Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 16:16:45 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
DON`T PANIC
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combat in RQ fogoten Realms  (Read 7175 times)
EvilGinger
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« on: 19 July 2010, 17:51:20 »

I dont like the way that the combat system works after last Session & I am rewriting it to make it better & more fun. Suggestions appreciated.

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 15 August 2010, 05:37:10 by EvilGinger » Logged

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2010, 22:28:06 »

all told, the alternate way (or original way?) mentioned last session would probably be my choice of the two. All combat actions happening on your own round would admittedly make things potentially deadly, but it would speed things up nicely. With the ability to declare defences as needed, it seems fair enough, mostly. With how long it takes for a spell to fire off, and with how many rolls need to go the spellcasters way for anything to actually happen (once to fire it at all, once to manipulate, and then they need to fail their defence roll if they take it also), I feel that speeding things up that way would at least mean that I could take more actual actions.

It also makes it much less likely that someone could interrupt, invalidate or in some other way ruin the spell by doing stuff between the time I start and when I finish casting.
It'd also give Thorn back his amusing rapid-fire thing, and I can't help but feel that I would willingly gamble our safety on odds of Thorn going first and getting a big strike off.

(Note - I am referring to the variant where you take your turn as normal, and can take your combat actions during that turn as opposed to everyone acting simultainiously and the actions ticking off one by one.)
EvilGinger
Great Old One

« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2010, 20:37:55 »

Ok if no further comment I will go with the following

Every one acts in initiative order.

Melee every one gets one attack action & a number of combat responses equal to the current combat actions these can be move, parry, dodge,

Ranged  every one can have a number of combat actions equal to the current combat actions, missile weapons need to be reloaded bows take one action to lose and one to reload crossbows light, Two medium Four heavy Eight. Thrown weapons take one to reload if in hand (off hand) or two if scabbarded  or similar. If some one brings you into Mellee combat range before your turn then you can not shoot.

Spell casting works like ranged combat exempt that the number of casting actions  is based on Power for basic and Divine magic & Intelligence for Sorcery, you can use casting actions to cast spells, counter spell & dodge.  If some one brings you into Mellee combat range before your turn then you can not cast a spell.

EvilGinger
« Last Edit: 23 July 2010, 21:14:14 by EvilGinger » Logged

morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2010, 14:24:40 »

So let me see if I got this straight.

Bows take 2 combat actions to fire and reload effectively. So, with my 4 combat actions, I could only ever let loose 2 arrows a round, and thats if I don't leave any spare for dodging or whatnot. So, effectively, to be safe, I could only shoot once a round anyway, even with 4 combat actions?

Reach for the stars, and if you only get to the moon, thats a hell of an achievement anyway.
EvilGinger
Great Old One

« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2010, 12:02:09 »

if you want to do it that way yes

EvilGinger

morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2010, 14:33:32 »

So, explain to me how thats any better than the way we did it last week? 0_o

Reach for the stars, and if you only get to the moon, thats a hell of an achievement anyway.
EvilGinger
Great Old One

« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2010, 15:40:17 »

because I say it is and as GM I am always right

1 it reduces every one to one attack melle which makes things simpler
2 It separates spell casting & missile fire and clarifys what interrupts spell casting and missile fire
3 It reduces the DEX is the ultimate stat issue which Tiki raised.
4 I am considering extending the action table beyond 4 & there are feats you can buy with hero points which speed   things up further.
5 it is still being worked on

EvilGinger

« Last Edit: 25 July 2010, 15:42:21 by EvilGinger » Logged

morgalahan
Burton Delvers
Unhinged

Artist For Hire

« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2010, 16:07:33 »

Well I say it's not and as a player I am entitled to imput. It mostly just feels like you're nerfing my character.

I'm happy with the idea that it makes it easier to be a spellcaster, but you've already introduced using a stat other than dex for spellcasting rounds, why nerf dex otherwise? You're making the stats I naturally rolled for my character meaningless.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2010, 16:21:00 by morgalahan » Logged

EvilGinger
Great Old One

« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2010, 17:17:15 »

I have not Nerfed Dex I just did it the way it is done in the rule book the way I did it when Thorn ambushed those poor goblins was wrong as you always had to reload bows etc and that always took the equivalent of a combat action or missile weapons where given a rate of fire.

I am extending the combat action table

1-6          One combat action
7-12        Two Combat actions
13-18       Three combat actions
19-24       Four combat actions
25-30       Five combat actions etc

Goes off muttering about online gamers and their fixation with Nerfing

EvilGinger

EvilGinger
Great Old One

« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2010, 17:53:54 »

After further consideration I have decided to make the following additional changes to the combat system.

1 more than one Hand to Hand attack  every one gets one attack in Hand to hand regardless, but those agile folks with lots of combat actions may use two off them to gain another which comes after every one else's first attack. Further attacks are possible for those with enough spare combat actions with each attack costing two additional combat actions.

2 Fighting defensibly costs 1 combat action to be able to dodge or parry with a shield any number of attacks which the character is aware of at half of the appropriate defence skill . This however imposes a flat penalty of -20 on any attacks they might make with missile or Hand to hand weapons.

I Hope this makes it more fun  Wink

EvilGinger

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: