Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
28 March 2024, 20:22:48 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
The suspense is killing me. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Agricola  (Read 2970 times) Average Rating: 4
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 05 April 2012, 13:59:38 »

There is a LOT to do in this game the idea is to build up your farm by adding rooms to your farm house, ploughing crops, managing livestock, upgrading your buildings.. etc etc etc.

The game is played over 14 rounds, each round you get as many actions as you have people ( you get more people by adding rooms and using a specific action in the game). At the start of the game there are certain actions you can take by placing one of you people on them, you also have cards in your hand which consist of occupations and advancements. You need to take a specific action in order to place these and they usually cost a certain amout of resources which are collected by taking other actions.

As each round progresses you get more actions you can take, for the first half of the game, after 3 rounds, you need to be able to feed your people (2 food each person) so you need to have this ready, if not you get a penalty which reduces your final score. Later in the game you only have 2 roounds before this happens making your choice of actions very important.

There is a lot to do and think about in this game.

I Liked the game, but on first play I did find it fairly complicated in as much as there was rather too much to think about and kept changing strategy through the game as people used the action card I needed.
I think I would possibly like it better 2nd time around knowing a bit more about what each card does and knowing where I went wrong the first time. It is a long game to play especially with the 5 people we had playing it so this is going to be one of those games you will devote a full evening to playing. Never the less it was enjoyable.

p.s I did play the german version of this so maybe this proper english translation will play faster as you will not have to keep asking whaty the special cards mean Smiley

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2012, 18:47:25 »

This is a Brilliant game & I would rate it as one of my all time favourites. It lives up to Phil's Quote about it being too much fun for a game about building a farm. As for playing time I have never known it run to less than an hour & some times nearer two depending on the players & there ability to deal with the player to the left preventing them from doing what they wanted to do by doing it first.

It plays well across the range of player numbers but its produces a different feeling game some times, however there are so many variables in the occupation cards and the strategies opened up by major and minor improvements which change form game to game that this perception may be due to that.

It now has a number of expansions which I have not played so I cant say what they do for the game

Farmers of the moor

more cards for the game of which there are several sets

not to mention wooden meeples & such

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: