Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
23 April 2024, 16:27:44 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
We going to get lynched aren`t we? - Phouchg
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gormenghast  (Read 3055 times) Average Rating: 0
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 19 March 2014, 15:01:25 »

I punched and then played a quick taster game on the same night I bought it, as it was our regular gaming night at Spirit Games.

I was surprised at the reasonable price given the quality of the components is quite excellent, pretty thick cardboard stock, the cards feel well made and sturdy.

The artwork throughput the game is well done and suited to the overall theme. I Like the way they have integrated aspects of the book onto the cards and the Rituals book. Both of which has plenty of flavour text incorporating the game action into the story.

The game itself, whilst not complicated, was quite quick to pick up the rules but allows for strategic play and there would appear to be plenty of potential player interaction, in the form of scuppering their plans.

I have only played a short tester game with 2 players but I got enough of a feel to say that I really like the way this plays. I love the way they have integrated theme into the cards and rituals etc.

I look forward to playing this again with a full set of players and I anticipate this will be brutal but entertaining.

I had heard nothing of this game prior to it turning up on my FLGS new games list, so after a little research of the Facebook page and reading the Rulebook decided to take a chance. A chance that was well worth taking, excellent game, well designed and takes pride of place in my collection.

I ramble but I hope this helps people get more of an idea about the game.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2014, 17:23:53 »

Despite the book being close to unreadable,  I've always had a soft spot for Gormenghast. The BBC mini series with that welsh lad as Steerpike was deliciously strange.

What is the objective of the game? What role do you play?
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2014, 19:36:01 »

You play a steerpike like character manipulating the house occupants to win victory tokens to try and become the head off rituals.

You explore the house by putting down tiles which may bring on additional characters or artifacts to help in completing your plot cards.

It's a great game that I need to get a few more plays of.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Snakes in the Tiki Lounge
Burton Delvers
Psychotic

« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2014, 23:14:50 »

A whole swathe of swelter's grubby children, loose on Gormenghast and scheming their way through society? I'd certainly give it a shot, assuming i get a chance at some point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: