Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 March 2024, 13:53:19 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I`ve gone off the idea of progress. It`s overrated. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wandering Fortress - Kat and the Mystery of Gadbury Downs  (Read 4916 times)
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Psychotic

« on: 19 November 2009, 03:20:55 »

Dawn broke in Westguard, much as it did on any other day. That is to say, with one small but very noticeable difference. For on the first day of Winter, the Sun failed to rise.

Needless to say, there was chaos in Westguard that day. The town guard in particular had their hands full trying to prevent a full-scale riot, and ended the day with their cells bursting. The sky remained black and sunless throughout the mid afternoon, only pierced by a cruel spattering of stars untill later that afternoon, when the moon rose and shed at least a little of it's pale light on the situation.

The days passed quickly, a semblance of order being stamped into the town through declarations of martial law. Each morning thereafter, the Sun failed to rise, leaving the cycle of days cruelly reversed.

The Temple of Erathis was, under the light of the moon, all but under seige at times during those frantic hours. There was word of sending a representitive to the grand Council of Faiths in the city of Lakath to the south and the east. There was currently, however, something of a split on the subject with the more conservative of the Temple's clergy claiming that no good could come of further dealings with the Wicked City.

Against this backdrop, Kat is called in for words with the head of her order, Meredith Straith.

A small woman in her later years, Meredith dresses simply, and is every inch a nun. Not many people are attentive enough to notice the old ladies tough frame, or the steely glint in her eyes that speaks of having killed for her God.
Meredith's office is, like her outward appearance, simple but functional. A single candle, burned nearly all the way down is all that lights the room, but it is small enough to suffice. The walls are bare stone, but there are several nicely upholstered chairs sitting infront of the sturdy oak desk that Meredith sits at.

The only thing on the desk is a small rolled up piece of parchment, flattened slightly by the heavy looking holy-symbol of Erathis that has been placed upon it.

She does not react as you are shown in, save that her steely grey eyes meet Kat's own.
Hard Rain
Unhinged

madder by parsecs

« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2009, 06:09:14 »

Kat has not being having a good day having spent most of what passed for a day since the sun failed to rise,  trying to support the temple guard dealing with the jittery locals. It might be quieter than on the first day the sun did not rise but the populace is if anything more jittery and Erathis being the deity it is especially in Westguard where people have come to expect every thing from the temple after all dident the temple hold things together when Nerath fell apart and maintain a good semblance of imperial life here and in the surrounding province.

The summons form Meredith Straith was in the light of this Kat thought to herself as she went to the Knight commander's office just sourer icing on an already bitter cake. Still she went even if she did so in a grim mood  The Knight Commander of the Sword of Order was not one to be denied.

As she entered Kat genuflected and greeted Meredith Straith with the ancient words Mistress of blades your blade stands before you and would know at what it is to strike Kat stands at attention and waits.

Q:- what do you do if a redhead is on the PULL!

A:- don't wear any thing she can grab hold of of course
Psychotic

« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2009, 00:55:39 »

"Now, Kat." Meredith winced. "I think we can skip the tired formalities this once, don't you?" She removed the heavy looking Symbol of Erathis and pushed the scroll across the table towards the Half-Elf.
"You are aware, of course, of the Elders refuse to agree on a course of action on this whole Lakath business? It's intolerable, but so very predictable."

She pauses, as if waiting for Kat to add something, but continues before really giving her the chance to do so.

"Frankly, I believe they are waisting their time either way, but they refuse to listen to my council on the matter. So I have a mission for you, little one. I believe I have been granted a vision by our Lady, however, I lack the gift of interpreting such things, and there is no such seer or oracle in all of Westguard. Not for a generation."

She pauses, looking tired. From a drawer in the desk she removes a small parcel and a sheaf of thin papers. Rolling the dried brown leaf-matter from the little leather pouch into the thin papers, she lights the cigarette using the rooms solitary candle, and relaxes visably as the smoke begins to gently fill the air.

"I knew a woman, though, once. She had the gift pretty strongly for the seeing of things and for interpreting dreams. She's likely dead by now, the mad old bat, but her daughter was my own age and I believe she may have received her mothers gift. You will find her out for me if you can, and convince her to return with you so that the Message our Lady Erathis has imparted to me can be properly interpreted."

She pauses again, looking Kat carefully in the eyes.
"If you have questions, now's the time my dear."
Hard Rain
Unhinged

madder by parsecs

« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2009, 09:46:33 »

Kat was concerned, the order of blades was bound by its rituals and its formalities and for The mistress to talk to her as if they where friends meeting to chat in the street, not that that happened much any more not since the sun failed to rise, bothered her deeply.

"Mistress of Blades I will take this mission from your hand as from the Gods, but I need to know the names of mother and daughter. I also need to know where it was that the mother dwelt as I believe it would be the best place to start my search"

Kat awaited The Mistresses reply forming and considering the questions that these answers would lead to.

Psychotic

« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2009, 01:35:52 »

"The Woman's name was Ellen Kedward. I do not know her daughters name, but she would be about your age. She dwelt a long way from here, to the east. When last I knew her, she lived alone with her young daughter on the wind-swept Gadbury Plains."

She paused, drawing on the cigarette.

"Time is short. There used to be a small monastery in the mountains that overlook Gadbury Plains. I know little of what calamity or heresy caused its abandonment, but that is not important. The monastery had at it's heart a wonder of sorts, a functioning Teleportation Circle. In quieter times, I would dearly love to find out why a quiet monastery in the back end of no-where warrented a permenant teleportation circle, but no matter. It will serve us well."

Meredith guestured with her free hand at the roll of parchment before Kat.

"Take the scroll. It will send you to the abandoned monastery, though you must make your way from there on your own. I cannot tell you what you may find out there, but I prey you find the old woman's daughter if she still lives. If there's anything you need from the town, or from our stores, you'd best be quick about it child. Now, if you have no further questions?"

There was silence for a moment, then Meredith quietly added "One last thing, Kat..." She pushed the heavy symbol across the table. "For my sake, take this with you."

[As and when you leave the office, make a perception check.]
Hard Rain
Unhinged

madder by parsecs

« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2009, 07:08:47 »

Kat looks grimly at the Mistress of Blades as she takes the scroll 

"I see, we have little to go on yet I discern from your look that a great deal depends on it"

Kat looks at the holly symbol and wonders reflexively touching the one she herself wears then she takes it and places it in her pouch with the scroll

"Meredith these are dire times forgive me if I cleave to the formalities in them for even the strongest fighter is best on familiar ground. I give you my word that I shall do this for both the God and for you as my friend and my liege"

Kat turns to go scanning the room as she does so

Rolled 1d20+8 : 17 + 8, total 25

" The God protect and defend you and all I leave behind"

Kat leaves to hurriedly prepare for a journey

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: