Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
19 April 2024, 10:58:53 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
I`ve gone off the idea of progress. It`s overrated. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game  (Read 2781 times) Average Rating: 0
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 09 June 2011, 11:12:16 »

I have played this game several times now, but so far only the competitive version of the game.
The components are of a high quality, nice plastic miniatures for the Players and ally pieces, high quality artwork and cardboard tokens all in keeping with the theme of this game.

There is a lot going on in this game and it is very easy to overlook a card or ability during your turn. Players represent an alien race trying to take over planet earth, from their landing site players move their pieces, turn over location cards and battle the resistance there. Each location has a number of resistance and Terror points score, players needing to conquest areas to a total score of 8 to win.
There are event cards players used to help your own plans or scupper other player's plans. There is also Space stuff which is equipment used to aid your invasion.  When you land on a location you strength is the number of alien craft you put in times the strength of your race, plus you and the resistance get a dice roll to add to your total. When you battle for a location you draw a resistance card this determines their strength, if a Hero is drawn you draw another resistance card and total the scores. It is possible to beat overwhelming odds by rolling a 6 which is a crushing victory but if the other side also roll a 6 then it is a tie and you lose an alien and have to either retreat or fight the same resistance for another round.

I enjoyed playing this game and it has a Mars Attacks kind of feel to it, but I did feel there was something missing and I wanted more.
Having spoken to someone else who has played the game, the co-operative version is more involved and adds extra elements. I will certainly play this again and hopefully try out the co-operative version.

For replay ability having different versions of the same game certainly provides plenty of options and is a very neat idea.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2011, 14:24:47 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

CardcoreGamer
Aware

BoardgameGeek: mattersmasher

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2012, 22:23:57 »

Much as I love 'Last Night On Earth' I really, really did not enjoy 'A Touch of Evil' and so I'm on the fence about this one. I felt similar about AToE as you did here - like either the game lacked something or that I was missing something about the game, but failed to see what. I think FF have a bad habit of saying a game is Competitive and Co-operative, where they seem to have a clear design bias to one mode over the other; AToE didn't work well as a co-op.

That said, I might give this a punt and there's an expansion due this year which might add the 'missing piece'.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2012, 11:23:32 »

The two modes are different games & you play either competitively or cooperatively so far I have only played the competitive version but I rather like it. I cant recall enough detail of the game I played of it but its one I want to play a few more times & try the other mode.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: