Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
16 April 2024, 08:36:06 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Look, would it save you all this bother if I just gave up and went mad now? - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 42  (Read 14974 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 05 April 2008, 00:56:42 »

This is a an area dedicated to one of my all time favourite stories. I grew up with Hitch Hikers and it has had a huge impact on my life. I enjoyed all the various versions of the story Radio, Book, TV, and Film.

I also used to belong to ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha  the official Appreciation society. Who are very worthwile checking out as they produce a very good newsletter, called Mostly Harmless, and organise various events which are always fun.

As you can guess from the title of the forum I am a little bit of a fan and my Amiga BBS, which I used to run back in the day, had the same name and was themed around Hikers as well.

Not sure what I'll do with this yet but felt it should exist. I expect it will meander and grow as people contribute so lets see.

All I ask is that we keep at least some tenuous link to Douglas or his works (any of them not just Hikers).

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2010, 02:34:01 by zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

CrazyFrog
Global Moderator
Psychotic

Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave

« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2009, 00:42:25 »

Beer

I found it.

I just have no idea what to post now  Huh?

Beer

Insane Dealer of Arkham Insanity.
"You know you want a trip down to the asylum"
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2009, 07:54:21 »

I dont know but we should keep the memory of the late lamented Douglas Adams alive as I too am of the generation who listened to the original two series on BBC radio four with the lights off and an ear peace  in because I was supposed to be asleep at 11am at night. I was narked at the 20 year cliff hanger which ended season two.   I read the books and was confused and some others though I think Adams was much better over the Radio than in print I don't like the dirk gently series but the radio version is almost as good as the Hitchikers one.

I also own on cd all the four/five series of Hitchhikers will have to dig it out and listen to it

Thanks for reminding me off all those happy memories.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
carldjcross
Staff
Unhinged

« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2009, 09:20:16 »

I have seen the TV show, listened to the radio and read the print versions but the version I spent most time with was this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game_nolan.shtml

Or at least the original Infocom version on my old ST (sorry zarniwoop, some of us had to have them!). I don't think I ever managed to get Ford to teleport me up to the Vogon ship though. Crickey it was hard.

Ekil erif, ekam erif. Erif, erif DiMaggio.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2009, 10:31:28 »

That reminds me I saw the TV show as well which like the books confused me more and left me even more frustrated when it stopped. I missed the film though because I like to take some one else to the cinema with me and no one else wanted to see it, Philistines.

Happy days

EvilGinger

Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2009, 18:33:26 »

I read the books when i was about 12, but only have Moistly Armless yellowing its pages on one of my shelves. I also saw the tv series and film (recentish), but they weren't as good as my original experience reading the books with great enthusiasm.

I considered joining ZZ9 at the time, but was scared at the idea of what might happen to me. Confused2 - I'll leave that to your imagination.

--Salut, et encore merci pour le poisson--

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
carldjcross
Staff
Unhinged

« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2009, 20:15:39 »

I missed the film though because I like to take some one else to the cinema with me and no one else wanted to see it...

I quite liked the film although it was nothing like the BBC adaptations. It had a kind of early 1970s cheap SF film feel to it (Google a look at the Vogons if you want an example, surely inspired by Mr. Teacher from The Wall) which was very retro chic in two thousand and whenever.

Ekil erif, ekam erif. Erif, erif DiMaggio.
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2010, 21:55:45 »

Well lets see I found some interesting links,

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy Wiki
A BBC Cult page about Hitch Hikers Guide
Another BBC site h2g2 which features entries by everyone, its a community Hitch Hikers Guide
The Official Douglas Adams Site
Not Forgetting the ever important Towel
There is also a site about the *Real* Hitch Hikers Guide which is taken around various Sci-Fi Conventions.
The Hitch Hikers Guide Project a Babylon 5 Encyclopaedia inspired site for Hitch Hikers Guide.

I'm sure there are loads more but it's a start....

« Last Edit: 27 February 2012, 16:06:30 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Slatie
Burton Delvers
Blissful Ignorance

« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2010, 09:47:00 »

As a teacher I've felt it was my duty to educate the next generation in the delights of HHGttG.  One, now X, student has only resently returned the books back to me.  (I have banded them from reading the fifth book) They have been converted!

I'm not sure what it means but they intend to read 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' before starting of Dirk Gently?  Which I thing are excellent (Dirk Gently books that is... I've not read 'To Kill A Mocking Bird).

I was very indifferent to the movie on first viewing but seeing it again resently, I enjoyed it.  It would have been pointless for them to make the movie the same as the TV..... Talking of which I hope you all saw the old Marvin in the que at the Vogon admin office.

Toast me a kipper I'll be home for Breakfast.
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2012, 16:13:15 »

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2012, 00:53:27 »

Well, after joining ZZ9 waaaaay back in 1992 (20 years ago!!!!) I have rejoined the ranks with my old Number to boot Wink

Got my new issue of Mostly Harmless and it feels like I old times, like I have never been away. Even looking at the conventions they take part in and thinking I may get back into the circuit, I really liked some of the old Sci-Fi conventions and others that the ZZ9'rs used to attend. Fond memories of funny speeches, humorous games and a very different take on a bible reading at one which you had to be there to understand...

Memories,  as I said at the start of this thread this Society has always been about social events and enjoying life, with several local groups meeting regularly. I certainly would be interested, if there is not already one, starting a regular ZZ9 meet here getting like minded people together just to chat about all the things we are passionate about.

If we get a group together, especially if some join the or are already members of ZZ9 we could organise a local Slouch where others members may come and pay us a little visit, getting to meet each other whilst showing them around points of interest like Spirit Games (of Course) as well as the many local pubs Wink

I really should have kept up my membership over the years, I used to go the London meet quite a few times when I lived there, but as we moved about it got forgotten about. Still I ramble and I am probably the only one excited about this but hey if I am not allowed to ramble on my own forum then where else am I going to get away with it.

**** transmission ends *****

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2012, 14:26:04 »

The Little Book of 42 (November 18, 2012)

Author: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Year: 2012
Notes: The Little Book of 42 was written for the Novacon 42 convention to celebrate the meaning of life, the universe and everything. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Novacon 42. 42 people writing 42 articles all about the number 42. Edited by Jim Mowatt and Carrie Mowatt

The Little Book of 42
(841.8 K) PDF
(844.6 K) EPUB
(1.0 M)    Kindle

Regards,
Zarniwoop

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2012, 16:23:28 »

That I shall have to read

EvilGinger

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2013, 10:48:18 »

Check out the Google Doodle Today (11/3/13) its very apt.

Well done google great job I love it....

Regards,
Zarniwoop

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2013, 19:42:35 »

It is rather cool

EvilGinger