Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
19 March 2024, 09:40:05 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
Errr - Arthur Dent
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkham Horror (Files): Mansions of Madness  (Read 16239 times)
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 10 October 2010, 20:42:43 »

Mansions of Madness

Horrific monsters and spectral presences lurk in manors, crypts, schools, monasteries, and derelict buildings near Arkham, Massachusetts. Some spin dark conspiracies while others wait for hapless victims to devour or drive insane. It’s up to a handful of brave investigators to explore these cursed places and uncover the truth about the living nightmares within.

Designed by Corey Konieczka, Mansions of Madness is a macabre game of horror, insanity, and mystery for two to five players. Each game takes place within a pre-designed story that provides players with a unique map and several combinations of plot threads. These threads affect the monsters that investigators may encounter, the clues they need to find, and which climactic story ending they will ultimately experience. One player takes on the role of the keeper, controlling the monsters and other malicious powers within the story. The other players take on the role of investigators, searching for answers while struggling to survive with their minds intact.

Do you dare enter the Mansions of Madness?

Mansions of Madness includes:

1 Rulebook, Investigator Guide, and Keeper Guide
8 Investigator Figures and 24 Monster Figures
Over 300 cards
Over 200 Tokens and Markers
15 detailed Map Tiles
Nearly 70 Puzzle Tiles
1 Ten-Sided Die

Mansions of Madness FAQ

The copyrightable portions of Mansions of Madness and its expansions are © 2011-2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Mansions of Madness, its expansion titles, Arkham Horror and Fantasy Flight Supply are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2013, 11:57:41 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2011, 14:41:35 »

Mansions of Madness: Season of the Witch Expansion

A bright young Miskatonic University student has disappeared, having checked in to an infamous Arkham boarding house to study its reported supernatural properties. Now, as the celebration of Walpurgis Eve approaches, you and your fellow investigators are tasked with venturing into the decaying Witch House and solving a mystery that has plagued Arkham for generations. But are you prepared to face the horrors that await you?

Season of the Witch is a Print on Demand story expansion for Mansions of Madness! Designed by Richard Launius (Arkham Horror, Elder Sign), Season of the Witch is a single-scenario expansion that sends players on a tense and terrifying race against the clock. Can you solve the mysteries of the Witch House before they consume Arkham forever?

Season of the Witch includes:

Three double-sided reference sheets
    Two Keeper Action cards
    Five Event cards
    Three Objective cards
    37 Clue and Exploration cards
    11 Lock and Obstacle cards
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 14:50:48 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2011, 14:43:11 »

Mansions of Madness: The Silver Tablet Expansion

A promising professor has absconded with university property – an ancient and mysterious silver tablet. Now, you’ve been hired to search her manor for clues to her whereabouts... all while treating the matter with the utmost discretion. But what darker secrets does the tablet hold, and why did Professor Wolcott cut off all communication with the outside world?

The Silver Tablet is a Print on Demand story expansion for Mansions of Madness! This gripping story tasks players with solving the horrifying mystery behind an ancient artifact... all while resisting its sinister powers.

The Silver Tablet includes:

Three double-sided reference sheets
    Two Keeper Action cards
    Five Event cards
    Three Objective cards
    Nearly fifty Clue, Exploration, Lock, and Obstacle cards
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 14:51:21 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2011, 14:47:34 »

Mansions of Madness: Forbidden Alchemy Expansion

The one unbroken lamp in the ransacked laboratory illuminates a small, slug-like creature wriggling on a glass dish. The notes next to it are covered with a bizarre mix of mathematical formulae and arcane symbols. Suddenly, a thick stream of ichor falls across the notes from somewhere above you. Your blood chills as you unholster your revolver. Something growls at you from the rafters.

Forbidden Alchemy is a horrifying expansion for Mansions of Madness that presents investigators with three new tales of scientific horror, plus a host of new components for their existing stories! This comprehensive expansion contains four new heroes and two new monster types, plus never-before-seen rules and components for Alchemy puzzles, Side Effect cards, mutations, crawling hands, and even time travel. Do you dare face the eldritch horrors that lurk within? Visit our Forbidden Alchemy website to learn more.

Forbidden Alchemy includes:

140 mini American cards
    83 standard American cards
    8 detailed plastic figures
    6 map tiles
    40 tokens and markers

Forbidden Alchemy FAQ
« Last Edit: 31 December 2011, 15:56:00 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2011, 15:55:11 »

Further Details on Forbidden Alchemy
An FAQ and instructions for receiving replacement components

Only the initial shipment of Forbidden Alchemy was affected.

To determine whether your copy of Forbidden Alchemy already includes the corrected components, simply check the cover of your included Keeper Guide and Rules of Play/Investigator Guide booklets. If the tag “Revised Printing” appears on their covers, you have a corrected copy and no further action on your part is needed.

FFG will ship free replacement parts (via standard mail) to customers affected by the errors in the initial shipment of Forbidden Alchemy (English Edition). In addition, as an apology for their trouble, such customers will also receive a free copy of FFG’s new Arkham Horror novel Dance of the Damned with their replacement parts (while supplies last).

If you require these replacement components, please contact our customer service department by emailing customerservice@fantasyflightgames.com. In the subject line, type “Forbidden Alchemy Replacement Components” and include your name and mailing address in the body of the email.

We will begin shipping corrected components, along with your copy of Dance of the Damned, as soon as we receive them (please allow 8-10 weeks for production and processing).

Affected customers will receive the following replacement components:
  • “Wrong Turn” Mythos card
  • “Bone Saw” Starting Item card
  • “Sword Cane” Starting Item card
  • “Studies on Hysteria” Starting Item card
  • “Memory Hole” Side Effect card
  • “Return of the Reanimator: Objective 1B” Objective card
  • “Fire and Vengeance: Return of the Reanimator III” Event card
  • “It’s Him!: Return of the Reanimator IV” Event card
  • “Yellow Matter: Objective 1C” Objective card
  • Rules of Play/Investigator Guide book (Revised Printing)
  • Keeper Guide book (Revised Printing)

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2011, 15:59:45 »

For those with Mansions of Madness but are not planning to buy Forbidden Alchemy you can obtain by the replacement cards for the core set by following the instractions on the support page for the core product

Mansion of Madness Replacement Cards

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2013, 11:21:54 »

“It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train—a shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over the tunnel-filling front that bore down upon us, crushing the frantic penguins and slithering over the glistening floor that it and its kind had swept so evilly free of all litter. ”
      –H. P. Lovecraft, At The Mountains of Madness

It started out as a harmless boast in a quiet Innsmouth pub. But what seemed an unlikely drunken yarn will quickly become a living nightmare, as you and your fellow investigators set out to find the truth behind rumors of ghastly human reanimation! Can you solve the mystery behind these gruesome rituals, or will become their next unholy sacrifice?

‘Til Death Do Us Part is the third Print on Demand story expansion for Mansions of Madness! Designed by Tom Jolly (Cave Troll, Wiz-War), ‘Til Death Do Us Part tells a story of love, loss, and dark arcane rituals. Enlist the posthumous aid of an unlikely killer’s past victims... or you might just join them for eternity.

‘Til Death Do Us Part includes:
  • Three double-sided reference sheets
  • Two Keeper Action cards
  • Five Event cards
  • Three Objective cards
  • 35 Clue and Exploration cards
  • Four Infection cards
  • Nine Lock and Obstacle cards
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 11:26:34 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2013, 11:23:25 »

I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
     –H.P. Lovecraft, The Outsider

An influential film director is holding a screening of his latest production in the abandoned estate Whale Manor, and you’ve been asked to attend! There’s just one catch: Whale Manor is haunted by the spirits of dead actors, all of whom are cursed to relive the drama of their films again and again.

House of Fears, a Print on Demand story expansion for Mansions of Madness, is now available on our webstore! This cinematic adventure by acclaimed novelist Tracy Hickman thrusts players into a living 1920’s movie. But can they escape the horror before the film’s tragic ending?

House of Fears includes:
  • Three double-sided reference sheets
  • Thirty-eight Exploration Cards
  • Six Lock Cards and four Obstacle Cards
  • Five Event Cards
  • Three Objective Cards
  • Two Keeper Action Cards
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 11:28:06 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2013, 11:24:35 »

“...after stumbling queerly upon the hellish and forbidden book of horrors the two learn, among other hideous things which no sane mortal should know, that this talisman is indeed the nameless Yellow Sign handed down from the accursed cult of Hastur."
     –H.P. Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror in Literature

Julian Glen, a talented up-and-coming playwright, has penned a work that he claims will be his masterpiece. There’s only one problem...it’s turning its audience into mindless fanatics! As some of the few audience members to retain your sanity, you and the other investigators must now work together to find Glen and uncover his true plot.

Fantasy Flight Games is please to announce The Yellow Sign, a Print on Demand story expansion for Mansions of Madness! Based on a design by a collaboration of fans at FFG’s Arkham Nights 2011, The Yellow Sign thrusts players into a house filled with deranged actors. Can you survive until your next curtain call? Head to our webstore to place your order!

The Yellow Sign includes:
  • 35 Exploration Cards
  • 4 Lock Cards and 5 Obstacle Cards
  • 4 King’s Court Cards and 4 Event Cards
  • 3 Objective Cards and 3 Keeper Action Cards
  • 3 Rules Sheets
« Last Edit: 25 March 2013, 11:29:25 by Zarniwoop » Logged

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2013, 11:38:54 »

Briefly summarized, it hinted at a hidden race of monstrous beings which lurked somewhere among the remoter hills - in the deep woods of the highest peaks, and the dark valleys where streams trickle from unknown sources. These beings were seldom glimpsed, but evidences of their presence were reported by those who had ventured farther than usual up the slopes of certain mountains or into certain deep, steep-sided gorges that even the wolves shunned.
–H.P. Lovecraft, The Whisperer in Darkness

An Ancient Evils Dwells In These Woods.

There is something here that despises life. I feel malignant hatred, focused on me like red eyes burning through the under brush. She is here, I know it. Her thousand young stir around me. I sense them with the hairs on the back of my neck. They have waited, plotted for centuries, and now we are all doomed. Out here, in the middle of nowhere, my screams will go unheard. The shadows will swallow my voice as the trees close in around me.

Welcome to Call to the Wild, an expansion that takes Mansions of Madness into dark, untamed corners of the wilderness.

The main feature of this expansion lies in its five revolutionary stories. Each story provides a startlingly unique experience, from a fully cooperative story about survival and betrayal to a surprising role reversal that requires the keeper to explore and even attempt puzzles. Each story shakes the foundation of what players expect from Mansions of Madness.

Call of the Wild also includes horrifying new monsters, clever investigators, and nearly 200 cards that further enhance the Mansions of Madness experience.

Just pray that you escape these woods alive.

Game Contents:
  • 1 Rulebook/Investigator Guide
  • 1 Keeper Guide
  • 34 Keeper Action Cards
  • 34 Event Cards
  • 24 Combat Cards
  • 4 Investigator Character Cards
  • 5 Ally Character Cards
  • 7 Objective Cards
  • 42 Exploration Cards
  • 31 Ally Story Cards
  • 24 Mythos Cards
  • 20 Clue Cards
  • 16 Trait Cards
  • 12 Spell Cards
  • 10 Delusion Cards
  • 9 Trauma Cards
  • 8 Trail Cards
  • 7 Starting Item Cards
  • 6 Mania Cards
  • 4 Lock Cards
  • 1 Obstacle Card
  • 13 Monster Tokens
  • 11 Threat Tokens
  • 11 Map Tiles
  • 11 Damage Tokens
  • 6 Pit Feature Markers
  • 10 Special Story Choice Markers
  • 8 Curse Tokens
  • 10 Horror Tokens
  • 6 Ritual Puzzle Pieces
  • 6 Ritual Clue Tokens
  • 5 Ally tokens
  • 1 Ritual Setup Tile
  • 1 Boat Feature Marker
  • 4 Plastic Investigator Figures
  • 11 Plastic Monster Figures

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Forum Staff
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2016, 01:09:18 »

Mansions of Madness Second Edition

Announcing an App-Driven Horror Board Game for One to Five Players

#MansionsofMadness

I think I am going crazy. It may be that all I have ever written you is a dream or madness. It was bad enough before, but this time it is too much. They talked to me last night—talked in that cursed buzzing voice and told me things that I dare not repeat to you. I heard them plainly over the barking of the dogs, and once when they were drowned out a human voice helped them.
    –
H.P. Lovecraft, The Whisperer in the Darkness

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to invite you to return to the insanity in Mansions of Madness Second Edition, the app-driven horror board game inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

What's new in Mansions of Madness Second Edition?

Veteran investigators can find key clues about the changes in our FAQ section below.

This fully cooperative adventure will take you and up to four fellow investigators through the dark and desolate halls and alleyways of Arkham. Much like the original Mansions of Madness, the second edition sends you through a series of thrilling and confounding scenarios in which you must explore unpredictable maps haunted by bloodthirsty monsters, in order to solve intricate puzzles and uncover ominous secrets. Focus your mind and grab a weapon…fast! The game will be available everywhere next Thursday, August 4.

While the haunting spirit of the classic favorite remains the same, Mansions of Madness Second Edition’s innovative app takes a new and unique approach the sinister Arkham universe. In removing the need for a Keeper player, the app enables you to play a fully cooperative game, and shrouds each scenario’s randomized secrets in complete and utter darkness. Throughout every game, the app generates an entirely unique map, full of differing items to utilize, monsters to confront, and events to endure. Instead of the map being fully visible from the start of the game, however, the app obscures the majority of the board in shadows until you endeavor to explore further. 

Something Has Happened

Spine-chilling creatures will pursue you through claustrophobic and daunting scenarios as you search for answers to Arkham’s many mysteries. Your quest for truth and respite may take you through a looming mansion or down the deserted streets of Innsmouth, but no two games will ever be the same. Should you choose, for instance, to investigate the puzzling happenings at the Vanderbilt mansion in Cycle of Eternity, you will find yourself entering the same foyer and seeking the same ultimate truth every time. But through each door beyond lies the unknown, as the map and the monsters hiding in its shadows change with every play.

Whichever identity you assume will have great bearing on your ability to conquer the monsters and mysteries before you. Each of the eight keen investigators is gifted with unique skills, abilities, and attributes, and may either take you down the road to success…or to madness. The athletic Rita Young, for example, is strong and willful, able to take up to nine physical damage before failing to overcome the pain. Wendy Adams, on the other hand, can take only six damage, but little Wendy has a keener eye and a less fragile mind. Each of your investigator’s six skills: strength, agility, observation, lore, influence, and will, have the chance to help you escape a terrible fate. Find yourself overwhelmed by injury or insanity, though, and your whole world may unravel.

Step Into The Shadows

Once you begin playing your chosen scenario, the companion app will serve to guide you every nerve-wracking step of the way. In removing the need for a Keeper player, the app allows you and your fellow investigators to play a fully cooperative game, seeking out each clue and fighting every monster as a team. Should you desire to confront whatever waits in the shadows by yourself, the app even supports single-player games. 

Not only does the app take over the responsibilities of the Keeper, but it does so in a wholly unpredictable way, randomly generating the scenario’s map, the monsters that haunt it, and the paralyzing events you will have to endure, all in unique combinations every time. While your ultimate objective remains the same, each unexpected and twisted detail will be exposed as you explore the map and the the app reveals its gruesome secrets to you. The rooms still concealed behind closed doors and the terrors within, however, will remain unknown to you until you are able to reach them.

Extend The Experience

If you are no stranger to the investigations of Mansions of Madness and still in possession of the investigator minis, monster figures, and map tiles from the first edition of the game, you can incorporate them into the adventures featured in this edition. You do not need the conversion kit in order to play Mansions of Madness Second Edition, though its contents combined with the first edition components will greatly expand the possibilities within your game. The terrifying Dunwich Horror, the haunting Cthonian, and 15 other monsters from the first edition may linger to haunt you in the second. You may also make use of 16 additional investigators, by pairing the new cards with your existing figures in order to further customize your second edition investigative team. In order to use these first edition components, simply input which items you already have into the app, and the horrors within will haunt and expand your game.

There Is No Escape

The unnatural and vicious monsters of Arkham await your bold entry into the terrifying world of Mansions of Madness Second Edition. Prepare to advance your team of investigators through dark and desolate halls and alleys, fighting back the bloodthirsty fiends and solving intricate puzzles as you discover the truth and save this cursed region from a horrible fate. Can you feel your spine tingling? The horror is just around the corner…

Mansions of Madness Second Edition will be available at your local retailer, online, and at GenCon Indy 2016 starting next Thursday, August 4. Come back tomorrow for more news on this exciting new title!

Frequently Asked Questions

What’s new in the Second Edition?

Mansions of Madness Second Edition is now guided by a companion app that removes the need for a Keeper player, makes for a fully cooperative game, allows for single player gaming, and makes setup quick and easy. 

Can I combine this with my first edition of Mansions of Madness?

Mansions of Madness Second Edition includes a conversion kit, which is designed to incorporate your first edition Mansions of Madness investigator figures, monster figures, and map tiles into the game. These additional components will significantly expand the app’s choices when generating maps and monsters, as well as the set of investigators from which you can choose. 

Can I play the game without the app?

No. Because the app is in integral part of gameplay, and generates each scenario and all of the game’s tiles and events, you cannot play Mansions of Madness Second Edition without the app. 

Where can I download the app?

The app will be available for iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows. You will be able to download it from the AppleiOS AppStore™, the Google Play™ store, or the Amazon Appstore. It will also be available for Mac and PC on Steam.

Discuss this article
in our forums!

Back to all news

Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2016, 01:24:02 »

The Madness Returns

A Closer Look at Mansions of Madness Second Edition

#MansionsofMadness

It is true that I have sent six bullets through the head of my best friend, and yet I hope to shew by this statement that I am not his murderer. At first I shall be called a madman—madder than the man I shot in his cell at the Arkham Sanitarium. Later some of my readers will weigh each statement, correlate it with the known facts, and ask themselves how I could have believed otherwise than as I did after facing the evidence of that horror—that thing on the doorstep.
   –H.P Lovecraft, The Thing on the Doorstep

Enter a world of horror and mystery in Mansions of Madness Second Edition, a chilling adventure game in which you must fight to maintain your sanity and discover the truth behind the closed doors of Arkham.

A gripping narrative awaits you in the upcoming edition of Mansions of Madness, with intriguing mysteries to be solved. Each scenario will immerse you in a tangled, arcane story, with a secret to be uncovered as you explore its unpredictable map, endure terrifying events, and confront savage monsters. Your search for the truth will be threatened by countless obstacles, including the limitations of your own body and mind, but with a careful combination of skills, abilities, and objects, you may just make it out with your sanity intact. 

But don’t count on it.

What’s Your Story?

At the beginning of your adventure, you will select an investigator with which to play through the game. The investigator you choose will have certain health and sanity values, a special ability, and a number of skills. The values you need to pay careful attention to are health and sanity, which determine how much damage and horror you can handle before the forces of Arkham take their toll, causing insanity and wounds to varying degrees. 

Also important are your skills, which will play a significant part in how you move about the game, helping you avoid taking damage and horror in the first place. Skill checks will occur at many points throughout the game, whether you are attacking a fearsome monster, attempting to solve a complex puzzle, or simply gazing upon the mysterious painting on the wall. Whenever you perform a skill check, you will roll a number of dice equal to the value of that skill, and with enough successful results, you will be able to move forward in your investigation or attack.

Besides the inherent traits your investigator possesses, you will also have opportunities to collect clue tokens, items, and spells, all of which may help you to successfully navigate the surprises waiting around every corner. You will find clue tokens in numerous places around the map, perhaps after opening a locked drawer containing useful items, interrogating the nervous butler for valuable clues, or reading through a cryptic journal entry in order to learn more about the hallowed halls you’ve been tasked to explore.  On your skill rolls, clue tokens will enable you to convert investigation results into successful results, bettering your chance at success. However, your clues are limited, and deciding when you use them can be a challenging choice, indeed.

The Key to All Your Problems

Your investigators will begin the adventure with a small number of items and spells, but more may also be found and collected as you progress through the game. Items may vary from rugged weapons to useful trinkets, but each one provides you with a unique ability to assist you in your valiant efforts. Some effects act as constants, such as the Elder Sign Pendant, influencing your abilities for as long as you hold the item. These will enable any number of additional abilities, perhaps allowing you to roll an additional die, re-roll dice, or take extra steps while solving puzzles. Other items, such as the Holy Water, can only be used once, but often provide you with useful abilities, such as overcoming damage or horror effects and discarding cards.

You may also come across scenario-specific items, such as keys, equipment, or allies. These cards will enable you to carry out very special effects, or help you get ever closer to your goal. A locked door is sure to have a complimentary key nearby, and any culprit of a crime is likely to leave behind evidence. You may even find bits and pieces of the puzzle you’re trying to solve, in which case you’ll have to find the rest, no matter how many bloodthirsty beasts stand in your way.

The weapons and spells you find along the way will be especially useful in your fight to the finish, enabling you to perform more effective attacks, cast threatening curses, or assist your fellow investigators. A loaded pistol in the desk drawer or the recollection of a long-forgotten bravery-inducing enchantment may be the difference between maintaining your sanity or descending into the darkness of your own mind. Each tool you find will be a dim light in this dark world, blanketed in anguish and despair.

A Long Night

Throughout your investigation, you will encounter many events and monsters, whether through your own curious wanderings or the unrelenting Mythos phase. Whenever you open a door or peer down a dark hallway, you may find yourself face to face with a vicious creature, poised and waiting to strike. The attacks may be more than just physical, however. With their supernatural abilities and grotesque forms, these monsters have the ability to terrorize you in body and mind, and only through skill checks will you have any chance to resist.

When a monster goes in for a physical attack, you may be able to dodge their blow, as a keen eye for detail or well-trained agility will enhance your ability to avoid damage. If a Deep One takes a clumsy swing and you have an observation level of four, you will roll four dice. Each die you roll offers a chance to negate the damage that might be dealt to you, whether by rolling success, or by spending your clue tokens to modify investigation results. If you are unable to negate the skill check, you will suffer an amount of damage, which you will take in the form of damage cards. Some attacks may just graze you, having little to no lasting effect, while others will all but incapacitate you, challenging your physical strength.

Horror is inflicted much in the same way as pain, testing your skills against the monsters' acute capacity to destroy your mind. If you are unable to stave off the panic with will or lore, you will collect horror cards, which will also affect you to varying degrees. A Minor Shock may cause your heart to skip a beat, but reassurance will quickly find you. However, a more lasting effect will leave you broken, unable to escape the darkness in your mind, and perhaps impact your later attempts to escape the unending terror. 

Some damage and horror effects will leave you throughout the game, whether by magical healing or use of an invaluable item. If either number of cards reaches that of your health or sanity, you will face a challenge, unmatched by any you’ve yet experienced. A wounded investigator will have limited mobility for the rest of the game, and will draw ever-closer to death with every damage card received thereafter. Insanity, on the other hand, will affect each investigator differently, potentially altering their win condition or limiting their abilities. Certainly, no matter the insanity that plagues you—should you be so unfortunate as to be taken by the darkness—your fellow investigators are likely to worry. And why shouldn’t they? Madness can drive people to do crazy things…

Secrets Still To Come

The many mysteries of Mansions of Madness Second Edition are still being uncovered, so stay tuned to learn more about all of the game’s captivating elements, from the app and its deeply immersive scenarios to the conversion kit and the endless possibilities it provides. On Thursday, we will dig into the app, including its impact on game set-up, puzzle-solving, and generating events. Then on Monday, come back to learn more about the included conversion kit, exactly how it brings the monsters and map tiles from your first-edition game into the second edition, and the monster and investigator figures you will find in your game box. 

Mansions of Madness Second Edition will be available at your local retailer, online, and at GenCon Indy 2016 starting next Thursday, August 4.

Discuss this article
in our forums!

Back to all news

Regards,
Zarniwoop

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: