Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
19 April 2024, 04:25:10 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Now see here, buddy , you`re not dealing with any dumb two bit trigger pumping morons with low hair lines, little piggy eyes and no conversation, we`re a couple of intelligent caring guys who you`d probably quite like if you met us socially. - Bang Bang
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Themed to extinction  (Read 3000 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 28 July 2014, 09:41:12 »

Why do games companies feel they have to follow band-wagons, trends etc. rather than going with original ideas or sticking with their established lines. Just because something is flavour of the moment does not always equate to being a good theme for a game or applicable to every style of game.

My biggest bugbear of the moment is all these damn Zombie themed games, enough already. Even privateer press, whose Bodger universe I love, have now gone to the dark side and put zombies into that universe... WHY!!!!!!! leave it alone it was fine as it was.

I've not played the game and it may well be a perfectly good game but for me I am not a Zombie theme fan, I barely watch that genre of films either for the same reason that it has been far to overly done with the effect they all start to be the same.

There is a trend in games, films, video games etc, to just turn out product copying previous incarnations or using the latest fads rather than coming up with something original or innovative. Its a shame given the vast amount of imaginative and innovative people in the world that we are being fed the same thing over and over again with just a light veneer to make it seem new.

We have a vast untapped wealth of history, scientific discovery, Fictional universes, humour amongst others that could be used for films and games before re-hashing the same-old things repeatedly.

Just my thoughts.....

Coffee  Dont Know

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2014, 23:21:40 »

don't disagree but the example used is one that has a long history of being - done to death - pun intended. Its also annoying to have the theme of  the moment bolted on to a game which doesn't need it happened a lot with steam punk quite recently.

Got to love marketing people....  Cussing BangHead

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: