Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 14:58:53 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I can see this relationship is something we`re all going to have to work at. - Eddy, The Ships Computer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS Enceladus Deck Plans  (Read 7681 times)
Arnu
Unhinged

« on: 26 January 2010, 18:24:31 »

Here is the plan of the bridge based on the ideas drafted on Thursday night

Let me know if you wish me to make any changes
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2010, 14:00:13 »

Yes, can u make it bigger please? i have trouble reading it. Also what happened to the frog scribblings? They should be part of the design. i'd also like a big fishtank behind the captain so it looks like he's underwater when the camera focuses on him. all these ideas would be cool.

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2010, 17:19:39 »

Actually, for the pure inevitability of the choas caused, I think I'm going to second that. Floor-to-ceiling fishtank, with exotic alien fish.

It just feels right. And imagine how cool it'll look in the inevitable "Parts of the bridge are going sparkly/exploding, captain!" moments.

Dat - I believe the frog scribblings might have been interpreted? There is still a Rest-Room for example.
Arnu
Unhinged

« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2010, 02:16:35 »

Here is a larger version of the bridge.

No fish tanks on the ship (Captain's rule - What do you think destroyed his last ship)

I have edited Frogs scribblings and made them easier to understand

Yes there is a rest room and a crew ready room for breaks.

Also no silly steps on the bridge (to avoid tripping accidents)
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2010, 13:44:57 »

Bonza!

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2010, 07:28:42 »

So, I took it upon myself to scribe up a more aesthetically pleasing bridge-plan, (which also has moral, functionality and tactical improvements, although it does have raised and lowered areas, so watch your footing. Smiley )

If anyones interested, I can post a write up of the features, thinking behind the configuration/etc, and so on. In breif, however, darker = lower, the light blue shapes are chairs, the pale yellow swooshes are work panels and so on.

As a collection of vaguely meaningful shapes, however, what's the word?
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2010, 14:22:14 »

I'd have liked a view from another angle to figure out how the floor looks, but otherwise it seems better to have a more realistic image of the bridge to picture in my mind.

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2010, 05:36:43 »

I'll see about some kind of simple orthawhatsital projection of it, sometime before thursday maybe. No promises, (especially if andy doesn't like it anyway!)
Arnu
Unhinged

« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2010, 01:53:25 »

I am liking your Bridge design Mr Tiki  - your write up of features would be interesting.

I look forward to your Science labs (Engineering and Sick bay - he said hopefully)

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2010, 03:06:59 »

Okay, so, some features of the design as I remember them... (should have made more notes as the ideas were fresh!)

Firstly, all major crew members have a clear and direct view of the main screen. The four more senior positions are all aligned so as to also have the Captain in their field of vision when possible for moral purposes, as well as keeping as much of the crew as possible in the Captain's feild of vision so that he can easily oversee his team. This should combine to improve general command-crew-cohesion.

The layout of the main command-crew work stations also has tactical concerns, both in general engagements and theoretically during hostile boarding actions. The space of the bridge is broken up in such a way that there is almost always a surface or railing for crew on the bridge to steady themselves against, and the only ways onto the bridge are in full view of most of the crew.
The crew can move about the bridge relatively easily and without unduly bothering the captain, however they will usually be in view of him and anyone attempting to storm the bridge and threaten the captian directly would have to go through several members of crew to get at him.

The four cheif command staff and their work-stations are arrayed so that when necessary, they can all directly swivel to face the captain and in relatively close proximity directly discuss the situation without necessarily needing to retire to the captains ready room. Likewise, the engineering displays which are mainly for the cheif engineer whenever he isn't personally in engineering are directly and conveniently at hand to both tactical and science officers (those most likely to use them otherwise), and leaves the cheif engineer directly to hand for the captain, making the engineer's task of communicating any issues to the captain a simple one. Multi-use stations, which are most likely to see a variety of non-senior users and general, less critical use, are left in a more open enviroment, making the inevitably more frequent traffic much less invasive to general bridge business.

Note; The captains chair shares the highest level of the bridge, leaving him with not only the best view of the main-screen, but also slightly elevated. This leaves the captain in an appropriately commanding position, which not only affects crew moral but also gives an apropriate impression when communicating via viewscreen with, for example, potentially hostile vessels.

The more security and tactical roles of the bridge crew tend to be focused on the right hand side, with the more civilian and intallectual roles on the left. This gives each portion of the bridge a defined focus, allowing for more efficient placement of secondary systems and staff.

Finally, just to note, I would suggest that most likely the initial lobby areas of both the conference/captains ready room area and crew ready room/rest room area's are linked, though this isn't covered by the bridge plans themselves. Smiley  

Science labs and/or any other departmental designs...I will have to think about. Wink
« Last Edit: 04 February 2010, 03:10:37 by Snakes in the Tiki Lounge » Logged
Arnu
Unhinged

« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2010, 17:37:22 »

Very nice work Mr Tiki

You are a natural at starship design
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: