Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
27 April 2024, 08:38:16 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
We going to get lynched aren`t we? - Phouchg
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC problem plz heyulp  (Read 5508 times)
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« on: 22 November 2009, 17:15:38 »

Tried to connect my xbox360 to my pc today for the 1st time since gettting it back from a repair shop. The local area connection screen at the bottom has a warning sign over it as apparently my pc wont assign an Ip address to my 360 console. This is the first time it has ever happened in all these years. It isnt my antivirus and windows isnt firewalling it. I havent changed anything but the repair shop put panda antivirus on there and may have done something. As far as i can tell ive allowed DHCP on my router etc etc. My wired connection just isnt being allowed. The internet has no solutions that work.

pleeze - heyulp.

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2009, 17:59:17 »

Have they changed the network seetings on the Xbox (ie changed it from DHCP to a fixed IP).
Disable the Panda Antivirus and see if that unblocks (it might have a firewall built in it but I'm not familiar with that software)
Does the xbox allow a right-click -> Repair option on the Local Area COnnection at the bottom. or check the Status option if present this will give you some more details on what the current settings and issues are.

check the DHCP range in your router has it been set to only assign a small number of addresses and uf so are thay all in use?

If you can get to a command prompt on your xbox can you use the command "ping" to get a response from your router's ip address? eg. "ping 192.168.1.1"  replace 192.168.1.1 with your router IP address.

also try ping 127.0.0.1 which wll test the loopback on your xbox network card to see if the network card and IP Stack are working.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2009, 20:14:13 »

What a way to spend sunday!  Roll Eyes

First of all, thanks for the help so far Zarni.  Cool

1. MY xbox/local area connection uses DHCP. The console is automatically asigned an IP address from the pc.
2. Panda was closed and the connection was retried/repaired - nothing different.
3. Right click repair on the xbox connection yielded the same result.
4. xbox/local area connection status = limited or no connectivity, speed = 100mbps, packets were sent to the home pc but none were received by the xbox/local area connection.
5. My pc router/modem does not show any DHCP options. The icon for it doesn't show the option and the webpage for the product on bt has a broken help guide that doesnt work. I downloaded the latest patch and nothing seems to be different, no new programs/diagnostics/help guides etc. Xbox live recommended typing the router ip address into a browser to access options but this didnt show anything at all.
6. i pinged my routers ip address and all info was sent and received. I did the same with my xbox connection with the same result.
7. i pinged 127.0.0.1 with all info sent and received.

Any of this any use or did i waste my time?

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2009, 20:43:27 »

ok try the following commands on your xbox:

open a command prompt type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /all

the latter will tell you what IP address and which DHCP server etc it is using so you can verify what information it is getting.

If the ping is getting replies and not time outs then something is working. just need to try and determine which bit of the circle is broken.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2009, 08:12:27 »

4. xbox/local area connection status = limited or no connectivity, speed = 100mbps, packets were sent to the home pc but none were received by the xbox/local area connection.

compare the IP address for the Xbox & the computer the above is commonly caused by two things on a net work having the same IP address & this does happen quite a lot . if it is the same you will need to change the one on the pc, I cant recall how to do this at the moment but ask Zarni or frog here . I will assume the Xbox being a tool of Ahriman will not let you do such things

otherwise I would try every thing Zarni suggests & if that fails smash the evil X device with sledge hammers burn the bits & Have some one exorcise the demons from the ashes.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2009, 13:51:05 »

actually my 360 allows me to input a static ip address that i assume i make up. Its just then i have to do something to my pc for it to recognise it or something. Will try both EvilGingers and Zarni's ideas tonite. Thanks again!  Wink

Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2009, 21:47:04 »

Oh im so angry! Apparently it's my panda antivirus firewall! You can close panda down and windows firewall kicks in asking to be activated. No change in status. Turn the windows firewall on with panda on however and panda tells you the two firewalls are conflicting and if you want to turn panda's firewall off. i say yes and then bingo! the connection's warning sign has gone! WTF?! Windows firewall still blocks my connection to the internet tho and i turn that off and my 360 now works.

it seems even closing panda down keeps something on, though windows thinks panda firewall is off as it asks to turn its own firewall on as im 'not protected'. ctrl-alt-del shows at least 3 panda av processes AFTER i've closed panda down and trying to end their processes is physically impossible as apparently they're vital to the computer or something.

Thanks both EvilGinger and Zarni for the help, but i'm just going to turn my firewalls off in their own unique way from now on.  Wink

Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2009, 23:02:11 »

Step one; Add or Remove Programs
Step two; Uninstall Panda Antivirus (If the uninstall fails, try this)
Step three; Install anything else

Additionally, this article http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm lists some of the better free firewalls, but for novice users, it actually reccomends simply using the built in windows firewall, rather than getting needlessly complicated.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2009, 23:11:18 by Snakes in the Tiki Lounge » Logged
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2009, 05:54:02 »

All sound advice I would also get C cleaner from Download.com and run it both the cleaner and the registry repair function until neither reports having done anything after running them. Do this after getting shot of Panda & it will remove any stubborn remains of said program.

As for antivirus programs try AVG free which should work after cleaning the registry as all record of it having been installed will be removed but give different details to register it than last time just in case. If that dosent work use Avast both are available from download.com

As for fire walls if you are using a router you have a Hardware fire wall & unless you are going to very dodgy sites on the internet that and windows fire wall should be adequate. Otherwise try Zone alarm but be aware that this and every other fire wall will be annoying whilst it learns what programs you want to allow access to the internet.

Evil Ginger

PS I will do pc repair and maintenance at mates rates as I suggest you never use the repairers who put panda on ever again

Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2009, 11:22:37 »

thanks guys, i would follow your advice if it was on my own pc, as it is, my parents wouldn't care so long as their computer continues to work.  Undecided

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2009, 07:43:13 »

Rant well at the risk of being accused of being more evil than usial, you could do something about that but it would involve paid employment, getting your own place & computer etc etc I understand the army is short staffed & they always want hospital porters and auxiliarys. Otherwise just be glad you have parents and every one else to spurge off of /Rant

EvilGinger

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: