Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
29 March 2024, 11:06:04 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
There`s nothing out there Ford! Like, No ground! Some cat`s taken the ground away!. - Zaphod BeebleBrox
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Review - Hobbit  (Read 3515 times)
CrazyFrog
Global Moderator
Psychotic

Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave

« on: 13 May 2013, 18:07:18 »

Got to watch this on Blu-Ray yesterday,  there are quite a few changes e.g. I don’t remember any rock monsters in the misty mountains nor saw the point in the story telling.  I think Lord of the Rings fellowship was better as a starting movie.  However the most interesting point is on the special features disc.  The Hobbit was filmed in 3D and they show the technology and explain a lot of things about it.  This means it should be as good as Avatar on the big screen.  I’m definitely going to see the next film in December.   

Did anyone see the Hobbit and Avatar in 3D it would be nice to know how they compare on the 3D effects.

Insane Dealer of Arkham Insanity.
"You know you want a trip down to the asylum"
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2013, 18:54:07 »

Got to watch this on Blu-Ray yesterday,  there are quite a few changes e.g. I don’t remember any rock monsters in the misty mountains nor saw the point in the story telling.  I think Lord of the Rings fellowship was better as a starting movie.  However the most interesting point is on the special features disc.  The Hobbit was filmed in 3D and they show the technology and explain a lot of things about it.  This means it should be as good as Avatar on the big screen.  I’m definitely going to see the next film in December.   

Did anyone see the Hobbit and Avatar in 3D it would be nice to know how they compare on the 3D effects.

Whilst, mostly, the 3D was used for depth rather than pointy at screen, it was nowhere near the same level of immersion as Avatar which for me remains THE film to showcase how 3D films should be made.
Going back to the Hobbit, I believe they extended the story through using the Appendices and The Silmarillion. Though it has been a long time since I read the Hobbit so could not even begin to say if anything in the first film is extra or changed from that tome.

I really enjoyed this film, I was not phased by the singing dwarves as some of my work colleagues were as that was the style of the stories he told. I loved Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown, a genius bit of casting, the only thing that spoilt the film for me was the POOR CGI on done on the sledge chase scene. What were they thinking spend some more money on the CGI or do some proper stunt work it looked like CGI and spoilt the audience ability to suspend disbelief. I can only hope the budget improves for the other 2 films to not let this happen again.

Good film and looking forward to the other 2 and then watching the inevitable extended versions on Blu-ray

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

CrazyFrog
Global Moderator
Psychotic

Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2013, 21:14:56 »

I'd agree with the CGI for the sledge chase was terrible, there is a lot of fill in from the appendix which helps the audience as I've not bothered to read them it helps.

I read the Hobbit 2 years ago when the films where announced, and I thought Smaug was not aware of the Dwarfs return.

Insane Dealer of Arkham Insanity.
"You know you want a trip down to the asylum"
Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2013, 21:59:14 »

I have vague memories of the rock monsters in the misty mountains from the book, actually. I don't think they are dealt with in any depth though.

An Ok movie. A great example of what happens when a Director is particularly successful, as overall I think it was more than a little needlessly bloated by non-hobbit material purely to stretch it into a trilogy. As for Radagast the Brown, I mostly just wanted to take a damp tissue to the side of his head. Ick.
EvilGinger
Burton Delvers
Great Old One

BoardgameGeek: Evilginger

I speak only of the Evilerginger who is coming

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2013, 06:03:08 »

There are I think references to storm giants in the misty mountains hurling rocks to cause avalanches but in passing as part of the description of the massive storm which causes the party to take shelter in the cave which turns out to be the goblin front door.

Smaug was not aware of any of this until he was woken up by a certain Hobbit as I recall.

EvilGinger

seek solace in the doom of empires and the death of great kings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: