, simply because it removes a couple of movement modes afaik. (Can't recal any burrowing humanoids, for example!)
If and when I do scratch something together, I'd like it to have future use as well, so It's not likely to be 100% tailored for your character.

So, as we stand, I'm willing to consider brewing up a changeling specific PP that focuses on expanding their control of their own form.

[note - Remember, whatever else, Magic items change size to match their user, but non-magical items do not. Wink]

[edit2] OH, the gender changing stuff still fits, to the best of my knowledge, and should be considered more-or-less canon.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2009, 18:48:58 by Snakes in the Tiki Lounge » Logged
morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2009, 19:00:40 »

Ah, ok, I can live with that quite happily. I only posted the 3.5 stuff as relevant information, since it's offcial wotc material, even if it IS from another edition. To be honest the thought stuff isn't at all interesting to me, so that can be done away with completely with no complaints or reservations.

To clarify, as I mentioned last night, I don't want the animal changing anymore. I'm quite happy now with simply expanding upon more basic and 'natural' changeling shapechanging ability. I don't mind is the size changing thing comes from a paragon path, or if it's a feat that could only be taken after 10th level or something. Limit it to small, but can it be an encounter power rather than a daily? Sustain as a minor action. Something that would allow me to use it out of combat, for a duration that lasts until I stop sustaining? Roleplaying purposes are always my first worry Smiley

So, recap

Expanding size changing capability to include small
Expanding movement mode mimicking ability. Such as flight and running speeds

I'm happy with that generally. My character concept has been toned down somewhat, so that I'm not copying my other characters. I'm also remembering how useful being able to change any aspect of your humanoid form really is.

So all the Changeling 'fluff' info is still cannon, until 4th ed says otherwise?

Psychotic

« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2009, 19:05:52 »

Any changeling fluff that I specifically say is still canon, is canon. Wink
As it happens, the Racial write-up does mention gender changing, and the above is a reasonable extrapolation.

Though, frankly, the idea of wasting a feat on the ability to choose what race your baby is? Lulz!

I will muse on the rest, and post either a feat or two, or a paragon path, at some point before the campaign starts.
morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2009, 19:18:44 »

Okie dokie. I await with eagerness. All I really want to know is how many normal feats I should take, and how many out of my 7 I need to reserve =P

Psychotic

« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2009, 17:58:44 »

Racial Traits

Average Height: 5'6" - 6'2"
Average Weight: 135 - 220

Ability scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Speed: 6 squares.
Vision: Low-Light

Languages:
Common,
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Athletics

Deceptive Veil -
(At Will, Minor) Illusion
The Rakshasa can appear as any Medium Humanoid. A Successful Insight Check (Opposed by the Rakshasa's Bluff Check) pierces the disguise.

Claws -
They may treat their claws as an offhand weapon that deals 1d6 damage. A Rakshasa is proficient with his own claws, (Gaining a +2 proficiency bonus on attacks with the weapon keyword). A Rakshasa's claw is a weapon in the Unarmed weapon group and can be enchanted like a monk's unarmed strike. You must have a hand free to make a Claw attack.

(Racial Feats follow.)

Feat - Rakshasa Claw Fighter
Your Claws count as light blades in each hand. Additionally the damage dice on attacks made with your claws increase from 1d6 to 1d8

So, I understand Tombwalker has settled on Shadar-Kai, so this homebrew Rakshasa race is merely joining the Ok list for my Wandering Fortress Play-by-Post for now, and for record. Smiley
« Last Edit: 16 October 2009, 18:06:44 by Snakes in the Tiki Lounge » Logged
morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2009, 18:47:27 »

Still waiting with baited breath for the extras you promised! *glee*

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: