Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 12:58:42 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I don`t know, apathetic bloody planet, I`ve no sympathy at all. - Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D movies.  (Read 6718 times)
CrazyFrog
Global Moderator
Psychotic

Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave

« on: 10 May 2011, 15:55:54 »

Mmmmm where to start, I’d wished I’d seen Avatar on 3D at the cinema as this and Tron are the only real 3D movies, all other 3D movies are 2D then faked into 3D.

I’ve only seen one 3D movie currently; Thor.  This doesn’t make for a good judgement of all 3D movies, however based on what I thought and saw of the 3D technology I cannot see 2D to 3D movie quality getting any better.

The main problems.
Depth perception, many times it appears that characters are sitting on layers.

Most times the characters appear to be stuck onto the screen like old blue screen.

The focusing on characters faces can be off because its not allowing for the 3D effect, especially when a character is having to be brought forward and out of the screen to keep the main character on the screen and in focus.

Close up fast moving battle screen are awful as the 3D effect cannot keep up.

And finally I got a headache at the front which was a dull ache; I had problems with normal vision which lasted about 2 minutes after I left the cinema.

So is 3D worth an extra £2 per movie.  No because it really spoils the movie and detracts your attention from the story etc as you keep thinking that effects naff and I don’t like visual effect etc.

Insane Dealer of Arkham Insanity.
"You know you want a trip down to the asylum"
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2011, 16:07:28 »

I've seen Avatar 3d and to be quite honest whilst it's a lot more subtle an effect, it's also not that different over-all in that I don't believe it really adds anything.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2011, 16:28:38 »

If its any thing like the 3d experiments I have seen in the past I wont see a thing as my depth perception is crap. I have however for lack of a cute blonde to go with Wink or the money to pay for the ticket been to the moves in ages, so I missed the recent crop of 3d Films so cant pass judgement.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2011, 19:07:16 »

I tend to agree with the Crazyfrog, the 3D tax in the most part is not warranted by the content currently being delivered.

Sure it's recouping the Cinema's investment in the new Technology but the quality of the films being touted as 3d for the most part is pretty dire. Worst of all the still excellent 2D films are now relegated to the worst screens to make room for the inferior 3D versions. This leads to people like me making the decision not to see a 2D film at the cinema but rather to wait for Blu-Ray rental, which is cheaper and with my Home Cinema setup arguably better quality sound and viewing experience than the cinema.

As for Tiki's comments about Avatar, I have now seen this film at the Cinema twice in 3D (Orig and Special Edition) and on Blu-Ray at home.
I agree that the film is awesome in 2D and a lot of what made this an excellent film is all there, but there is so much more depth and immersion when watched in 3D. This is the only 3D film, in my opinion, that warrants all the Hype about 3D watching this in the cinema you felt like you were right there in the middle of the action, a feeling you do not get with the 2D version.

3D unfortunately is here to stay for a while, yes it's still a cinematic gimmick to get bums on seats, but with the next generation of TV sets all coming with 3D whether you want it or not it will slowly trickle out into people's homes. I would prefer the cinemas invested their money in better seating, better sound for ALL screens and cheaper ticket price but I fear that will never happen.

As things get tighter my cinema going is getting less as it is very costly, especially with the 3D tax, for 2 of us to go see a film. It is much cheaper to rent several Blu-Rays and enjoy films in the comfort of my own home, without the annoying audience chatter before and during films.

I hope the 3D age will end or at least get to the point where the filmmakers use the technology better and from the beginning and not just the cheap post-production gimmick it currently appears to be.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

HillaryBen
Blissful Ignorance

BoardgameGeek: HillaryBen

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2011, 08:18:25 »

I too watched Avatar 3D version. That gave me the feeling of literally.  3D creates a new layer of practicality to movies since it creates the illusion of depth.
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2011, 16:05:47 »

My point personally, is that although it creates the illusion of depth, that the illusion of depth even when done well really doesn't add much to the film. It's very impressive for the first 20 minutes or so, but by that point you are either immersed in the story due to the plot/acting/etc to the point where you no longer actually notice, or you are not immersed due to problems with the plot/acting/etc to the point where even noticing that there is some depth of field going on isn't really going to make any real difference.

It's not like it's going to actually convince us we're there.

For me, the Irony about classily handled 3d is that the lack of cynical stuff-comes-out-of-the-screen-at-you shocks just makes it more likely that you'll forget that what your seeing is in 3d.
CrazyFrog
Global Moderator
Psychotic

Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2011, 18:32:23 »

One of the main reasons I didn't what to go see 3D movie was because I thought it was let's throw objects out the screen at people.  Which for me I'm not very keen on, but Thor didn't have that so I was very happy with that part of the movie.

Insane Dealer of Arkham Insanity.
"You know you want a trip down to the asylum"
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2013, 09:47:29 »

Still to date there has really only been one film that justifies 3D  - Avatar.

For the rest it's a gimmick to justify higher cinema costs. If the cinemas want to get more people watching movies on their screens they need to bring the ticket price down or bring back the 'B' movie as an extra feature.  Even give space for amateur films to give them a wider audience.

Cinema will die if they keep upping the prices as people will just wait for the blu ray and use their hdtv at home. Let's face facts here home cinema is now more than adequate for over 80-90% of current Hollywood output.

I want the cinema to survive but I just wish they would drop this 3d obscession and just make better, more original films to watch rather than the current trend of rebooting everything.  They need to get back to taking risks as this is where the classics are born.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2013, 16:04:21 »

I'm sure I remember reading it somewhere before, but as I understand it 3d is a gimmick the film industry trots out everytime it thinks it's in trouble, basically. I just don't think it ever really adds much, and past the first twenty minutes when you're brain hasn't adapted yet, you just don't see it that differently anyway.

It would be interesting to know whether it was the Cinemas or the Studios that pushed for it.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2013, 17:23:36 »

there have been several runs at the 3d fashion I am a bit hazy on dates but there where cellophane glasses involved in the 50's, 60's late 70's - early 80's & one of the things the original IMAX system was supposed to do was 3d.

As far as I am concerned the entire cinema experience is so much more about the cuteness of the lass you go with than the film Shocked Evil Kiss

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2013, 13:10:26 »

If the cinemas want to get more people watching movies on their screens they need to bring the ticket price down
Train companies charge the earth, their prices are high and they're not gonna come down. Then they still have more than enough money left over to build pointless high speed lines and refurb a perfectly fine burton station. If a company can charge more and get away with it, it will. Which leads me to point 2;
Cinema will die if they keep upping the prices
I think the intrinsic way in which cinema is woven into western culture means it will die hard. People take dates and kids to the cinema and students go because they have discounts and a gap in their expensive timetable. I dont think prices will be continually upped any more than bus fares go up no more than 10p at a time either.
bring back the 'B' movie as an extra feature.  Even give space for amateur films
Diversification can help any business, wether this business has the nous to recognise this is another matter... Wink
just make better, more original films
&
They need to get back to taking risks as this is where the classics are born
I was reading an article the other day about Mario Bros: The Movie (bear with me!). The press opined kids would either lap up the rubbish or it would scare them with its 80s-max-headroom-dino-dystopia madness and no one would go. It turned out reception was luke warm, millions were made but the production budget was huge and it was considered a flop. What im saying is that audiences will watch any rubbish, risks are something studios like to make less and less these days since the 80s and 90s and as long is profit is made, studios don't care about film quality.

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2013, 01:07:48 »

Train companies charge the earth because they have a captive market, essentially. For the kind of people who need to use a train, they have no alternative. It's no surprise that people with cars rarely use the things. Cinemas on the other hand face meaningful competition with DVD's which are being released ever sooner as well as video on demand services like the all conquering netflicks.

Cinema in general is going no-where. Cinemas as they exist today however could very much collapse with less warning than you think. You'll notice most Cinemas belong to one or two major chains at most, are all over the place and are usually huge buildings. Simple matters of costs and taxes could, if they attempt to expand at the wrong time (which means taking on huge debts to be paid off in the future), the whole house of cards could fall down. The appetite for films would still exist, so you'd still get some holding on, maybe the healthier branches broken up and sold off to continue, but it's not impossible that Cinema multiplexes could go the way of the drive-in. Of course, that's a worst case scenario and it's all very unlikely. It's also not likely to be because they up the price further however. That'd probably do enough to get people to stay away, sure. I just don't think they're deluded enough to actually push for it.

Thing is, Mario Bros was absolutely terrible. Kids knew that perfectly well, back in the day. That's pretty directly why it flopped, because it needed to actually do well but instead it survived on the bare minimum income you could expect, pretty much trading entirely on it's name. See also Green Lantern, I guess.

The thing about the risk averse nature of movie studios is that this basically means reboots and sequels and always has done. It has increased as the budgets have increased, but past a certain point you have to bow to the pressures of the audience. Which is to say, it isn't enough for a film to be safe on paper.
As an example, High budget, cgi filled disney promoted summer action movie based on fondly remembered literary classics? How could that possibly fail!

It almost directly led to the resignation of a senior Disney executive and single-handedly plunged them from profit to loss.

Conversely, this film also came out that year.

It's also based on a book, one that was described as unfilmable I believe.
It scooped up numerous awards and vast truckloads of cash.

Simply put, the studios don't always directly care about film quality, but they do care about success. The thing is, a good quality film is more likely to bring in better profits, so many major studios may surprise you. They may not always understand what makes a good movie, and when it comes to some executives their efforts can lead to exactly the opposite, but that's beside the point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: