Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
20 April 2024, 11:38:46 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Mr Beeblebrox sir, you`re so weird you should be in pictures. - Receptionist at the Guide offices
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Dwarf - Back to Earth  (Read 3835 times)
carldjcross
Staff
Unhinged

« on: 14 April 2009, 22:38:36 »

So who watched it then?

Checking my reaction-o-meter for the 3 nights it went something like this:

First night: Oh, god they look old don't they? Sort of okay but why I wandered away from Red Dwarf to begin with. Too much SF and not enough comedy. And the lack of laughter track only served to point out how unfunny most of the jokes were.

Second night: Nah, nah, nah, nah, I'm not watching. Like a Red Nose day special. Worst. Thing. Ever.

End of third night: Actually, heavy handed Blade Runner references aside that was alright.

Every half hour episode seemed to end too quickly though and I think I'd like to sit down and watch the whole thing in a single sitting.

But it did make me want a new RD series though. Perhaps that was what it was for all along.

Ekil erif, ekam erif. Erif, erif DiMaggio.
Dat
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

Deranged Hermit

« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2009, 18:24:02 »

I loved ep's 2 & 3, but found 1 a bit...empty.
Every half hour episode seemed to end too quickly
- True, each one felt like 15mins
I'd like to sit down and watch the whole thing in a single sitting.
- My idea! I think it would have made ep 1 less, erm...empty. Also, it would have been as good as one of the old episodes that way.

'I don't NEED luck. I eat nuts.'
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2009, 23:11:41 »

Every half hour episode seemed to end too quickly though and I think I'd like to sit down and watch the whole thing in a single sitting.

But it did make me want a new RD series though. Perhaps that was what it was for all along.

Watched the whole thing finally, back to back...

Awful, really can't sugar coat it in any way, after all the anticipation and expectation it was just awful. I can make a bit of allowance for the fact they have not played these parts in a long while, I can forgive the fact that they had to cgi a lot of it and build new but the script was not RD. It was a poor episode at best but should not have been made a three parter.  One of the few funny moments was with Bob the Skutter.

The last episode with the blade runner references was ok but the fact it was tied into the whole we're the charaters come to life skit nahhh..

Sorry I think they should have left well alone, too little too late and someone should have manned up to tell the the writers to go back to the drawing board and re-watch the better RD episodes for inspiration.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

carldjcross
Staff
Unhinged

« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2009, 08:24:01 »

Sorry I think they should have left well alone, too little too late and someone should have manned up to tell the the writers to go back to the drawing board and re-watch the better RD episodes for inspiration.

I wandered away from RD after about the 3rd of 4th series and I guess there was some shark jumping involved in this latest special - I really can't take the whole Coronation Street thing seriously I'm afraid - but quite liked the riff on the Despair Squid. Would've made a good half hour episode with the middle section entirely rethought.

Ekil erif, ekam erif. Erif, erif DiMaggio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: