Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 March 2024, 14:33:44 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I wish i knew where my mice were. - Trillian
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefly: The Boardgame  (Read 13659 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 08 November 2013, 22:00:35 »

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand…

“After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds of new Earths were terra-formed and colonized. The central planets formed the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point. After the War, many of the Independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system, far from Alliance control. Out here, people struggled to get by with the most basic technologies; a ship would bring you work, a gun would help you keep it. A captain's goal was simple: find a crew, find a job, keep flying.” – Shepherd Derrial Book

Firefly, the popular Fox television series created by Joss Whedon, comes to life in a new boardgame from Gale Force Nine. Compelling characters, great storytelling and an evocative universe have made Firefly a fan favorite for over a decade. Now fans of the television show and board games can chart their own course with Firefly: The Game.

In Firefly: The Game, players captain their own Firefly-class transport ship, traveling the ‘Verse with a handpicked crew of fighters, mechanics and other travelers. As a captain desperate for work, players are compelled to take on any job – so long as it pays. Double-dealing employers, heavy-handed Alliance patrols and marauding Reavers are all in a day’s work for a ship’s captain at the edge of the ‘Verse.

SHINY!!

Needless to say I have already asked Phil at Spirit Games to reserve me a copy as soon as it comes in, but it looks good and they already have an expansion coming out in December (sold!)

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Bruce
Burton Delvers
Blissful Ignorance

« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2014, 10:17:47 »

So, have you played this yet? As you know I'm more of an RPG fan (I believe there is a new RPG out this year too) than a board gamer but being a huge Firefly fan I'm tempted by this.  How does it work (in laymans terms?)

Bruce
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2014, 17:57:03 »

He has I believe & more than once too so fess up Zarni

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2014, 19:26:06 »

Another expansion has been announced for Firefly: The Board Game called: "Pirates & Bounty Hunters"

Regards,
Zarniwoop

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2014, 19:31:44 »

Very interesting but we are dying to know how it plays

EvilGinger

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2014, 19:40:36 »

So, have you played this yet? As you know I'm more of an RPG fan (I believe there is a new RPG out this year too) than a board gamer but being a huge Firefly fan I'm tempted by this.  How does it work (in laymans terms?)

Bruce

Each player takes on the role as Captain of their own FireFly class ship, they each pick a Captain card with each one having their own abilities to assist your endeavours in the 'verse.
You pick a story card which outline the goals your Captain will need to achieve to win the game and what changes (if any) are made to the initial setup rules.

You each start with some job cards which can be legal/illegal and each one tells you where you need to start the Job, any pre-requisites needed etc. It also shows you what payment will be made upon successful completion. If you complete a Job you get a Solid rep with that contact which brings additional rewards and options you can utilise as you venture through the 'verse.

There are numerous actions you can choose between each turn but can only take 2, and they have to be different. Travelling the 'verse is dangerous so when you attempt this you can either mosey along slowly or take a Full Burn but doing this means you have to draw navigation cards (Alliance or Reaver depending on the sectors you are in) some are just "Keep Flying" others require skill checks or cause events or move the Alliance Cruiser or Reaver Ships .

All in all the Atmosphere and theme of the game suits the Firefly Universe very well, though one caveat to that is the first game is hard work as the rulebook is certainly not the best. Once you get a hang of how things work the game flows quite quickly and there are plenty of hard choices to be made along the way.

This needs a huge table, the board is quite big and there are a LOT of decks of cards each needing there own discard space. Really enjoyed my first taster game of this, despite the brain burning start of getting my head around the rules. Really looking forward to trying this again sometime and there seems to be a growing list of people who want to get in on a game so I had better get my head in the game for the next outing Wink

The new expansions seem to be adding more cards and options which look like they will improve the gameplay somewhat as well as adding some additional player interaction options.

Great Game, awesome components with fantastic artwork. All in all a well produced game that feels right and fitting for the setting.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Bruce
Burton Delvers
Blissful Ignorance

« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2014, 12:21:14 »

Thanks for the info, think I'll have to make a point of finding someone who has a copy.

Bruce
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2014, 13:12:33 »

We'll if you can make it up to spirit games next Sunday there will be gaming there all day till late. I can bring my copy and I'd be more than happy run a game there for some budding new captains in the 'verse.

Otherwise there is always wed nights at the shop as well, though this wed I have been requested to run an eldritch horror, which will probably take most of the evening Wink

I bought the firefly album to play as background music for my next game Smiley  not that I am obsessed or anything

Regards,
Zarniwoop

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2014, 17:56:30 »

no just a bit delusional but not obsessed at all Wink - book me in for a game next Sunday by the way.

EvilGinger

Bruce
Burton Delvers
Blissful Ignorance

« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2014, 18:36:36 »

Burton is usually a bit out of my way but there's a small chance I might make Sunday, I'll let you know!
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2014, 14:35:01 »

First Time in the Captain's Chair

Introductory card, recommended for New Players.

This introductory Story Card is found in current printings of Firefly: The Game. It'll help you learn the ropes without gettin' all discombobulated. The aim is pretty simple: you just need to get Solid with two Contacts by completing Jobs for them, Work enough Jobs to collect $6000, then be the first to travel to Ezra, in the Georgia system, and pay the $6000 to Niska.

(Click here to download a printable PDF)

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2014, 14:36:42 »

Niska's Holiday

Expert card, recommended for Experienced Players.  Not for the faint-hearted.

"Do you know what a reputation is? It's people talking - gossip. It's not... To hold, touch it - you can't. Not from gossip. Now, I also have reputation. Not so pleasant." - Adelai Niska.

This difficult Story Card is perfect for when you have mastered the flow of the game and are ready for an extra challenge. Most of Niska's Jobs are Illegal, Immoral or both, so you'll need a tough and unscrupulous crew behind you. A high fighting skill is a must, but you can't fight your way past every Misbehave card, so additional Skills and Gear certainly won't go amiss. Good luck!

(Click here to download a printable PDF)

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2014, 14:43:03 »

New Expansion announced but not much detail yet, it's to be called "Blue Sun: Rim Space Expansion Set"

It looks to adds new locations, contacts, so an additional board - Hope all our tables can take the extra space Smiley

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: