Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 March 2024, 10:44:13 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Listen, you footwarriors, can you hold hard a bit with the firing? I`ve just got three impromptu weddings breaking out behind me. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Castle Ravenloft Board Game  (Read 1957 times) Average Rating: 0
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 25 January 2011, 01:35:27 »

First of all the component count is high in this game with a lot of cardboard and miniatures. The miniatures are fantastic quality, the Blazing Skeletons will look better painted though, the cards would have benefited with some artwork but otherwise the pieces work very well.

This is essentially a boardgame with Dungeons & Dragons 4e v-light rules, but this is a bonus. The game is quite quick to pick up and teach providing a lot of replayability with the supplied scenarios. The game scales incredibly well between 1-5 players and leaves you wanting to play it again and again.

There is a choice of characters to play, with each character having a set of skill cards to choose from at the start, as play progresses it is possible to level up your character gaining new skills. This is a cooperative game, with the characters on an adventure with a specific goal to achieve. The heroes lose if one of their number has 0 Hit points when it comes back round to their turn and there is no healing left.

The combat is streamlined and great fun with randon encounters provided by cards that can produce all sorts of nasty events or very occasional something partially helpful. As the heroes defeat monsters they accumulate xp (shown on the monster cards) which can be used to level up (costing 5 XP, if you roll a Natural 20 in combat) or buy your way out of an encounter.

The dungeons consists of laying out random dungeon tiles as you explore, each one producing a new monster to defeat.

I found this game a lot of fun, everyone I have played it with has enjoyed it and with plenty of homegrown additions posted on boardgamegeek there is a lot going on for this game.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: