Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
26 April 2024, 06:50:13 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Charming these Vogons. I wish I had a daughter so I could forbid her to marry one. - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Impressions: Fields of Green or “Amongst the Farms"  (Read 2663 times) Average Rating: 0
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 18 February 2017, 22:08:24 »

Full Disclaimer I have the kickstarted version with all the stretch goals included, though these will be available from the Artipia website. I applaud this as I dislike kickstarted games with exclusive content, especially when some of those exclusives leave the retail version crippled or less playable as a consequence. Thankfully no such worries here with this game

Components:
Cards: These are made of decent cardstock and the artwork is superb, though more space could have been given to the writing section for an easier read.

Cardboard:The equipment tokens, Card stack markers, turn marker etc. all of decent stock. The turn marker and first player token are very thematic. The artwork on the equipment tokens is also of good standard.

Wood:The wooden tokens are very nice but a little on the tiny side to pick up easily.

Gameplay:
I have played this several times now 2-player, as well as 3 players. The 2-player variant for the drafting part of the game works extremely well and is a brilliant twist on the usual format so well done there.

The game comes with some excellent play-aids in the box which help as a great reminder for players. There is also a guide giving suggested drafts for your first game, this is very useful for first time players.

There are and will be several reviews that will go into detail on how to play the game so I will not repeat that again here but just to mention at its heart this has a card drafting mechanic with various options on how you play those cards.

The idea is to build your farm maximising your chances to score points at the end of the game by creating an efficient engine utilising instant and ongoing abilities on cards. Getting this right is key to making your farm score better than your opponents. The drafting mechanism means having to make harsh choices knowing that some of the cards you pass on will aid your opponents. One key element is knowing when to start drawing the Building cards which comprise end game scoring. Whilst these provide a chance to work towards a scoring opportunity they are expensive to build so you may end up helping an opponent if you can’t build any you draw.

This is a slick game which provides some meaningful choices and requires a degree of planning coupled with keeping an eye on what the other players are building in their farms.
Conclusion:

This is a solid, well designed game which has plenty of replayability as no two games will be the same. The vast array of different cards make for some different and interesting combos each time you play meaning you have to adapt your plans as you play.

This has been a great addition to my collection and has earned it place with multiple plays since purchase with many more to come.
I would have no hesitation on recommending this game to anyone, despite the few niggly points mentioned.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2017, 22:11:57 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: